Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at all the Add-Ons, but I'm also not wanting to stress my wallet. I'm at a point that if it's not exclusive, I'm not adding it (since I can buy it later, especially if I like or dislike the game). There are a LOT of $25 add-ons, so many that if I got them all, I'd be spending 3x as much as just the pledge. So my question is, how much will these add-ons be Retail? Am I saving money by getting the Add-Ons now, or if they're the same price (or close to is), can I just wait?

-shnar

P.S. Can I say I'm somewhat tired of Kickstarters that have tons of add-ons that you have to wade through and guess what would be a good add-on or not? I just want some simple, no-thought pledges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm looking at all the Add-Ons, but I'm also not wanting to stress my wallet. I'm at a point that if it's not exclusive, I'm not adding it (since I can buy it later, especially if I like or dislike the game). There are a LOT of $25 add-ons, so many that if I got them all, I'd be spending 3x as much as just the pledge. So my question is, how much will these add-ons be Retail? Am I saving money by getting the Add-Ons now, or if they're the same price (or close to is), can I just wait?

-shnar

P.S. Can I say I'm somewhat tired of Kickstarters that have tons of add-ons that you have to wade through and guess what would be a good add-on or not? I just want some simple, no-thought pledges...

Somebody told me they would be around 50$ but I have absolutely nothing to back that up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whatever you do, pledge $200 or more. That will get you the hardcover. Besides the four expansions, you will "need" the Black Fortress tiles to go with the additional free content. The Abyssal Dwarves are hobby miniatures (eg. assembly), so you'll end up proxying those.

I'm not finding a good answer. For Decent, it's $35 to $60 MSRP for 10-17 figures. Mantic's Loka expansions are $24 each for 18 figures but no other components (eg. tiles).

Mantic had their "one click" options in their Mars Attacks campaign, but it doesn't look like it this time. Mantic went for three different audiences (boardgamers, miniature hobbyists, collectors) this time, and when you have miniature hobbyists involved, things get complicated!

The campsign got a bit messy towards the end. I'm thinking the efreet and dragon were their real last stretch goals, and they weren't prepared past $725K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say that is probably a little high based on other Mantic Kickstarters. The Dreadball Extreme teams were $15 during the campaign but will retail for $25 when released. Based on that, would assume somewhere in the $40-$45 range for these ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I can say I am in the exact same position. It's even a stretch for me to get the exclusives. With less than 4 hours to go, I'm stressing over what I need to pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no room in this month's budget, then wait for the PM and add more then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a count for the packs including new monsters for DIY adventures.
It looks like the $30 packs would cost around $55 on their online shop. So I guess that would be where we can expect the other packs to go as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Well, whatever you do, pledge $200 or more. That will get you the hardcover. Besides the four expansions, you will "need" the Black Fortress tiles to go with the additional free content. The Abyssal Dwarves are hobby miniatures (eg. assembly), so you'll end up proxying those.

Why do you need the Black fortress tiles? Do you need it for the extra scenarios? I really didn't want to pick that up for $25. The warlord, crypts, and tyrant expansions looked worth it though, and I'd add the traps, critters and counter upgrades to hit the $200 level for the free hardback book.

And what's the 4th expansion you're talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
I'm stressing over what I need to pledge.

$200 on the Dungeon Master pledge will get you the base game (or two if you want!) and/or the expansions, and then some other goodies. It will ALSO get you the hardcover book, if that's something you'll want. Don't forget to add shipping on top of the $200.

However, if you are made of sterner stuff than I am (and face, it, it wouldn't take much) then $100 gets you a LOT of goodies (and scenarios) and puts much less of a dent in your wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:
I'm stressing over what I need to pledge.

$200 on the Dungeon Master pledge will get you the base game (or two if you want!) and/or the expansions, and then some other goodies. It will ALSO get you the hardcover book, if that's something you'll want. Don't forget to add shipping on top of the $200.

However, if you are made of sterner stuff than I am (and face, it, it wouldn't take much) then $100 gets you a LOT of goodies (and scenarios) and puts much less of a dent in your wallet.

Yeah, I'm in just for the base game game and one expansion, the expansion might still be dropped. I reeeeeally want to get some of the bling like counter upgrades and more expansions, but I would just hate having spent ~200$ on a game I just don't enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Why do you need the Black fortress tiles? Do you need it for the extra scenarios?

Yes, although if already have 2D tiles, you might be able to proxy.

Whoops -- only three expansions. Counted the BF tiles as the fourth.

Okay, Mantic. Show us the next SG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatting wrote:
I would just hate having spent ~200$ on a game I just don't enjoy.

Spending $100 on a game you don't like would be a lot too. I'm in for the goodies and the hope that it's a good game to play with the little one. He's old enough to have fun with D&DAGS and Heroquest so this one should be fun too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

I'm not finding a good answer. For Decent, it's $35 to $60 MSRP for 10-17 figures. Mantic's Loka expansions are $24 each for 18 figures but no other components (eg. tiles).

