Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I played mission 6 from the Lambda Shuttle expansion tonight and we came across a problem I couldn't find a ruling on.

During the game the imperial player must rescue 5 passengers from wrecks. The rescue action states:

"Imperial players may perform a RESCUE action when within range 1 of a disabled ship. To perform a rescue action the imperial player takes as many passengers as he likes and assigns them to the ship performing the action. Then for each passenger rescued he takes damage equal to the speed of his maneuver. Rescue cannot be taken as a free action"

As the mission comes with the shuttle we figured that its the perfect ship for the job with it's full stop move. But then I realised it gained a stress token which meant it couldnt take an action.

So the question is, is the "rescue action" an "action"? If it is this mission seems very difficult for the imperial player, given that the rebels also get infinite reinforcements. Rescuing Passengers with a basic tie (or any tie but the bomber or the advance) just makes you super easy to kill. However even Slave 1 and the Shuttle would have to take significant damage to rescue 5 hostages, making them targets for every rebel on the table.

Anyone know of an official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an action, as in your "Perform Action" step.

I've played this mission once as the Rebels and it seemed quite easy for the Imperials, but there are always a lot of variables with missions (or maybe I'm just not good at them). The Imperial player didn't use the Shuttle -- she used Interceptors and a Bounty Hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry foul !

not much room in an Interceptor pod for a passenger!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's thematically lame that the shuttle can't use its unique halt-maneuver in a mission that strongly implies its use. But David is right, there's nothing unclear here.

The Imperium won this one in our game too. Shuttle, Bounty Hunter and TIE Fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Sensors FTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R5Don4 wrote:
Advanced Sensors FTW

Nope. Advanced Sensors grants a free action, and the Rescue action cannot be be taken as a free action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does it say that Rescue cannot be a free action.

I think I'm missing that on the mission page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Where does it say that Rescue cannot be a free action.

I think I'm missing that on the mission page.

Unlikely. Last sentence in the Rescue Action. Chris even quoted it in the first post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suspect that this is another example of poor thinking-out-the-consequences on FFGs part, which they do do - I imagine the "no free actions" rule was intended to prevent a ship from using extra actions to rescue too many pax at once. Or they forgot that the Red Stop meant no action, or something like that, because the scenario, at first blush, really seems intended to let the Shuttle stop and save people.

But I agree with all the interpretations here being correct for how it's actually written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Vagabond Elf - Unlikely because you could rescue as many passengers as you like for 1 action. It would seem that it's actually to stop the use of Advanced Sensors, so nerfing the Shuttles own stop ability and upgrade cards.

Incidentally I'm thinking the new Decimator might just make this scenario all too easy!

I'll have to run the scenario again and try out some of the suggestion in this thread.

Thanks again

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does the damage go through shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
does the damage go through shields?

Oh, nobody answered you yet. The answer is no. They go to the shields as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're talking about this mission, what do you guys think about Predator vs Disabled Ships?

The mission doesn't assign Disabled Ships any pilot skills, so are they treated as having "less than 2" skill, giving 2 re-rolls for Predator? Or only 1 re-roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when a stat does not exist, it cannot be higher or lower than something, so no special modifiers can apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I think when a stat does not exist, it cannot be higher or lower than something, so no special modifiers can apply.

Yep. Because my opponent asked this, I sent the question to FFG and they immediately responded with the same answer. Only 1 reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bowler
United Kingdom
Stockport
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont the rules prohibit attacking the disabled ships anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke BGG wrote:
Dont the rules prohibit attacking the disabled ships anyway?

In this mission the Rebels can somehow capture passengers by shooting at the disabled ships.

Anyone have a good thematic explanation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top tip. Do Not google image search Undeniable assests while at work to get a copy of the mission sheet! Seems to also be a design of lingerie!

Or maybe do. Entirely up to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.