Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an uncertainty I have on special search tokens, that I would like to get verified.

Up front: we have only played the introduction and I have been reading the 5 Act 1 quests in preperation for our campaign and to figure out which quests to pick. This question came up specifically when reading the 'Cardinal's Plight' quest, but it might very well apply to other quests too, which I haven't read.

So for the question: in both encounters of the quest 'Cardinal's Plight' the heroes have to find the special search token to trigger a game effect (being able to enter a certain room). When found, is the token placed on te hero's sheet and is he able to lose it, like objective tokens (by dropping it or being defeated, rulebook page 15)? Would that undo the effect of finding it (unlocked room is once again sealed off)? Or is the game effect of finding the special search token permanent and is it discarded after it is found (rules on searching apply, rulebook page 10)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no overarching rules for how to treat the unique search token; the relevant rules will always be found in the quest guide for whichever quest you are playing.

In the case of The Cardinal's Plight Encounter 1, the quest guide only says "When the heroes discover the Relic of Dawn, immediately remove the mystic portal."

Since there are no additional rules referring to the Relic of Dawn (unique search token) or the mystic portal, then that is all that ever happens. When the unique search token is found, you remove the locked door. There is no "holding" the unique search token, nor is there replacing the locked door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Darren!

Does the same go for finding the Rune Key in the second encounter (once found it permanently unlocks the door to the Library so that the heroes can keep using it as a normal door)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I can't think of any examples off hand where the unique search token is placed on a hero sheet and carried around, but it would certainly be possible within the ruleset. It would specify this in the quest guide if that were the case though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very clear! Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.