Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Calvary vs Indians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: western [+] [View All]
Rob Sherwood
msg tools
Is there any good Cavalry vs Indian games out there. What I am looking for is something akin to Memoir 44, or Commands and Colors, only from the era of the Indian Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of any along the lines of Memoir '44 or Command & Colors.

There have been a number of wargames on those conflicts. Of those still in print, there's Navajo Wars.

Older games include Custer's Luck and Geronimo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line has an expansion called Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm in the same boat. I just want hordes of Indians to get rid of with meager Cavalry forces with all the gusto of an episode of Wagon Train or Bonanza. What i don't want is some "lets shed tears for Indians in a game because they never harmed anybody style of nonsense"

I also want a map of southwest US outlined with forts with scenarios for Indian or Mexican attacks post civil war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What I am looking for is something akin to Memoir 44, or Commands and Colors, only from the era of the Indian Wars.

Attempted it. Reasonably entertaining sessions, but a rotten simulation of historical events. Tribal warfare does not lend itself to Left--Center--Right sector boundaries in a Native American command structure which, as a matter of fact, has no structure.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cavalry vs Indians
matthean wrote:
Hold the Line has an expansion called Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set.

This expansion is quite good.

Actually, the Hold the Line system is ideal for creating Indian war scenarios. In my opinion, it takes the best tactical elements of the C&C series and combines it with an extremely flexible dice-based command mechanic. The variable action points and elimination of the sectional map give more freedom and flexibility than it's card-based counterpart.

I think this system lends itself especially well to Indian war scenarios, where the player may re-create the swift, sudden, and unexpected tactics that often gave Native Americans an edge in clashes with traditionally-trained armies. (Not unlike the tactics the American militia used to their advantage against the British during the Revolutionary War.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a series called Indian Wars of the American West. I doubt this is as simple as the C&C games, but they're worth looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Battle Cry, but it doesn't feature any Indians, it's set in the American Civil War era and M44 uses the same game system. If you dare to create your own scenarios (and get your Indian minis from another game or a toy shop), this is probably the game to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.