Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Whist Variation?? I can't seem to find it.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fry
msg tools
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have heard of this variation of whist. I played it when I was a kid with my mom and her "at the time" husband who is no longer around. It was one of my favorite card games.

It seemed we included all kinds of variations... here are the rules (that I can remember).

4 People (partners)
54 Cards (Hi & Lo Jokers)
Bidding Tricks before each hand
Rotating trump (based on the last card turned over)

This is where it gets weird...
10 points per trick up to your bid (1 or 5 over the bid I can't remember)
If you "Go Set" you lose 10 points per trick bid.
Diminishing # of cards... We'd START at 13 cards and work our way down to 1 then all the way back up to 13.
When the hand is at 4 cards IF you had all 4 suits, you could bet Rainbow but you'd have to win 1 trick to get the 40 points
If during ANY hand you could say Board which means you were taking all the tricks (very popular when at 1 or two cards).

I can't seem to find any version of whist that has these rules? Anyone heard of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
belacyrf wrote:
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have heard of this variation of whist. I played it when I was a kid with my mom and her "at the time" husband who is no longer around. It was one of my favorite card games.

It seemed we included all kinds of variations... here are the rules (that I can remember).

4 People (partners)
54 Cards (Hi & Lo Jokers)
Bidding Tricks before each hand
Rotating trump (based on the last card turned over)

This is where it gets weird...
10 points per trick up to your bid (1 or 5 over the bid I can't remember)
If you "Go Set" you lose 10 points per trick bid.
Diminishing # of cards... We'd START at 13 cards and work our way down to 1 then all the way back up to 13.
When the hand is at 4 cards IF you had all 4 suits, you could bet Rainbow but you'd have to win 1 trick to get the 40 points
If during ANY hand you could say Board which means you were taking all the tricks (very popular when at 1 or two cards).

I can't seem to find any version of whist that has these rules? Anyone heard of this?

Looks very similar to a game called "Blackout" in "Games According to Hoyle". Also referred to by some as "Bid Whist" or, in less polite circles,by many variations of "F*** Your Neighbour".

I always played the game without Jokers, and as an every-man-for-himself with any number of players, rather than 2 partnerships. We also began and ended with 1 card, and worked up to as many cards as could be dealt evenly, then back down.

One of those games that "grew out of the ground"...every avid card player has played it, but there are almost as many sets if rules as there are players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds a lot like Oh Hell. Not sure if the rules are here or on www.pagat.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
It sounds a lot like Oh Hell. Not sure if the rules are here or on www.pagat.com

Another family of names for it.

Oh Hell
Oh S***
The family-friendly Oh Pshaw
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.