Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I hope this isn't out of line at all or anything, but I've started putting together a basic FAQ.

Online version
Downloadable document (note: might not be updated as frequently)

It's mainly questions that people have already asked here, so where the designers have answered directly, I've linked to those sources. Otherwise, the links might be to answers endorsed by the designers or people involved in the game's playtesting.

Hopefully it'll help people with the odd query, if the BGG forum search fails them and maybe as a reference for the designers if they wish to address or clarify things in future.

It is very rough at the moment, and I'll probably start to split up the 'GENERAL' section into more specific things (Action Cards, Villain, BLOCK abilities) once more Q&As are collected as well as work on numbering them

Otherwise, yeah, keep asking away and I'll make sure to keep combing the forums and updating this as I go (will probably attend to the online version more frequently). Any feedback you have is more than welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EGGS-ellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Thank you. Here's one answer I found helpful, assuming I got this right:

BLOCK
When discarding actions during Villain Phase to stop damage, if you discard a BLOCK card like Costume, you immediately trigger its ability (letting you pull back another action) BEFORE continuing on to deal damage. I had assumed you first have to protect yourself from damage with full discarding, then trigger effects in the order of your choosing. But the rules under Villain Phase damage section specifically talk about BLOCK working in the way I’ve just described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
EGGS-ellent!

Hehe. Please tell me there's an A and B card in the works with something like 'Hard-boiled' and 'Egg' (with associated puns).

"I am Judge, Jury and Eggs-ecutioner."

David Gardner wrote:
Agreed. Thank you. Here's one answer I found helpful, assuming I got this right:

BLOCK
When discarding actions during Villain Phase to stop damage, if you discard a BLOCK card like Costume, you immediately trigger its ability (letting you pull back another action) BEFORE continuing on to deal damage. I had assumed you first have to protect yourself from damage with full discarding, then trigger effects in the order of your choosing. But the rules under Villain Phase damage section specifically talk about BLOCK working in the way I’ve just described.

Ah, I assume you mean a clarifying question along the lines of:

'What is the order of resolution for BLOCK abilities while defending DMG?'

Yeah, that sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you are dealt damage (not just in the Villain Phase), you must discard actions to defend this damage. You discard them one at a time. If an action you discard has the BLOCK keyword, you get to immediately use the ability listed under the BLOCK keyword before continuing to defend damage.

For example, let's assume you are dealt 10 DMG, but you only have Costume in your hand. You may discard the Costume to defend 7 of the DMG and use the BLOCK ability to retrieve Strike, then you would be able to discard Strike to defend the remaining 3 DMG.

Another example, you are dealt 15 DMG. You have full hand. You may discard Maneuver to defend 4 of the DMG. You may then discard Costume to defend 7 more. You can use the Costume to retrieve your Maneuver. You now have 15-7-4=4DMG to defend. You may then discard the Maneuver you just retrieved to finish defending that DMG.

A third example: Assume you only have Retaliate in your hand.(Retaliate has the BLOCK ability: Deal 4 DMG to a character within RNG 1 that just dealt you DMG.) You are being attacked by 1 underling for a total of 1 DMG. You may Retaliate to KO the underling since he is dealing you DMG. However, he is still dealing you DMG, since Retaliate is your last card in hand. You will be KO'ed.

A fourth example: Assume the same situation as the third example, except you achieve a headline for KO'ing that underling. IE, it earns you a 10th fame and "Made it to 10 fame" is a headline you have yet to accomplish. Once you achieve that headline you get to use one of your hero bonus abilities. You may choose the one that allows you to retrieve an action. You still have to defend the 1 DMG being dealt to you, so you could discard the action you have just retrieved.

The final situation does not come up often, but it is good to know when it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would like to see confirmed is that the players' discard piles are public information and may be sorted through by anyone. This is important to know for game mechanics, either way; if this is allowed, then players need actively to know this so they can know what's in their opponents' hands; if it's not allowed, players need to be "on watch" to more carefully follow which cards are played vs. not.

I am virtually certain this is not covered in the full rulebook. Hence, FAQ fodder. --David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One clarification that is important is that the contents of the discard pile cannot be rearranged. you can retrieve cards from it with some effects and some effects care about the card or cards on top, so the order has to be left intact so those effects work correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Chris thought discard piles being public knowledge was mentioned in the rules, so if it isn't, I guess it can assumed to be true.

I'll add in what I have.

Cheers for the heads-up, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands and discard piles are public info. I'll check the rulebook to see if I mentioned it. I think you are right, that I left it out.

Also, you are not allowed to rearrange your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having searched all 23 references (or was it 32? -- did this yesterday) to "discard" in the PDF rules, I can confidently say in the version I was looking at, at least, that it's not there.

Thank you for the ruling! --David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do block abilities trigger if you can not prevent enough damage? For example, if I am going to take 10 damage, but I only have "Deflect" in my hand, can I play it and hit the villain for one damage before being KOed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Yes.

Thanks for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wright
United Kingdom
Modbury
Devon
flag msg tools
www.devondice.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can you clarify what is an active card,
1. is it all the cards in your discard pile,
2.the one on top/last on the player played
3.or the last one the player played in the that turn.

because we played against Genius villain A card and his is "Deal 3 DMG to each hero. Deal +1 DMG to each hero without an active POW action." so if the a hero has a POW card in their discard pile they don't take the +1 DMG. thats how we played.

also the same with hero B card Furious "After a you play an ATK action during the hero Phase, deal 1 DMG to a hero with the same active action as you." this we played it was the top card/last card of the other hero discard pile. maybe i contradict myself a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Active means top card in your spent actions pile (as in discard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is incredibly useful!

It might be worth adding this one to the FAQ (see comments); it isn't a real issue now, but will be when TSOL comes out:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2381715/heroes-wanted-stuff-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel confident this is in the rules, but, yes, it is def a more uncommon phrase in our game verbiage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.