United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy and I got together today to play even more Warhammer 40,000: Conquest at the FFG Event Center in Roseville, MN.

We'd already tried out all the faction decks and finally decided today to create our own decks. We each only own one set of the game so we couldn't go whole hog or anything but at least we could combine some factions to get up to the 50 cards.

I went with Imperial Guard Astra Militarum & Orks (strange bedfellows indeed, I might add, one can only imagine the strategy sessions: COL. STRAKEN: "So Nazdreg, you bring your units to the southeast corner and execute a flanking attack, okay!" NAZDREG: "I SMASH THOZE HUMIES GOOD!" COL. STRAKEN: "Um....yeah. Okay then.") I had chosen Col. Straken and his signature squad over Nazdreg, I might add, for my Warlord.

Anyway, my opponent, Alex, went with something similar in Orks & Chaos (No, I can't even begin to imagine that strategy session and won't bother trying).

I don't recall every play, sadly, but I was pretty worried since Chaos has some brutal cards and tough bruisers that can be a real bear to handle if your opponent gets too many in play. He went with Chaos as the Warlord & Signature squad. Right from the start, though, I was able to build up fairly well, keeping a decent balance between my results in the Command Struggle Phase and the Combat Phase. What really aided me in this match was the use of Ratling Deadeye mixed with the boost from Catachan Outpost.

Using the boost from the Catachan Support card, I was able to clean house before most Normal combat occurred. I also had the Cadian Mortar Squad which has a 1 ATK and Range. Together those cards did a lot to keep me winning battles. Eventually I nabbed the 5th planet card to win the game via Symbols.

----

Our second match we used the same decks and everything. BUT this time, I got off to a very inauspicious, and dare I say embarrassing start, as I completely overlooked that he had Initiative and sent my Warlord to his first planet, where the tough Col. Straken was immediately pummeled by some Chaos demon, I forget which one (sorry) and bloodied straight away.

My friend, Alex, graciously offered me the opportunity to concede (or "scoop" as all the kids call it these days) and I have to admit, I very nearly gave in to that option. BUT a small (yet feisty) part of me wanted to see if I could pull off the comeback from extreme odds, having not see a big comeback in this game to date. So I soldiered on (pun fully intended).

I focused heavily on widespread success in the Command Struggle Phase and kept my Warlord Straken, away from any combat for the next few planets (fortunately, I was able to do so). In my favor, I might add, was the layout of the planets which wouldn't see anyone really win until the 5th planet, like our previous match. This time Alex got some more bruisers out and I didn't get as many Support cards out right away NOR did I have many Ranged units. So it was much trickier. However, from what I do recall, my easy MVP of the entire match was:

Who allowed me to constantly control battles, even when I didn't have initiative and that unit combined with some heavy hitting Ork units allowed me to cause a lot of mayhem. The fun part about using Capt. Markis, was when I'd sacrifice this unit for Capt. Markis's power:

Because it was immediately replaced with a Guardsmen Token which meant the sacrifice only cost me a single ATK point value, overall. Around the 5th planet, Capt. Markis also added to a cool combo which helped me in the final battle. I had deployed the Enginseer Augur (see below) to the same planet with Capt. Markis and then used Capt. Markis to sacrifice that Enginseer Augur which allowed me to gamble and fish for that Rockrete Bunker (see pic below) which I could see I was going to need to keep Straken alive.

Eventually, it came down to the 6th planet, where both our Warlords ended up facing each other for the final showdown (I think we both just assumed we wouldn't meet up until the 7th and final planet). He made a huge push to kill my Bloodied Straken who also only had 3 Hit Points left as he had gotten 2 damage in the past couple of Rounds and was hanging by a thread. I'd managed in the previous turn to bloody his Zarathur so it was going to be a down-to-the-wire finish and sure enough, I was saved from a 2 or 4 hit attack (I just can't remember what it stemmed from - Zarathur or a spell, maybe) by using the only Shield-bearing card I had along with the power of the Rockrete Bunker which I'd fished for earlier:

That kept Straken clinging to life and my Infantry Conscripts (This unit gets +2 ATK for each Support you control), now up to a mighty 12 ATK (from having 6 Support cards) raced in to fire barrage after barrage of weaponry at the evil Zarathur. I waited with bated breath, wondering if he had any shields or tricks up his sleeve only to sigh with relief as he conceded!

Two of the more enjoyable matches I've ever had in any card game, I might add. Tense affairs with interesting decision-trees and tricky situations to manipulate, aided immensely by some fun card abilities and manipulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well written report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I wish I'd kept better track of the specific events but we were so engrossed in the games themselves that it never occurred to us to do so. D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gobeil
msg tools
It looks like all the image links are dead. I just read it but it sure makes it harder to have to reference cardgamedb to know what you are talking about.

Good job though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch, John. Let me try to fix that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.