Subject: Ameritrash recommendation without a battle system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is like asking for a euro without cubes, but are there any great ameritrash games that don't have a fighting theme in it, where you attack your opponents and take "hit points" and things like that? A lot I've been looking at seem to be that way.

I'd really like to broaden my game collection which is largely euros.

Only other criteria are: plays well with 2 players; not extremely heavy; not longer than about 2 hours though I can make exceptions on that one.

Thanks. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Rahdo Runs through series, https://www.youtube.com/user/rahdo. Almost all of the games he covers are 2 player and non-combat oriented because he mostly plays with his wife. They're big euro fans, but he has got a top ten themed games video that might give you some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Edit: do you mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgU_E5gAMHg&list=UUoLvU6o3Jn... cos that's about thematic euros.

Edit2: Found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYNRTROPu4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ameritrash without combat is pretty rare, but without coflict actually easier as there's a specific kind of ameritrash which is low on interaction: dungeoncrawler, adventure. And if you think co-ops are fine, it's pretty easy to find such games.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - but beware, it's something that might go against expectations of many about what a game is. There's no competiting in here that makes sense (somebody does win, but there's no merit or skill behind it). It's just a ride which involves the group passing the book or encounters and reading from it to each other. Works with 2 - but it's more fun with 3-4 just because of more friendly atmosphere. Agents of SMERSH is said to be a similar type of game (with a more co-op feel), but probably harder to find.

Arkham Horror / Eldritch Horror - long cooperative games which are all about atmosphere and some cooperation. And killing some monsters along the way - hey, the future of the world is at stake. Works with 2, but pretty brutal. Easier with more players.

Never played "pure" solitarish dungeoncrawlers, but Runebound (Second Edition) is this. If you're fine by the game killing you there's also DungeonQuest Revised Edition (probably not, but so, that you know...).

There are several games of one VS many - if that's fine with you. Mansions of Madness is one (though it's for my tastes too expensive for the limited replayability, but if people like plastic there's a lot of plastic.) And yes, you do fight. Fury of dracula is purer in that one person runs (Dracula) and four people try to catch them.

Android - an interesting game. A lot of rules and pieces, and it's is confrontational, but you're not attacking each other. Rather you're the bad events that happen to other people (sounds weird, but works). The cyberpunk game as far as I'm concerned. But it's a behemoth. Plays 3 players.

But, let's move to games which aren't ameritrash, but could deliver you with a thematic ride and low confrontation:
Galaxy Trucker - build spaceships and them watch them fall apart. 2 player works well.
Terror in Meeple City - is it a toy or a game? Who cares? Flick disks, blow into buildings, kick over other monsters. Whee! Again - more people.
Then there are heavier cooperative games, which are euros, but have theme - like Mage Knight Board Game and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

EDIT: Oh, I forgot Thunderstone. Which is basically a deckbuilder with a dungeoncrawl theme - low intereaction, scales well 2-3. And my GF enjoys it a lot (she's into fantasy theme. Also likes Arkham Horror a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
...have a fighting theme in it, where you attack your opponents...

-Quote from the "Ameritrash" entry in the "Gaming Dictionary" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These aren't what some would regard as "pure" thematic but they're certainly (for me, at any rate) immersive and less "euro-y" than most euros...

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - a semi co-op where, whilst there is combat against villains, it's an all-or-nothing system where they're defeated outright. The competition between players is about who defeats the most valuable villains.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple - Co-op realtime dice rolling running through an Indiana Jones - style temple

K2 - You vs. the mountain in what can quite a cut-throat battle for survival

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Co-op where you are firefighters rescuing people from a burning building

Mage Knight Board Game - Complex, long, puzzly, but a fantastic adventure game with levelling up, gaining skills and a real sense of character progression

Tobago Building treasure maps from clues and wandering around a tropical island picking up treasure with mysterious rotating statues. Gorgeous components, just pretend your pirates instead of ATV drivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, what is it about Ameritrash that you want to garner?I'm hoping to help with a recommendation, but I don't understand the desire to have an Ameritrash game without that key ingredient of conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what is it about Ameritrash that you want to garner?I'm hoping to help with a recommendation, but I don't understand the desire to have an Ameritrash game without that key ingredient of conflict

I'm just wary that my collection is entirely euros so I wanted to try something different. So I started to watch some reviews of ameritrash games and they all tended to have that combat element to them. Like I said to begin with, I don't know if the combat is what makes them ameritrash and if so then I obviously don't have an interest in them, and that's ok. Mainly I'm just looking to try something different... but without the combat meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
Android - an interesting game. A lot of rules and pieces, and it's is confrontational, but you're not attacking each other. Rather you're the bad events that happen to other people (sounds weird, but works). The cyberpunk game as far as I'm concerned. But it's a behemoth. Plays 3 players.

Android plays perfectly well with 2 players as well. I don't know if I would want to try with 5. 3-4 players is probably the best. The confrontationalism in the game is not the usual kind, for a thematic game it is pretty indirect. If you talk about the dark cards, they are more because you took a risk and was spellbound by your demons than other players being deliberately nasty to you.

