Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It was 50 years ago today.
mbmbmbmbmb
So at this point I have finished one 'teaching' playthrough, followed by the usual re-reading of the rules, and I am now halfway through a play of the 20 Nov scenario.

I am finding that more than 50% of my attacks on Japanese positions are CC (i.e. not Attack). The odds of victory just seem better, at least in the early turns. Is this what others are finding, or am I doing something wrong? I guess to some extent it seems historical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sundborg
United States
Carthage
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
The first day is chacterized with the majority of my action as CC. If available, I try to barrage and disrupt the intended CC hex.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It was 50 years ago today.
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader wrote:
Yep
The first day is chacterized with the majority of my action as CC. If available, I try to barrage and disrupt the intended CC hex.

Mike

OK... good to know.

Your reply also answered the question in my other post - so it IS allowable to barrage a hex and then CC it in the same phase. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k1nu wrote:
dvader wrote:
Yep

Mike

OK... good to know.

Your reply also answered the question in my other post - so it IS allowable to barrage a hex and then CC it in the same phase. Thanks!

Except when they are unrevealed inland positions. You can't barrage an unrevealed inland position.

I found that CC's are the way you have to go if you expect to keep the initiative. Until the HQ's have landed and the assault groups have formed, you really don't much other choice. And, it looks like about half the positions are CC anyway. That's not much of problem if you've got a hero.

The real ones I have problems with are the FL's. You kind have to kill or disrupt everyone around them to get at them. Those usually wind up getting CC'ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to Omaha Beach, I'm not finding Tarawa as tense because the majority of the fights so far have been Close Combats (where previously important weapons requirements are ignored).

Attacks will reveal hidden Japanese units (but not their depth markers initially) without risk of a step loss, but having to meet those pesky weapons requirements can make it futile and the end result may just increase the enemy strength by granting them a depth marker.

Close Combat risks steps, results in automatic Disruption for survivors, and can trigger some nasty Japanese CC events (e.g., Reinforce and Tactical Reinforcements), so that's something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.