Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm interested in getting this game, but it seems like there are deals everywhere (kickstarter, gencon, etc.) but buying it from the GEG website. If I didn't go to GenCon or Kickstart this game, is there a more economical way to get it than just pre-ordering from the GEG website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically the game hasn't been officially "released" yet, as even Backers are still waiting for their copies (Est. delivery: October).

GenCon had a special that included a free T-shirt, but otherwise the price there was about the same as what the Backers paid (from the sources I've talked to that attended GenCon anyway). The GEG website is still at this time the best (and only) way to order a copy of the game.

I suppose you could wait to see if anyone is going to sell their copy on ebay, but I doubt you'll see it for cheaper than what they paid, and you'd end up waiting until after the rest of us have already had it and have been playing it for some time.

Given what I know (after having spoken to the designer and his immediate family and representatives in person) about the costs of production and the process of manufacture, after it having been carefully and painstakingly explained to me*, I highly doubt that you'll see this game retail for less than $160-$170. Truth is, I don't know how GEG is going to make a profit on this game, even if it DOES retail at that price.

As someone who happily jumped in at the highest possible pledge level for this game, for every expansion, piece, part, T-Shirt, etc., and then having been able to see and handle the figures in person, I feel that I paid a fair price for the pieces that I'll be getting.

The figures (I cannot in any good conscience call them "minis" when some of them are almost 7 inches tall) are numerous, sturdy, HIGHLY detailed, fully 28mm scale, and are pretty much the only good minis on the market right now for Mythos creatures. I came for the minis, I stayed for the gameplay. I was not disappointed, and I think that you won't be either, ordering a copy from GEG's website.

Cheers.

*: I am getting into this business myself, and will be using the same manufacturer that they contracted, and so they gave me the heads-up on what to expect from this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you compared the resin and plastic minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I was unable to make in to Gen-Con this year, and have yet to see the plastic versions. I'm waiting to get my copy just like everyone else. I'd be happy to put up my thoughts in a full comparison in a review after I've had the chance to do so, however.

However, after dealing with similar plastics to the ones used to make this game, and being a rather avid painter of my boardgame miniatures, and having a somewhat technical understanding of how plastic looks, feels, holds detail, and resists stress; combined with the detailed photos that have been put up of the actual plastic figs, I'm not at all worried about the level of detail/quality of the plastic ones from a painter's perspective (insofar as achieving a level of detail that would only be necessary from a table-top perspective)

The resin ones were pretty cool, but although they were massively heavy, they were surprisingly brittle. For actual gaming purposes, I'd much rather have the plastic. If it came down to entering painting contests, displaying them in relic cases, winning awards, or taking super close-up, ridiculously-high-resolution pictures, I might hesitate slightly in having the plastic version.

However, given that even just the cultists are like $6 a piece, and that Cthulhu will be closer to $60-$70 in resin, I'll take my $160 dollar plastic bundle of 64 figs and be perfectly content, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackchance is right, but I will comment on one thing - we did play with the resin figures for over a year, so they are playable. (They did break a lot, so we always kept superglue in our box, however )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the pleasure of comparing the plastic and resin models at Gencon and I have to say they didn't lose very much detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply, but it looks like some backers requested refunds, so contact GEG and ask if you can take over anyone's pledge. No idea if they can, but good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Late reply, but it looks like some backers requested refunds, so contact GEG and ask if you can take over anyone's pledge. No idea if they can, but good luck!

I would definitely want one of these KS pledges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nunez
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Wow people really want to back out at this point?!?! shake They should have their brains removed and placed in a Mi-go brain canister and then then the canisters should be sent to Yuggoth! zombieThats just so CRA CRA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't condone or agree with that decision, but CW is an expensive game (especially at the DVM level), and it's entirely possible that people need that money for other priorities at this point. $500+ can buy a lot of groceries, a car repair, etc.

Or it can buy true Cthulhu goodness. I know which I choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.