As a consumer, MSRP means absolutely nothing. Descent goes for about $59 for the base game and $24 for the big expansions online right now. There is a lot more value in that than $200 in Dungeon Saga money. Many of the figures filling DS aren't even usable in the game. I have gotten burned by backing projects at MSRP only to find them far cheaper online later.

So, I would carefully check prices online for competing games to gauge what you are actually getting. At least Descent is a known quantity.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have an early bird, there's really nothing preventing you from just pledging $1 and then adding on whatever you want when the pledge manager (and more information) is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
gversace wrote:
If you don't have an early bird, there's really nothing preventing you from just pledging $1 and then adding on whatever you want when the pledge manager (and more information) is available.

??? what ???

there's only $5 discount on the EB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
gversace wrote:

??? what ???

True. I don't understand what you're pointing out. If you have an early bird, you save $5 over pledging $1 and waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
??? what ???

Yeah. I got one, because I'm stupid. But honestly, EBs aren't worth it unless it's a BIG discount, and most projects can't afford that. I really wish they would just drop the idea of EB discounts. They create a bit of a "class" issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I was commenting on Jerry claiming that you don't need to pledge more than $1 unless you have an EB. Doesn't make a scrap on sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
He means pledge $1 now to lock you in to the KS.. then when the dust has settled, after the KS has closed you can up your bid if you wish.

There's no advantage/disadvantage to bidding $100 right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm understanding correctly there are basically four "things" one would be buying toward in this Kickstarter:

(1) Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest (i.e., "the game")

For this, you're looking at the base pledge and included extras, plus the three $25.00 expansions and the Black Fortress. Basically, if you want stuff just for "the game", this is your gameplay content.

(2) Dwarf King's Hold

For this, you've got stuff in the base pledge and three $20.00 expansions (identified as being for DKH in the pledge graphic). If my understanding is correct, those three expansions are sort of re-releases of existing miniatures (which require assembly). I believe you can still play DKH (which is an existing game they've sort of bundled into Dungeon Saga) with stuff from the $100 base pledge, but you can also buy those three expansions (which are stuff from the original game?) and play with them.

(3) King of War

This is, I believe, Mantic's miniatures battles game. A lot of the addon content is for this. Stats (but not rules) are built into stuff from the $100 base pledge.

(4) Miniatures . . . Stuff

So you like to build and paint minis. There are resin minis for you. And plastic minis. And other stuff. It's going to require assembly. There isn't necessarily a game involved with this stuff, though you can, conversely, use it in several different games.

This is basically where you go to build and paint minis.

===================

Oh, there's also some stuff to pimp out your copy of Dungeon Saga. Resin tokens, special dice and dice bags, that sort of thing.

If you're like me and you couldn't care less about (3) and (4), the sweet spot would seem to be about $200. That gets you all the gameplay-related stuff for "the game" without going completely overboard on extra stuff. The three expansions (and the extra tile set) have a LOT of gameplay and you can use this stuff if you want to take the stretch goal original Dwarf King's Hold scenarios for a spin using minis and stuff from the main game.

Also, I'd be really surprised to see those expansions for less than the $25 we're paying via Kickstarter. It's possible I'm wrong, of course, but there was so much added to each one through stretch goals that I just can't see them going for less, even from the online discounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
That's about right..although I'll be honest as an existing DKH owner I haven't paid much attention to (2) so I can't vouch for it.

I'm mainly in the first category and am currently unsure as to whether the Black Fortress is really necessary.. It'll have some tiles that are referenced in the base manual but tiles are..well a little meh. When you have 3d miniatures on a 2d tile those 2d tiles don't really add anything essential for me and aren't a huge step up from graph paper.

For that reason I am buying the Battlesystems Fantasy Dungeon to have a good 3d dungeon for my heroes (the necromancer) and villians (pesky adventurers) to battle out in. For that reason I consider the resin upgrade as an "essential luxury"

I guess if I was going to buy extra furniture and doors anyway, then I am really getting the tiles for $5 which is good value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
The nice thing about the black fortress is that it comes with furniture and doors. So that's a $15 and a $5 add on I won't have to buy. And for the extra $5, I get a bunch of new tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
He means pledge $1 now to lock you in to the KS.. then when the dust has settled, after the KS has closed you can up your bid if you wish.

Exactly what I did ... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I am buying the Battlesystems Fantasy Dungeon

I'm in on that too. The one thing I'm not sure about is how to use the BSFD to make SMALL areas to fight in. With the tiles you can easily have cramped corridors and corners but the BSFD seems like it's better suited for large, open rooms (and upper levels) than tiny, winding, cramped corridors. You could do Dwarven Forge / Hirst for those I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
Exactly what I did ... cool

....as a cucumber.

They broke me with the dragon.

mattprice wrote:
The nice thing about the black fortress is that it comes with furniture and doors. So that's a $15 and a $5 add on I won't have to buy. And for the extra $5, I get a bunch of new tiles.

Hmm something tells me I'm not getting my point across succinctly..

simon_j_barnes wrote:
I guess if I was going to buy extra furniture and doors anyway, then I am really getting the tiles for $5 which is good value.

I suspect I may be doubling down on the dragon myself.. $5 dragon (including associated cards and some tiles) vs $5 tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.