16 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Squad building the dark side rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Lauzon
Canada
flag msg tools
Alright, so I've involved with this game for about a month, just placed 2nd at my LGS tourney, and have been going over all ships and cards on the x wing wiki.

Is there any point in running a tie advanced, tie interceptor, tie bomber, and even tie defender seems to be on the fence for me (having never played or seen one played)

Those 3-4 ships, to me at least, cost too much for what you get out of them. I have to be missing the point... Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced sucks.

Interceptors are okay but probably bad as the focus of your list if you expect lots of turrets.

Bombers are amazing if you know what you're facing. Problem is that cluster missiles are bad against some lists. And assault missiles are bad against others. And once you start putting two missiles on each bomber to cover all the bases they start getting to be a little expensive.

Defenders haven't gotten a ton of love yet but I'm pretty sure they're a lot like firesprays which are competitive. And overshadowed by phantoms arriving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lauzon
Canada
flag msg tools
Defenders I like, especially the look, but the bounty hunter costs 33, while the delta squadron pilot costs 30.

The fire spray has 1 more shield and 3 more hull and pilot skill of 3 to the defenders 1... For - difference of a 3 point buy? Something seems off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender has more defense dice, so will take less hits. Has a smaller base so will take more actions or move more freely. Has the white K-turn, but that's a lot like the rear arc on the firespray.

If you're doing something other than mounting HLCs, they're not quite as comparable, but I love HLCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A Bomber with Flechette Torpedoes and Ion Pulse Missiles is a pretty safe bet.

Interceptors are fun. Soontir Fel + Push the Limit (and maybe Stealth Device) is fantastic.

The TIE Advanced is okay for casual play. Vader is a lot of fun. But right now the Advanced is too costly for competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interceptors are fragile, but their dial along with Boost and BR make them insanely hard to catch (importantly, unless you have a turret). They really need PTL to shine as it gives them the ability to Boost and BR, or Focus and Evade (to better defend turret fire), or any combo in the same turn. Add TC to a PTL squint and you have a "super gun." They can also clear stress better than anyone but an A-Wing.

Haven't tried one, but Bomber swarms are a thing. Also, Jonus with Scimitars can put a hurtin' on.

Try a TIE/D with HLC and Engine?

TIE/x1 is waiting for cards to make it competitive.

/2cents
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to develop a new found appreciation for the Interceptor - particularly in the hands of Soontir Fel

===========================
The Empire's Finest 100 Pts
===========================

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3), Targeting Computer (2)

Howlrunner (21)
TIE Fighter (18), Stealth Device (3)

Mauler Mithel (19)
TIE Fighter (17), Wingman (2)

Royal Guard Pilot (25)
TIE Interceptor (22), Push the Limit (3)

I can't take credit for the above but it is awesome;

Fel pushes the limit for 2 actions - take either boost/barrel roll/target lock - make second an evade.
PTL gives him stress so he gets a focus.

You potentially now have a TL, focus, evade.

Combat round starts and if you kept Mithel at range 1, Wingman takes away the stress.

You have a stealth so you are rolling 4 green dice and have an evade token. Very hard to hit if you used barrel roll and or boost to get out of enemy arc

But I agree - they take some flying - like ties with only 3 "life points" they can go down in one round with some bad rolls.

Trick is to not get rammed or collide - you cannot afford to lose your action or you are dead.

Try this for a bit more durability and perhaps a "ram"

====================
The Emperor's Finest
====================

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3), Targeting Computer (2)

Mauler Mithel (21)
TIE Fighter (17), Wingman (2), Targeting Computer (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)

Omicron Group Pilot (30)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten good results from a Firespray and two Delta Squadron Defenders with Ion Cannons. The white K-turn is super useful, and isn't much like the rear arc at all, since the Firespray will have to take a stress to turn around quickly the next round, or keep on going the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm - the Firespray can fire the HLC out of it's rear arc?

I read somewhere here someone saying it couldn't which went against my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
No the firespray can not fire its secondary out of its rear arc. It can only fire the secondary through the front arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lauzon
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input, especially on the interceptor. My original thoughts was that it was too weak defensively to be able to add any real input. But I guess that's where this game shines, it's all about the upgrades and how you fly them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some food for thought regarding flying TIE/In:
http://teamcovenant.com/theorist/2014/03/07/how-to-fly-the-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
theepum7 wrote:
Thanks for the input, especially on the interceptor. My original thoughts was that it was too weak defensively to be able to add any real input. But I guess that's where this game shines, it's all about the upgrades and how you fly them.

My last tournament I ran:

Whisper- ACD, Vet Instincts
Soontir- PtL, Stealth Device
Turr- Vet Instincts, Stealth Device

I only had one game where I lost more than one ship. High pilot skill interceptors can be very effective (and deadly- one game was over in about 20 mins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theepum7 wrote:

the point with interceptors is putting PTL or something similar on them so between boosting and barrel rolling it should be hard for them to get a bead on you. They are great against normal 3 or 4 ship rebel builds though they do suffer against the current easy button falcon builds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hey Andrew I like your build, but I personally think a 3 ship mobile imperial build that target locks are pretty important. What do you think about this small change that makes it better offensively but slightly worse defensively.

Whisper + Fire-Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device

Soontir Fel + Push The Limit + Targeting Computer

Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts + Stealth Device

You only drop the 1 extra defensive die on Soontir for the best 2 offensive ships you have getting target locks. Whisper will get a free TL after every attack and Soontir would have the ability to either evade, barrel roll, or boost into a PTL target lock that would give a free focus.

Of course this also puts you at 100 points instead of 99 so you might lose initiative which would be pretty important against some lists. Just thought I would suggest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:
Hey Andrew I like your build, but I personally think a 3 ship mobile imperial build that target locks are pretty important. What do you think about this small change that makes it better offensively but slightly worse defensively.

Whisper + Fire-Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device

Soontir Fel + Push The Limit + Targeting Computer

Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts + Stealth Device

You only drop the 1 extra defensive die on Soontir for the best 2 offensive ships you have getting target locks. Whisper will get a free TL after every attack and Soontir would have the ability to either evade, barrel roll, or boost into a PTL target lock that would give a free focus.

Of course this also puts you at 100 points instead of 99 so you might lose initiative which would be pretty important against some lists. Just thought I would suggest it.

I'd say- try it and see how it does
FCS is definitely a good option on Whisper. I like having the extra defence die on Soontir because once you lose a ship it can get pretty difficult, but it's a toss up (this list relies on avoiding fire arcs for defence as much as the dice in any case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.