Subject: The Kaiser's plan to invade the US rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The Kaiser wanted the Panama Canal, which meant he had to invade the US first.

http://io9.com/the-secret-german-scheme-to-invade-america-be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting dream. About as as realistic as my dream of setting up a cozy love nest for me and Scarlett Johansson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the plot of this novel:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
Frohe Weihnachten!
mbmbmbmbmb
Herwig's book Politics of Frustration has a good overview of the genesis of Plans I, II and III as worked on by von Mantey and others.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:

Except, the first plan was dated 1898, the second plan was dated 1899 and the third plan was dated 1902-03 and the US didn't start work on the Canal until 1904 and didn't open until 1914.

In Tuchman's "The Zimmerman Telegram" there is a quote from a German Officer(I forget which one), "Whenever anything happens in the world, we German's make a plan".*

* may not be exact but the gist is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
An interesting dream. About as as realistic as my dream of setting up a cozy love nest for me and Scarlett Johansson.

Too late. She's become one of the machines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:

Might make an interesting wargame, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

If it's a wargame, you're doing it wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
ElCid91 wrote:
tms2 wrote:

Except, the first plan was dated 1898, the second plan was dated 1899 and the third plan was dated 1902-03 and the US didn't start work on the Canal until 1904 and didn't open until 1914.

It's not like the canal was a state secret. Everybody knew about it. The French started it. Their effort failed, but that someone would take over was pretty obvious. I doubt the Kaiser cared who finally built it, he was going to wait until it was finished, and then take it over. At least, that is how I understand the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
tms2 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

If it's a wargame, you're doing it wrong!

I don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic.

In an attempt to be charitable I'll overlook the goofy historical analogy made in the article.

The basic structure of the plan to dominate the Caribbean was essentially sound, at least from a military and diplomatic perspective. Of course, we'll have to assume Britain and France go along with the Kaiser's scheme, or at least take no action stronger than a letter of protest.

Here are the required actions:

-- Create an alliance with Mexico.
-- Foment unrest in "Occupied Cuba" and insert German advisors. The ultimate objective would be a German protectorate.
-- Follow a similar procedure in Puerto Rico.
-- Establish naval bases at strategic locations.
-- Develop a Tripartite Consul (Britain and France with Germany in real control) to advise the government of Panama... assuming that region breaks away from Columbia. This would provide a diplomatic smokescreen for officials London and Paris; they could claim the impulsive Kaiser went wild.

The response of the United States (in 1903 or any other similar era) could make a fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Interesting topic.

In an attempt to be charitable I'll overlook the goofy historical analogy made in the article.

The basic structure of the plan to dominate the Caribbean was essentially sound, at least from a military and diplomatic perspective. Of course, we'll have to assume Britain and France go along with the Kaiser's scheme, or at least take no action stronger than a letter of protest.

-- Foment unrest in "Occupied Cuba" and insert German advisors. The ultimate objective would be a German protectorate.
-- Develop a Tripartite Consul (Britain and France with Germany in real control) to advise the government of Panama... assuming that region breaks away from Columbia. This would provide a diplomatic smokescreen for officials London and Paris; they could claim the impulsive Kaiser went wild.

The response of the United States (in 1903 or any other similar era) could make a fine game.

I concur that mucking around the Caribbean had more promise than any other course of action plausibly open to Germany. This would have required some combination of better German diplomacy with Britain and France and much worse American diplomacy with the sane two powers. It's conceivable that France and Britain could see some advantage to strife between the USA and Germany, which were both upstart powers from their point of view.

The invasion of the US part of the plan is absurd, hardly more plausible than a German expedition to Mars. That Germany could land and sustain a sufficient force to win such a campaign is complete fantasy. Even the ill-prepared US Army circa 1900 would have been able to deal with a German expedition operating at the end of a cross Atlantic supply line.

At least a Caribbean campaign would mean both armies would be operating in an expeditionary way, although the American task would be considerably easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Early 20th century Europe was like a huge family with all these descendants of Victoria ruling all these countries. Of course every family needs that crazy cousin and in this case it was The Kaiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:

Teddy Roosevelt in charge and the U.S. Marines behind him?

Nothing but pain waiting for the Kaiser. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
pete belli wrote:
Interesting topic.

I concur that mucking around the Caribbean had more promise than any other course of action plausibly open to Germany. This would have required some combination of better German diplomacy with Britain and France and much worse American diplomacy with the sane two powers. It's conceivable that France and Britain could see some advantage to strife between the USA and Germany, which were both upstart powers from their point of view.

