Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 10 different actions in Impulse, and 108 Action Cards.

Which is your FAVORITE?

Poll
What is your favorite ACTION in Impulse? (listed alphabetically)
Build
Command
Draw
Execute
Mine
Plan
Refine
Research
Sabotage
Trade
      63 answers
Poll created by Phuntom

Have a good story about using a particular action? Share it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game, if I COULD have refined yellow, I would have been able to get 18 points for one card. My enemy defended that space tenaciously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer is "it depends"; there are all sorts of cleverness that can occur by using the right cards in the right way at the right time. Judging by the way some of my regular opponents play, "Command" is a pretty popular option. But my vote goes to Mine - it's not flashy, it's not pretentious, but it does give you a nice boost to other actions later in the game. On the other hand, I rarely win, so it's probably not that good a card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
The current ratio of Sabotage to Research could probably tell us a lot about humanity's predicament
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One good research can make a huge difference in the game, since you get to use your tech every turn.

Now researching a sabotage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
One good research can make a huge difference in the game, since you get to use your tech every turn.

Blow up a man's cruiser, you're safe for the rest of the turn. Research the means to blow up all of a man's cruisers, you're safe for the rest f the game

Though I find Sabotage is often too situational to be worth researching, unless you're both desperate and really under the cosh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:

Researching a sabotage is powerfull .What is strong (and fun ) in Sabotage is that it's difficult for other ship to approach you. As soon as a ship is closed to you => Sabotage! Don't need to spend cards (reinforcement in battle ), no risk to be defeated. It's very confortable. With a Sabotage in tech, you can win quietly occupying de the core with sereval cruisers.

What's why i said "Sabotage". Now, the other action i prefer is "Draw", because Card advantage is very strong for me in this game (choice, battle, trade ...).

For the difference between "favorite" and "win", i would say they don't have the same role :
- sabotage is strong to control the game and progress of opponent's ship
- trade is what earn PV and so win the game
and yes sabotage is more fun than trade cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this again today - I really wish I had said Draw... cards are everything in this game - a boosted Draw card is magical. It gives you options for the impulse, it gives you cards to trade and to mine, and gives you weapons for war.

Plus - it's a good deterrent - no one wants to attack someone with a full hand of 10 cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mangiameli
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Phuntom wrote:
Phuntom wrote:
There are 10 different actions in Impulse, and 108 Action Cards.

Which is your FAVORITE?

Poll
What is your favorite ACTION in Impulse? (listed alphabetically)
Build
Command
Draw
Execute
Mine
Plan
Refine
Research
Sabotage
Trade
      63 answers
Poll created by Phuntom

Have a good story about using a particular action? Share it!

Interesting, that the card everyone is WINNING with (Trade), is one of the LEAST FAVORITE cards amongst voters:

And Sabotage, the favorite card, is contributing the least to wins, apparently.

Is it just the "take that!" nature of Sabotage that makes it such a favorite? Or is it the mechanic itself?

Makes sense to me about fun vs. win. Take Dominion for an example. Buying and top-decking a Grand Market is more fun than buying a Province since it boosts your infrastructure and gives you options. But, buying a Province directly counts towards your score, while the GM only helps your infrastructure and hopefully lets you score later.

Likewise, in Innovation, splaying your blue cards up or tucking four cards is a lot more fun than using an action to Achieve. But, Achieving is how you win.

In many Deckbuilders or other games with 'VP-only' cards/actions, the trick is knowing when to switch from 'fun' (infrastructure) to 'winning' (points and more points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.