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you.

I wish I could get this played more than once a year. :}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:

I'm just wary that my collection is entirely euros so I wanted to try something different. So I started to watch some reviews of ameritrash games and they all tended to have that combat element to them. Like I said to begin with, I don't know if the combat is what makes them ameritrash and if so then I obviously don't have an interest in them, and that's ok. Mainly I'm just looking to try something different... but without the combat meeple

Just stick with Euros. There is plenty of variety within the Euro genre.

Or if you really want to mimic Ameritrash, just buy a handful of dice and a deck of cards. Each player rolls handfuls of dice and draw random cards from the top of the deck. Each player starts with 100 points (I mean health). One player chooses another rolls a bunch of dice and draws 2 cards. Add up all values and reduce that players health by the added value. Repeat in turn order until only one player remains. If you want a non conflict variant, everyone starts with 0 points (I mean mana). Follow the same rules until the first person reaches 100 mana. To make it more thematic, just tell a story while rolling dice and drawing cards, preferably about goblins or space travel.

Thinking of copyrighting this game. Though, I'm kind of worried about infringing on the copyrights of hundreds of Ameritrash games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:

I think that is the root of my question: why theddislike of combat /measurable conflict? Definitely not looking to debate your feelings in thematter, but just curious.

Ameritrash's charm for me is that it's like a boxing match :using tactics and strategy to accomplish the goal of beating the tar out of someone. Victory points validity is debatable. But your opponent complete annihilation is not ☺

What about light and simple conflict in that case? There is one euro Ameritrash hybrid you might like if that was permissible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Thinking of copyrighting this game. Though, I'm kind of worried about infringing on the copyrights of hundreds of Ameritrash games.

I don't care one way or another. None of my thematic games are like those. whistle

(You seem to have quite a narrow view of ameritrash. Or maybe you actually classify some of them euros then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And sorry, my phone's keyboard hates this site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
qudoz wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:

I think that is the root of my question: why theddislike of combat /measurable conflict? Definitely not looking to debate your feelings in thematter, but just curious.

Ameritrash's charm for me is that it's like a boxing match :using tactics and strategy to accomplish the goal of beating the tar out of someone. Victory points validity is debatable. But your opponent complete annihilation is not ☺

What about light and simple conflict in that case? There is one euro Ameritrash hybrid you might like if that was permissible.

I don't really know tbh. When I'm watching a review and it starts going on about hit points I lose interest. I can't really say more than that. But I *do* like conflict in euros (rare, I know) and enjoy games with screwage. It's just the direct combat and hit points thing that just turns me off. Dunno if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:
qudoz wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:

I don't really know tbh. When I'm watching a review and it starts going on about hit points I lose interest. I can't really say more than that. But I *do* like conflict in euros (rare, I know) and enjoy games with screwage. It's just the direct combat and hit points thing that just turns me off. Dunno if that helps.

I am not sure if this can be a recommendation or not
But if you can give this a quick look and tell me (us?) if that could be acceptable that would help me understand what you may like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
I am not sure if this can be a recommendation or not
But if you can give this a quick look and tell me (us?) if that could be acceptable that would help me understand what you may like...

Give what a quick look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat is simple and simply eliminates units, but Cyclades has a great auction component along with other thing. This game and Kemet are great Euro /Ameritrash hybrids, but Kemet is all about combat. Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm considering Cyclades now. Not sure how the bidding would feel with 2 players, it's always felt lacking to me in other games. I'll need to watch more reviews. Kemet - I saw the words "wargame" and "miniatures" on its page and ran a mile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You each get two turns to bid and cannot bid on the same thing you just lost on with the same token . You can outbid yourself and then move the former bid back to what you lost out on. It's very clever for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
Thanks! I'm considering Cyclades now. Not sure how the bidding would feel with 2 players, it's always felt lacking to me in other games. I'll need to watch more reviews. Kemet - I saw the words "wargame" and "miniatures" on its page and ran a mile

Which reminds me, there is a genre of euros which kinda sorta mimics ameritrash in the conquest department: Area control/area majority games.

Some do play with 2:
- Small World (said to be more thinky with 2, I prefer it more chaotic with more). Combat yes, mostly diceless, no hit points.
- Innovation. A bit of a stretch as it's a tableau building card game, yet you try to get majorities in certain colours. And it's confrontational, chaotic, even thematic without being about direct conflict/combat.
- there are 2 player area control games of wargame style (it's technically not about combat - it's about political influence): Twilight Struggle (beatifully thematic, 3 hour long, and very much about conflict from get go - it's a tug of war), 1960: The Making of the President (90 minutes simplified version of the former. My GF actually liked it and won as Nixon).
Others of this genre don't play that well with 2, but take notice: El Grande, Dominant Species (this one might even play 2, takes brainburning 3 hours though). I wouldn't recommend Cyclades for 2 players (and wouldn't recommend Kemet at all, but that's just me - it's too euro-ey for my taste)

And speaking about thematic games, how about a wargame style cooperative game?
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
qudoz wrote:

Which reminds me, there is a genre of euros which kinda sorta mimics ameritrash in the conquest department: Area control/area majority games.

