Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this running at the Greater Than Games booth on floor 6 on both Friday and Saturday. Christopher was running quite deep demos - I sat for about an hour watching him play with two gentlemen and we had a variety of discussions about the tactics and the way the game works.

I had never heard of this game before and now I'm fascinated by it - it reminded me a little bit of Chaos In The Old World because each spirit has its own distinct set of thematic rules and unique powers, because of the non-player factions that move about on the board on their own, and because of the theme of supernatural powers inflicting havoc on mundane folks on the board. It really looked exciting, varied, and deep.

As an example, I saw that Christopher was playing a mist spirit. He has lots of chances to place diseases on the board, which hindered the invaders from building. He also had the ability to protect the natives from disease (otherwise it affects them as well). The game sometimes gives you quick signals about what's coming - you might know that at the end of the round, the invaders are going to build in a certain type of terrain, so you might coordinate your actions to try to kill or push invaders out of that terrain before the end of the turn. One of the other players at the table was a lightning spirit - I wasn't sitting next to him so I didn't have a great picture of what his power did, but one of the powers he used a lot allowed the other players to use their "slow" powers during the "fast" phase of the game, which basically meant they could act before the invaders acted and tried to break up combos or bad situations.

The game is complex and a lot of things are moving, and it's kind of like Sentinels in that there's a lot of table interaction like "can anybody kill this city here?" "I can do one damage to it, can anybody do another?" "If you can push some islanders there, I can do four damage.."

If you're in Seattle and you're interested, definitely head up to the sixth floor and check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.