Subject: Does this concern anybody?... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Drake
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When UDE announced the return of the Vs System and realized they infringed on the LCG trademark from FFG, does this concern anybody that from the start of this project, UDE was either 1) incompetent or 2) knew what they were doing was wrong and did it anyways?

While I badly want the return of the Vs System probably more than anyone, UDE isn't exactly off to a great start when it comes to credibility in light of what happened at GenCon.

Personally, I think UDE should assign the rights to this game to FFG for a % royalty and let FFG handle the design and product of this product. Despite UDE's assurance that "they're not the same company they once were" I'm scared that with them at the helm, we're going to see a lack of playtesting, banned cards, botched production releases, power creep, and increased complexity that plagued the game just like before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to give them alittle bit of the benefit of the doubt. It also helps that
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is the lead? Dev on the project for UDE and is willing to post here. At the very least he seems to care about the project and game.

My main problem, assuming they just didn't know that LCG was trademarked by FFG is that that makes me think they haven't done alot of research into Living Card Games or spent much time looking over the various LCG communities. I think it takes a specific mindset to design a LCG like game which is much more involved IMO than just designing a CCG and making it not collectible. It looks like we have about a year to wait before we get the game so hopefully in that time they will be able to dispel the concerns some of us have so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it. Upper Deck intends to bring Vs back and decided in some broad outline of a plan: nonrandom distribution, focus on casual play. I don't think they did much beyond that. As part of the announcement, they asked the designer to put a couple of decks together, based on the original deck and sold at GenCon. Once they start designing the new iteration of the game, it appears quite likely that the cards in the GenCon 2014 edition won't even be legal. This is essentially a self contained celebratory edition, if you will.

I think upper Deck has earned well deserved credit based on their recent track record with Legendary and if they say Vs is coming back on an LCGesque format, I believe them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
The way I see it. Upper Deck intends to bring Vs back and decided in some broad outline of a plan: nonrandom distribution, focus on casual play. I don't think they did much beyond that. As part of the announcement, they asked the designer to put a couple of decks together, based on the original deck and sold at GenCon. Once they start designing the new iteration of the game, it appears quite likely that the cards in the GenCon 2014 edition won't even be legal. This is essentially a self contained celebratory edition, if you will.

I think that's a pretty comprehensive analysis of why I'd never trust UDE with a game again...

Ronaldo wrote:

I think upper Deck has earned well deserved credit based on their recent track record with Legendary and if they say Vs is coming back on an LCGesque format, I believe them.

I find nothing well deserved or creditable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Why don't you think so? I can think of a few things that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

I think that's a pretty comprehensive analysis of why I'd never trust UDE with a game again...

Ronaldo wrote:

Why is that? What do you know that I don't? I don't play Legendary but follow peripherally and it seems that they have delivered a well designed and well produced game that is supported with quality expansions in good quantity and reasonable timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timtheboywonder wrote:
When UDE announced the return of the Vs System and realized they infringed on the LCG trademark from FFG, does this concern anybody that from the start of this project, UDE was either 1) incompetent or 2) knew what they were doing was wrong and did it anyways?

While I badly want the return of the Vs System probably more than anyone, UDE isn't exactly off to a great start when it comes to credibility in light of what happened at GenCon.

Personally, I think UDE should assign the rights to this game to FFG for a % royalty and let FFG handle the design and product of this product. Despite UDE's assurance that "they're not the same company they once were" I'm scared that with them at the helm, we're going to see a lack of playtesting, banned cards, botched production releases, power creep, and increased complexity that plagued the game just like before.

Yes, very concerned. I was their booth at Gencon when they made the announcement. My buddy and I started laughing and I said, "Did they really just announce VS LCG right next to the FFG booth?" A short time later UDE was made to cover their VS banner. Despite that, the broader concern is that no effort was put into this new product at all. It's just a bunch of outdated cards from the old Marvel Origins set. The cards are the old border, old crappy art, old play mechanics. What exactly are they trying to do here? You would think they would have at least chosen cards from Marvel Legends or Marvel Evolution.

I don't think we'll be seeing VS again. It was a nice idea, but UDE does not have a good track record. I for one am not jumping back on board to play with a bunch of Marvel Origins cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey England
msg tools
mb
Look they made a mistake. It's over and done with. Let's drop the negativity and give UDE a chance to prove they're a different company like they say they are. Let's wipe the slate clean and be positive. If you can't do that and have no interest in the relaunch or UDE then just move along. Don't troll the boards sowing discontent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, just wanted to chime in here and start to do on these boards that I have been doing for Legendary for some time now. But first things first.

I would assume that most of you on the Vs side of things do not know me, although it seems some may based on Legendary. Regardless, let me explain how I like to do things on these forums and provide some insight to how I am handling the potential rebirth of VS.

1 - I am honest with the players. You may not like it, but the facts are what they are and I try to let you know what those are as best I can.

2 - Sometimes dates and plans change, it is just a reality that we all have to deal with. Just know that I will do my best to keep the curtain pulled back as much as I can if this happens.

3 - I have an OP background, I worked on the UD OP team for 5 years from 2004-2009 and was heavily involved in VS. I was responsible for managing the Sneak Preview program for all TCGs. Only saying that so you know I am familiar with the game. Hopefully you dig the Sneaks as well. whistle

4 - Lastly, Haters are gonna hate. We are going to do what we feel is right by the game and the players and it will not please everyone.

Ok, now as far as the GenCon name issue goes, it was a rush job to get it into peoples hands at the show and something was missed. I wanted to have something tangible there for people rather than just making an announcement and then turning off the mic. But it has been dealt with and we have moved on. It in no way affects future plans with the game other than we will come up with a new name.

Hopefully I'll be on this side of BGG more often but for now, I need to go post some Legendary spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

Why is that? What do you know that I don't? I don't play Legendary but follow peripherally and it seems that they have delivered a well designed and well produced game that is supported with quality expansions in good quantity and reasonable timeline.

While I enjoy Legendary and the support it receives (assuming they don't go through with the ill-advised addition of mechanism-introducing cards in their blind buy, Marvel collectors packs), I would imagine that for someone burned badly by them in the past, a single positive example in no way outweighs all of the bad things they've (allegedly ;-) ) done in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Of course we all realize the people (allegedly) responsible for those things are no longer with the company.

Or don't we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Hopefully you dig the Sneaks as well. whistle

I know how you like to drop cryptic hints in the Legendary forums. So I'm assuming that the sneak previews will be back.

Thanks for the update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Hopefully I'll be on this side of BGG more often but for now, I need to go post some Legendary spoilers.

Where have you hidden them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.