5 Posts

Stalingrad Pocket (first edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Germans just lost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leon Hwang
msg tools
My advice to future Germans, to preserve the pride of the Wehrmacht:
I was surprised how much this game played like a castle seige.

Don't let them steal your supplies
Be careful about your air bases. You will need the supply units later on. The Russians broke through a single place in the line, and were able to get to my bases. Split them apart and guard them.

Guard all castle gates
Defend the Don (Chir is secondary). It is worth it to retreat guys quickly to man the bridges. You basically have 2 strong lines of defense, at the bridges over the Don. Bridges give you 4x defense and they can't "surround" you, which is a standard strategy in these SCS games. Make sure you have someone at every bridge point, especially over the back part of the V, before the Russians can seize a bridge.
As you get more Alert units to guard the bridges, regular units can be moved back to the front lines.

If a castle gate goes down, push to get it back.
Basically the Russians can only move at the speed of the HQ's moving on roads, 4 spaces/turn. The Russian tanks will rush out, attack something, then move back into supply range. But be careful about the double move, ie, move/exploitation move, giving them tremendous range. They will become unsupplied for many turns while the HQ's catch up, but worth it to seize the bridges. If this happens, attack the unsupplied Russian units with everything to get the bridge back. Form a tank brigade to attack when a bridge falls.

Sortie out to destroy their supply trains.
If their HQ's are poorly protected, attack. Destroy 2 HQ's, and it is probably unwinnable for Russians.
If you can sneak a tank or 2 behind the lines, to get to the 2 "D" supply points, you will unsupply the entire southern pincer.

If the castle gates fall and you're out of supply, you are in serious poo.
There are no terrain features near Stalingrad.
When the pocket was almost closed, get your tanks out, so at least they would stay in supply and attack the ring from the outside. This is do-able, because when the ring first forms, it will be with a few out of supply units. Don't assume that this hole will be permanent. As long as the Russians have units, it will be worth it for them to sacrifice someone to put you out of supply.
Try to form an infantry pocket before running out of supply. If you don't form a pocket, the Germans can hit the flank, get behind lines, and carve up an entire line in a turn or 2. When out of supply, your infantry will basically be 1/2 strength, and cut down to 1MP (b/c of the leaving ZOC penalty) and it will be very hard to form the pocket. Obviously this is when to use the supply units. Don't be stingy with the supply units. Keep them on the roads to affect as many units as possible. Once completely out of supply, the end is coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Somebody call Hitler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the 1st edition better.
Great game! Thanks for your tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wen-bin Huang
msg tools
thanks for your tips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attilio Tribuzi
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know I'm responding 5 years later, but your maxims hold true. I just pulled this out after buying it on Ebay for a song many moons ago, and I am really enjoying it.

Your theory is holding true...Germans did not think a Russian tank group could make it to Kalach, but due to the overrun rule, the road got cleared of the Romanian road-rash and three Russian tank units got there in the exploitation phase. They were in supply for the following German turn, and the Wehrmacht could not mount a decent attack, yet could bottle the Russians up...which only led to more Russians building up the bridgehead next turn and even though they would lose supply status the next turn, more supplied T-34's would waltz in and keep pushing until the HQ finally rolled up.

That's when the deep poo really began...turn six. Germans couldn't keep the Soviet bridgehead contained (like real life, yay wargames simulating history!) and the Russians swept in to form the pocket from Kalach to the lower Volga. Sure, they will lose supply status, but by the time the Germans react more T-34s will just keep coming.

Had the Germans posted even one decent unit in Kalach (as per your "castle defense" theory), it would have kept the Russians out, and altered the entire game, but alas they did not...they thought they had another turn before they had to hunker down.

That'll learn 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.