Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This quest is a standout. I had a ton of fun, even though I did beat it in one go (in a way, more value is to be had out of quests where you lose, then deck build to win it). What I enjoyed is...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
since the quest reduces your threat in the first stage as you make progress...

you can try out a secrecy deck (which I have yet to enjoy)!

I find the game had no particular "WTF" cards that other quests tend to have, while still having strong enemies, good locations and treacheries that really gave you choice (rather than OMG or OMG)... Don't miss one new mechanism never seen before, a location that goes to the victory display but still affects gameplay (it will tell you that "while it is in the victory display" it does something.)

Player card wise, I immediately enjoyed adding in Gwaihir, and I got to see him enter play (and win the game when he quested!).

The hero, Haldir of Lorien, is rather underwhelming, to me. I realized how he might have been interesting to use during this quest, but I felt he reminded me of the other hero that can attack the staging area... anyways, I didn't use him.

Particular other play cards I'll highlight:
- a spirit card that let's you get +2 willpower for 1 cost, and you can get it back to your hand if your threat is < 20
- a new, pretty strong healing option you attach to a hero to ready AND heal up to 3 damage, for 1 cost
- an ally readying every time a silvan ally leaves play, although he has a high cost for his low stats, so you do have to factor that in

(See the full list of cards at http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC28)

In closing, note that I usually don't bother posting quest reviews on finishing the quest, but I felt this one was worth highlighting. That in an of itself, is an endorsement to owning this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:

The hero, Haldir of Lorien, is rather underwhelming, to me. I realized how he might have been interesting to use during this quest, but I felt he reminded me of the other hero that can attack the staging area... anyways, I didn't use him.

I found Haldir to be excellent in this quest. I played a Silvan deck with him, Celeborn, and Legolas. With a Rivendell Blade and zblade of Gondolin, he was able to snipe most of the enemies from the Staging Area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this two player last night. Began with two Gondor/Rohan decks with relatively high threat (29 and 30). Couldn't get enough WP going to drop threat in time. Spies engaged with us, and their attacks dropped time counters. Threated out in five-six turns.

We retooled and came back with an Elrond/Mirlonde/Eowyn deck and a Celeborn/Glorfindel/Haldir deck. 12 turn slog, but we did win. Really enjoyed the Tharbad Hideout location (so useful!). Our MVP was the new Galadhrim Minstrel, as she seemed to be able to draw out Feign Voices at just the right time. This allowed the Silvan player to engage those Mordor spies without triggering their attack effect.

Definitely an original quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree whole heartedly. With the difficulty level of the previous two scenarios, I was beginning to get frustrated again by this game that forces you to use the same best cards to ever have a win chance. This scenario was interesting, fun, thematic, and had a difficulty level I wish was average of for most of the quests. Had a lot of fun with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun quest! After the highly cerebral, strategic first quest and mildly stressful second quest, this one was fun to play through a couple times. It seems like this this one will end up being the Encounter of Amon Din of this cycle; a fun, not-too-difficult quest that is very one-deck friendly with an interesting theme to it. I really enjoy quests that are city based as well, so that was another plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Olli
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
With the difficulty level of the previous two scenarios, I was beginning to get frustrated again by this game that forces you to use the same best cards to ever have a win chance.

I couldn't agree more! What I read here about Tharbad Sounds very good indeed. Maybe I will get this AP and give the Quest a go. On the other side it's DL=4, just like the Nine-in-Eilph and that one was REALLY annoying and frustratingly difficult imo...

Edit: If it is anything like Amon Dîn, that's great because that is my favourite Quest of all time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.