Some do play with 2:
- Small World (said to be more thinky with 2, I prefer it more chaotic with more). Combat yes, mostly diceless, no hit points.
- Innovation. A bit of a stretch as it's a tableau building card game, yet you try to get majorities in certain colours. And it's confrontational, chaotic, even thematic without being about direct conflict/combat.
- there are 2 player area control games of wargame style (it's technically not about combat - it's about political influence): Twilight Struggle (beatifully thematic, 3 hour long, and very much about conflict from get go - it's a tug of war), 1960: The Making of the President (90 minutes simplified version of the former. My GF actually liked it and won as Nixon).
Others of this genre don't play that well with 2, but take notice: El Grande, Dominant Species (this one might even play 2, takes brainburning 3 hours though). I wouldn't recommend Cyclades for 2 players (and wouldn't recommend Kemet at all, but that's just me - it's too euro-ey for my taste)

And speaking about thematic games, how about a wargame style cooperative game?
Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Thank you so much for both of your really detailed replies!

I actually have Innovation and really like it. I also have Twilight Struggle but haven't had the chance to play it yet. I've looked into Small World before and it seemed to much like just a race around the board chasing each other. Didn't appeal. But any more of these "euros which kinda sorta mimics ameritrash" I'd be interested in hearing about! Or hybrids. Is Seasons in any way a hybrid? That game was a breath of fresh air. Maybe people are right - maybe I'm better off not looking for an ameritrash game at all. Thanks again for you help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
looked into Small World before and it seemed to much like just a race around the board chasing each other. Didn't appeal. But any more of these "euros which kinda sorta mimics ameritrash" I'd be interested in hearing about! Or hybrids. Is Seasons in any way a hybrid? That game was a breath of fresh air.
Check Chaos in the Old World very good euro disguised as a very thematic AT, which when I did play it was "Smallworld but interesting". I think it fits your requirements extremely well, even inf there is a small amount of battle resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
qudoz wrote:
looked into Small World before and it seemed to much like just a race around the board chasing each other. Didn't appeal. But any more of these "euros which kinda sorta mimics ameritrash" I'd be interested in hearing about! Or hybrids. Is Seasons in any way a hybrid? That game was a breath of fresh air.
Check Chaos in the Old World very good euro disguised as a very thematic AT, which when I did play it was "Smallworld but interesting". I think it fits your requirements extremely well, even inf there is a small amount of battle resolution.

Apparently doesn't play with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have similar tastes to your goal. I have mostly Euros with a few thematic games that have minimal/no combat.

Race Games:
Robo Rally - My all time favorite game. This is a programming game where you are trying to get the robots around the board as quickly as possible. You do take damage from the board and other players but it is by no means the primary goal of the game (or even easy to do on purpose). Custom tracks means every game is different. A recommended way of playing is to give people infinite lives. Dieing hurts your chances of winning but does not eliminate you from the game.

Formula D - A great pure racing game. Lots of dice rolling. Many different tracks to keep the game interesting from one play to the next.

Jamaica - Pirate racing. Do I really need to say more? Again a small amount of direct combat here but like robo rally it happens automatically there is no decision of should I attack or not. The interesting mechanic here is dice are rolled once per round and everyone shares them but uses them differently. Very fun fast paced games since everyone plays at the same time.

PitchCar - Dexterity based racing game. It is what it looks like. Flick the car and hope to get far. Only negative is it's expensive. A ton of fun.

Light Combat (The exception to the rule)

Small World - Already mentioned here. Fun quick game with direct combat of sorts. It's fast and fun. If your team is sucking you throw them away and start with a new one (it's in the rules). Watch a video I can't describe here how much fun it is.

King of tokyo - All combat but very light. Great with familys and all adults. Since you don't get to decide who you are attacking (most of the time you are attacking multiple people at once) it takes the personal out of the game (to a degree).

Killer Bunnies - All combat all personal. But wow it's fun. Can be a little too random sometimes in the way that the deck can cause you to loose. Not a perfect game but light and fun. Not all expansions are needed. Game goes from simple to over complicated after adding a dozen expansions.

Social Games

The Resistance - Watch a video. it's 10 minutes of accusing your friends of being the enemy. Great time. I introduced it to some non gamers the other day. We played 5 straight games. No Combat

Shadow Hunters - Light combat here but at the beginning of the game you don't know who your enemy is. Game is very fast as well. Figure out who your team is and kill everyone else.

Other:

Rampage - Another dexterity game. It's a lot of fun of you like destroying things. Think Reverse jenga with theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thank you. I'm going to check those out.

Edit: which of those are good for 2? I'm seeing a lot of them are 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.