Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If you play this game 50 or 100 times, will you be able to beat it far more often than after 10 plays? To me, this would suggest a higher skill to luck ratio than some reviewers suggest. On the other hand, if your win rate improves from 20% at 10 plays to 30% at 100 plays, that might not be enough to suggest that skill can often conquer bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt many people have played a hundred games of it yet, and if they have, they were probably demoing it for various groups and the success probably had a lot to do with the different groups.

I will say that players will see dramatic improvement over the first several games, though, and as I alluded to in my view (as far as I know, the only written review available here on BGG), I had extremely high expectations, was initially somewhat disappointed, but have been seeing my faith in the game fully restored with each new play, as I discover additional ways to win and mitigate certain risks and the critical importance of certain supporting (and even voluntary passing) actions when I would have just faced a new card in my early plays.

There is a great puzzle -- emergent magic -- in figuring out some of the more clever and crucial plays that maximize talents, options, and Kiai effects at key moments in the game.

And my success rate at lower player counts is now extremely good, which suggests skill and strategy are huge parts of the game.

I have not played as many times with full (seven) player count, but in my view the trajectory from 10 to 100 games is sort of an arbitrary point to pull from: some players will start to asymptotically approach perfect play faster or slower than that. In my view, the better question is the one I asked in another thread: can players get to a point (however long that takes them) where they are capable of getting high scores that are highly consistent?

I can do that (high scores that are highly consistent) now in two player games, so I am satisfied of the strategy and tactical brilliance of the game already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.