David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed playing this simple dice roller with my sons this afternoon. A simple solitaire variant came to mind.

Set up as per normal rules. A turn is played as normal. However if you fail at conquering a castle it is rotated 180 degrees. This means next time you attempt this castle you also need to also fill the Special Daimyo line. If you fail to conquer a rotated castle it is removed from the game.

Once there are no castles left to attack calculate your score as normal.

Thoughts?

Edit:added a second chance at each castle but needing to fill the Special Daimyo battle line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Then you can play again to try and beat your previous score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
Sounds good. Then you can play again to try and beat your previous score

Indeed, until you conquer them all of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited the original post to include a second chance at each castle but youneed to fill the sspecial Daimyo battle line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this similar to what you have described except I put the lost castles to one side instead of rotating them.

If you want to have a second or even third attempt you have to score the special battle line as well as the other battle lines. If you lose again no card is removed you then have to attack a castle in the middle of the table. Once you have attacked a castle and either lost or won you can then go back and attack a previously lost castle.

Game ends the same when all cards have gone.

This means you can attack lost castles more than twice but stops you attacking them every turn.

I like it. Hope someone finds this useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I tried it playing the original way suggested however when you fail the second time and the card is removed from the game I treat the card as being conquered by a rival warlord and in the solo variant it can't be stolen. You win if you have more points than your rival instead of adding your score and just trying to beat it each game. Both ways are fun it's just another solo variant I came up with to kind of retain the flavor and theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I tried it playing the original way suggested however when you fail the second time and the card is removed from the game I treat the card as being conquered by a rival warlord and in the solo variant it can't be stolen. You win if you have more points than your rival instead of adding your score and just trying to beat it each game. Both ways are fun it's just another solo variant I came up with to kind of retain the flavor and theme of the game.

thumbsup

I think they are a good way to try it out before explaining to others, not that it's a complicated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
I tried the solo variant as proposed by the OP. I managed some of the most amazing rolls I have ever had in my life. Took all but three cards and scored 26. I doubt I can ever beat that! I just ruined this variant for myself with my own lucky play!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:
I tried the solo variant as proposed by the OP. I managed some of the most amazing rolls I have ever had in my life. Took all but three cards and scored 26. I doubt I can ever beat that! I just ruined this variant for myself with my own lucky play!!!

Great scoring, but there is still perfection to aim for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: should not be combined with the "Yahtzee" variant.

This should be obvious but I didn't realize it. I tried this variant as proposed, but combined with the yahtzee variant where, if you roll everything needed to conquer a castle at once and on your first attempt roll, you can conquer a castle right away.

Not a good idea...

I "yahtzeed" 11 of the 14 total castles. Of the 3 that I did not, only one was turned 180º(Matsumoto), and I managed to get it back in the second chance.

Total score 38 but of course I disregarded it. The yahtzee variant is made to speed up the game but it turns out that every turn something probably will be captured, and since you have no opponent to even things out, this broke the variant.

I'll now try without it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I forgot about the daimyo line when recapturing in both attempts
My lack of attention is disturbing. I will retry soon.

But anyway a question emerged:
If you initially failed to capture all cards in a set (i.e. every card of a specific set is turned 180º), do they lock and keep you from retrying?

Anyway, congrats for the fun variant and thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorigor wrote:
EDIT: I forgot about the daimyo line when recapturing in both attempts
My lack of attention is disturbing. I will retry soon.

But anyway a question emerged:
If you initially failed to capture all cards in a set (i.e. every card of a specific set is turned 180º), do they lock and keep you from retrying?

Anyway, congrats for the fun variant and thanks for sharing!

You get 2 attempts at each castle. So if all cards rotated you still have a chance for the set but you need to conquer the daimyo line in all of them! If you fail to conquer a rotated castle it is removed from the game & therefore the set is then not possible but you may still attempt the others for their individual points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.