Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone done this to increase Fog of War?

I'm trying to do a Vassal game and looking for players.
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/178302/vassalcyberboardsky...

My ideas....

My plan was to play the game using two vassal games.
The Allied player and the Ref.
And the Axis player and the Ref.

So to make units hidden and without changing the vassal mod, the Ref will replace each player's enemy unit hexes with blank enemy counters. Maybe use clones of the artillery ammo x1 and x10 markers to somehow reflect the strength of all the units in the hex or to show unit types in that hex.

And how to handle combat? Should the exact values/combat odds be given to each of the players? Or leave it a rough estimate and just have the Ref compute, roll, and give the results?

Thanks for help and/or input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'm thinking so far...

1)The exact enemy units will be hidden from the players at all times.

2)All enemy occupied hexes(not adjacent to a friendly unit) will be replaced with ONE blank/generic enemy marker for EACH type of unit(see #3).

3)For Enemy markers, the Ref will use clones of the Artillery Ammo markers. The x10 marker will be used for armor/yellow exploit valued units. The x1 marker will be used for all other units.

4)When a friendly unit becomes adjacent to an enemy marker,(in the next player's turn) additional enemy markers will be added to that hex to reflect the actual number of enemy units in that hex.

5)When resolving combat, combat values will not be given to the players. Players will just declare attacks and the ref will then give the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the updated FOW/Ref rules (that we are currently testing out)...

1)All enemy occupied hexes(not adjacent to a friendly unit) will be replaced with ONE blank/generic enemy marker for EACH type of unit(see #2).

2)For Enemy markers, the Ref will use clones of the Artillery Ammo markers. The x10 marker will be used for armor/yellow exploit valued units. The x1 marker will be used for all other units.

3)When a friendly unit becomes adjacent to an enemy marker,(in the next player's turn) additional enemy markers will be added to that hex to reflect the actual number of enemy units in that hex. Also, the top enemy unit in the stack will be revealed to the player.

4)When resolving combat, combat values will not be given to the players. Players will just declare attacks and the ref will then give the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:
Here are the updated FOW/Ref rules (that we are currently testing out)...

1)All enemy occupied hexes(not adjacent to a friendly unit) will be replaced with ONE blank/generic enemy marker for EACH type of unit(see #2).

I was involved in a multiplayer game of Battles for the Ardennes and I want to think that an enemy unit at two hex range was shown as a mech or infantry unit and 3 hexes or more where not shown. This did create a planning issue in that the active players had to give some sort of orders in case they contacted the enemy. The orders could be, but not limited to, Attack, bypass, stop, etc.

GenChaos wrote:
2)For Enemy markers, the Ref will use clones of the Artillery Ammo markers. The x10 marker will be used for armor/yellow exploit valued units. The x1 marker will be used for all other units.

3)When a friendly unit becomes adjacent to an enemy marker,(in the next player's turn) additional enemy markers will be added to that hex to reflect the actual number of enemy units in that hex. Also, the top enemy unit in the stack will be revealed to the player.

I do not remember how multiple units were handled at the 2 hex range. It could have been mechanized if there were any Tank, Mech or Artillery units in the stack.

GenChaos wrote:
4)When resolving combat, combat values will not be given to the players. Players will just declare attacks and the ref will then give the results.

Combat was performed in accordance to the orders sent by the active players.

We had three German players. I was overall commander and also ran 7th Army. The Allies had a problem keeping players in the game and we ended up losing the ref and the game fell through be we were doing good in the North and probably would have won the game.

Skip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.