Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Rules is a part of all boargames. I know that some comapnies do not share there game rules online while other do.

Im almost sure that it will be illegal to store and share rules for all kind of boardgames on my webpage becouse of copyright. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A better question might be, why do you want to share the rules on your site (as opposed to linking to the rules on the original company's sites)?

Will you be offering translations or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: It depends.

Slightly longer answer: it varies by owner of original rules, and by what conditions were put in place on the posted rules, and by country (or even regions within a country). If you're worried about "doing the right thing", it's a murky path trying to figure out exactly what that is for each file. A site like BGG needs to worry about rights management. Your own personal site not so much (assuming that the rules were originally published online by the publisher, and you didn't simply scan your own). If you get a take-down notice, then you can decide whether you agree to comply.

Of course IANAL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
A better question might be, why do you want to share the rules on your site (as opposed to linking to the rules on the original company's sites)?

I find it highly convenient to keep a bunch of rules in a OneDrive folder. Makes accessing rules easy on an iPad, for example, without having to maintain links across multiple websites, especially since sometimes they disappear. I happen to have a public link to it so anyone else can use it as well. I find it extremely useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:

Will you be offering translations or something else?

I get questions regarding rules to diffrent kind of boardgames from time to time, often its rules to classic games but it might also be to more "rare" games.

All I wish to do is to upload and make the rules available.

Links could be a lot of work to keep updated, compnaies changes URLs for there content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Short answer: It depends.

Slightly longer answer: it varies by owner of original rules, and by what conditions were put in place on the posted rules, and by country (or even regions within a country). If you're worried about "doing the right thing", it's a murky path trying to figure out exactly what that is for each file. A site like BGG needs to worry about rights management. Your own personal site not so much (assuming that the rules were originally published online by the publisher, and you didn't simply scan your own). If you get a take-down notice, then you can decide whether you agree to comply.

Of course IANAL.

This is what I suspected, maybe I could just upload and share them and when the company asks me to take it down I simple remove them. I need however to avoid a fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowjim wrote:
Hi,

Rules is a part of all boardgames. I know that some companies do not share there game rules online while other do.

I'm almost sure that it will be illegal to store and share rules for all kind of boardgames on my webpage because of copyright. Is this correct?

I think US law is such that all copyrights before 1923 are dead. After 1923 copyright law becomes much more tangled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make player aids instead. This site puts out quality stuff.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.