Subject: Finally a victory, and I want more! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally had a success!
This was my fourth attempt at the Iraq Surge setup as suggested in the rules, the first two were mainly learning games, the second two were catastrophes! I've never been able to get the 2 on the first day followed by two more on the second requirement.
This time, however, it all seemed to come together, some favorable events, and some ah-ha moments during the arming phase and the resolution phase.

This game took place almost a month since my last attempt, due to the high humidity and heat we were having, I'm reluctant to leave any of my games setup on the table for any amount of time. The break allowed me to come back at it with a slightly fresh view, and I had found a few rules that I had been previously missing.

all in all, day one saw 2 battalions down, day 2 saw the same, while on day 3 I through all of my units at one large force. not one unit shot down, and no pilots lost.
13 vp all together I think for a good result, or was that satisfactory?

The stress surrounding pop-ups is awesome. I dread sending a unit to high altitude, and I tend to throw as much munitions at a hex as possible, using the cannon only when necessary.
GBUs are a must for the high threat units like SAMs and AA or command.

I really love this game and \I'm looking forward to my next game, which is most likely going to have to wait until after my wedding. Damn wedding!
Any suggestions on which scenario combo to play next? other than retrying the same one again, which I'm going to do anyway.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
High five!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! When I bet the introductory scenario (after 3 attempts) the next I played was Libya 1984 Show of Force. The advantage with old campaigns is they don't introduce complexity like Linked or a large stable of aircraft so are a good way to move on from the intro.

You will start to learn tricks like better starting placement, when to risk going High, how to optimise your armament, aircraft and pilots for attacking a given battalion etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first campaign (Iran, Rapid deployment) and was thrilled to rate one point higher than "Dismal"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the North Korea one. That tile with the U-shape of ridges will come to haunt your nightmares!!

I think I did Cut-Off, but I don't remember.

Second, if you're not doing it, try the random draw of aircraft.

I also roll randomly to see which pilots I get, and I modified something the Lonesome Gamer was using for determining starting skill level for pilots.

I roll a die for pilot skill level using a table like...

1. Total goober (or Rookie or whatever it is!)
2-3
4-5. (Insert appropriate skill levels.)
6-7
8-9
10. Ace

Then I use the skill improvement/downgrades in the rules.

Since I've started using this, I don't think I've won a campaign, though I've fallen love with the AC-130! That thing can shred a unit by itself, and it makes a wonderful magnet for AA fire when it's included on missions with other aircraft.

Congrats on your win! Good luck in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:

I also roll randomly to see which pilots I get, and I modified something the Lonesome Gamer was using for determining starting skill level for pilots.

I roll a die for pilot skill level using a table like...

1. Total goober (or Rookie or whatever it is!)
2-3
4-5. (Insert appropriate skill levels.)
6-7
8-9
10. Ace

This gives you an advantage (on average) over the stock rules because your rolls are skewed towards better than average pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Finally getting around to setting up my next game, Iraq-show of force. going to give it a try and see how it goes. But while setting it up, I noticed an error that I made in my last game, an extra pilot for each type, so for 2 ah-64's, I should have had 3 pilots, but I had 4. same with the warthogs. that made a difference, maybe too big of one, So I think I'm going to have to go back and try it again.
oh well.
Anyway, I'll give this scenario a go and then see what happens.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than stress outs, it shouldn't make too big a difference, at least I've never been in much of a position where I needed another pilot. The single reserve is usually enough to get me through the day, and should I need another replacement on the next day, the first rested pilot can usually hop back in. Worse to worse, pay an SO for R&R.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Post back and let us know how this new mission went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.