Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is a continuation of a story that started in the base game with: Lini and Merisiel take down Pillbug (0.2))

Lini and Merisiel made the long trek from Sandpoint out to the town of Turtleback Ferry, near the base of Hook Mountain. Merisiel's close ally Shalelu reported that Fort Rannick had fallen, exposing the towns and farms in the area to raids. Right as they arrived, Merisiel stopped by to enjoy the view from the wooden bridge for a bit. Lini was going to make inquiries at a farmhouse, but with her spyglass she saw Crowfood Graul, and realized it was actually part of the ogrekin compound. She informed Merisiel, and headed out to the woods.

Unfortunately, Merisiel misplaced all her weapons at the start. [NOTE: That was a rules error on my part, as I thought her favored type was Item, not Weapon.]see below) She finally found her weakest one (the impaler of thorns), but she was uncharacteristically weak in combat for the first half of the game. At the same time, Lini was having trouble remembering any of her attack spells. The two made quite a pair, cautiously tiptoeing around hoping not to find any monsters.

Fortunately, out in the woods, Lini found a secret stash. There were only 2 ranged weapons in it, but one of them was a Returning Throwing Axe +1. Lini went over and handed it to Merisiel, who felt better after that. Merisiel ducked into the farmhouse and quickly dispatched Crowfood (and a bandit who was following him around)

Lini was still moving cautiously, trying to remember her spells. Merisiel headed into Turtleback Ferry (figuring it was a bit safer than the bridge), and she burned a holy candle to gain a couple hours. In town, Merisiel encountered Shalelu's brother Jakardros (who had recently escaped from the ogres), and convinced him to join the party. Merisiel then found a Graul Ogrekin in town, and killed him. She decided not to banish her Sages Journal to close the town (a decision that would haunt them later). Townsfolk passed along rumors that Mammy Graul was getting more and more furious because Merisiel was killing her kin.

Time was running a bit short, as Lini was clearing out the woods, and Merisiel cleared out Turtleback Ferry except for one monster that Lini came over to dispatch with a good attack spell. Merisiel banished her thieves tools to close the town.

Lini went back to working in the woods, while Merisiel tried to clear out the area around the wooden bridge. Lini stumbled into Ruckus Graul and his hound. Lini realized that she didn't have to permanently close the woods, and also that killing him would make Mammy even angrier. So she just cast a sanctuary to hold him in place, and stood guard to make sure Mammy couldn't flee into the woods.

With 5 cards left in the location, Merisiel found Mammy's secret cabin by the bridge, entered, and shot Mammy full of arrows. Mission accomplished...except that Mammy wasn't actually dead! The body Merisiel shot was actually an illusion, so she had to find Mammy's real bedroom.

Merisiel explored again, and encountered a mercenary. he was conserving her blessings, and had a terrible roll, so she lost the fight. That almost never happens with her. She had to discard her sages journal, blessing of erastil, and deathbane crossbow. Ouch! At that point, it seemed pretty clear that the gals were going to fail their mission. Lini dug for blessings on her final turn, but couldn't find any.

Merisiel had just one last turn, so if she couldn't find and defeat Mammy right now, they would lose. And she only had her impaler and some junk...and no blessings at all. This didn't look good. She met a black ranger, who quickly agreed to join her. He pointed the way to Mammy, and stepped aside. Merisiel first had to evade the skeleton that was guarding Mammy. Then she stabbed with 2d8+2d6+4, needing a 21. She got about 10. Argh! Fortunately, the impaler is quick enough to allow a second stab, and on that one she rolled about 25.

What an epic finish! On the very final turn, with both gals teetering near death, with a so-so weapon and no blessings, Merisiel managed to defeat the matriarch of the ogrekin. Whew! That is at least the second scenario that the gals have won on the very last possible turn. They haven't failed a mission yet, which is pretty impressive.

Only 6 basic cards got removed from the game. Lini didn't keep anything new, although she did hand a couple items to Merisiel.

Merisiel did well, replacing her impaler with the throwing axe, and replacing her troubadour with a Black Ranger. She also chose to keep a Cloak of Elvenkind and Staff of Minor Healing to replace her thieves tools and the Chime of Unlocking. Shalelu's brother Jakardros offered to remain with the party, but Merisiel decided that he wasn't as valuable as the black ranger, so he was released to return to his other duties.

Both gals fittingly gained wisdom from this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, Meri's favorite card type IS Item, not weapon. That's why pretty much everyone automatically takes a 3rd weapon as her 1st card feat (and a lot take her final weapon card slot as her 2nd card feat too). Nice that you just squeaked it out on the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
Uh, Meri's favorite card type IS Item, not weapon. That's why pretty much everyone automatically takes a 3rd weapon as her 1st card feat (and a lot take her final weapon card slot as her 2nd card feat too). Nice that you just squeaked it out on the last turn.

Doh! I was looking at a character sheet printed off BGG, which shows her favored item type as Weapon, not Item. That's a known bug in that particular sheet, which I had forgotten.

So I was right, sadly. Yup, I think my wife is going to take a 4th weapon for her. Either that or she will just insist on a houserule that Merisiel prefers weapons to items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The story continues here: Lini and Merisiel reclaim the Fort in Peril (3.2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, she took a fourth weapon as predicted. Merisiel actually had 5 great ranged weapons to choose from at that point, so she ended up giving up a +1 Longbow. She kept her deathbane, shock, and +1 light crossbow, plus the returning throwing axe +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fred Obedoza
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

...She decided not to banish her Sages Journal to close the town (a decision that would haunt them later)...

My character Harsk had to temporarily close this location so many times during the time we ran this scenario. Not only did I lose the Sage's Journal, I also lost a Sihedron Medallion, among many other items! And we didn't even win this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.