The invasion of the US part of the plan is absurd, hardly more plausible than a German expedition to Mars. That Germany could land and sustain a sufficient force to win such a campaign is complete fantasy. Even the ill-prepared US Army circa 1900 would have been able to deal with a German expedition operating at the end of a cross Atlantic supply line.

At least a Caribbean campaign would mean both armies would be operating in an expeditionary way, although the American task would be considerably easier.

This whole article makes it a lot clearer to me why WWI started. This isn't a plan about to defend themselves against American aggression. It's a plan for one of the wealthiest countries on the earth at the time to grab more turf to what ... make more money?

WWI was inevitable ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
tms2 wrote:

The US army was minuscule at the time ... but the plan is laughable ... It took the US army almost 100,000 troops and over 10 years to put down a poorly funded rebellion with no navy or industrial base in the Philippines from 1899 to 1913.

To put things in perspective ...

In WWI, it took the US army close to a year for the US army to land enough troops to influence the Western Front.

This happened:
1) With no German surface naval intervention.
2) With US troops first staging themselves in a friendly country (France).
3) With US troops being actively supplied by the hosting country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
tms2 wrote:

Come and get your whooping Mr Kaiser!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
jeb123 wrote:
In WWI, it took the US army close to a year for the US army to land enough troops to influence the Western Front.

I'd put it, "It took the US army only a year to land enough troops in Europe to influence the western front." We started from a dead stop. We had a tiny army and a not much bigger National Guard. We had no conscription. We had to create an army from scratch, train and equip it, and get it across the ocean. That's not a bad performance.

By comparison, Kitchener's New Army did not see action until about a year after the war began, about the same as our new army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

I'd put it, "It took the US army only a year to land enough troops in Europe to influence the western front." We started from a dead stop. We had a tiny army and a not much bigger National Guard. We had no conscription. We had to create an army from scratch, train and equip it, and get it across the ocean. That's not a bad performance.

By comparison, Kitchener's New Army did not see action until about a year after the war began, about the same as our new army.

I have to agree. This was much like the civil war. The country didn't have a large standing army. It was built largely from scratch in a short amount of time and performed very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a plan for one of the wealthiest countries on the earth at the time to grab more turf to what ... make more money?

This was the Age of Imperialism.

Colonial possessions were status symbols for the Great Powers.

It is important to remember that Germany had almost clashed with the USA in Samoa and the Philippines. During the Age of Imperialism a direct attack on another Great Power was considered to be bad form. However, a muscular foreign policy was OK, even if it lead to the occasional diplomatic crisis. The Great Powers were fortunate that none of these incidents lead to a regional conflict during the period before WWI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
pete belli wrote:
It is important to remember that Germany had almost clashed with the USA in Samoa and the Philippines. During the Age of Imperialism a direct attack on another Great Power was considered to be bad form. However, a muscular foreign policy was OK, even if it lead to the occasional diplomatic crisis. The Great Powers were fortunate that none of these incidents lead to a regional conflict during the period before WWI.

War being averted in Samoa by a hurricane that destroyed all the American and German ships present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
jeb123 wrote:

This whole article makes it a lot clearer to me why WWI started. This isn't a plan about to defend themselves against American aggression. It's a plan for one of the wealthiest countries on the earth at the time to grab more turf to what ... make more money?

WWI was inevitable ...

The whole thing struck me as the German navy thrashing around for a reason to exist, and eventually finding none - at least in the Caribbean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GLENN239 wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

WWI was inevitable ...

The whole thing struck me as the German navy thrashing around for a reason to exist, and eventually finding none - at least in the Caribbean.

The German navy existed to protect its colonial empire, which existed to provide bases for the German navy, which existed to ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
airjudden wrote:
tms2 wrote:

The US army was minuscule at the time ... but the plan is laughable ... It took the US army almost 100,000 troops and over 10 years to put down a poorly funded rebellion with no navy or industrial base in the Philippines from 1899 to 1913.

To put things in perspective ...

This happened:
1) With no German surface naval intervention.
2) With US troops first staging themselves in a friendly country (France).
3) With US troops being actively supplied by the hosting country.

But...we had Marines!

And as the Kaiser learned at Belleau Wood: if you mess with Marines, you'd better bring a large supply of body bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
tms2 wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

I have to agree. This was much like the civil war. The country didn't have a large standing army. It was built largely from scratch in a short amount of time and performed very well.

Agreed but I think your missing the point ... the logistical buildup is the likely bottleneck not troop availability. How many troops many German troops could they send at once and effectively supply while in active combat operations? 100,000 troops? You can have millions of troops in Europe but the logistics may mean you can only afford to send and supply a small percentage of those troops. How much of their cargo capacity would be required simply to supply and provide munitions to the first wave of troops on the ground using coal burning transports?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.