Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been brainstorming for the last few months on an idea. It will be a sci-fi game that combines merchant and war gaming. The game play will be simultaneous based off of your ships speed and a corresponding movement chart. At the start of the game you will own only a cargo freighter, that is crewed by a captain, one special crewmen, and the rest of the crew that won't really pertain the the game play (overly much). On your turn you can move, dock at a planet, buy/sell cargo exchange hostages for credits, scan merchant ships for pirate attacks, buy technology to improve your existing ships or expand your armada. Game play will be variable dependent upon player desires. The idea is simple collect the most net worth, merchandise, ships, and cold hard credits. Every special crew member will be unique as will every captain, every planet, and every ship in the game. Start up will be completely random as to your starting ship, your captain, and your crew as will the non playable ships that are plying the trade lanes, to create a unique game play every time. Some crew, captains, and planets are very lawful and will not break the law for any reason while some are marauders and take pleasure at thumbing the law.

My goal is to combine a sci-fi war gaming and buy/sell games together.

So far I have created:
Set Up
Character Alignments
Character Types
3 Charts (Crew Morale, Mutiny, and movement charts)
Ship Cards
Ship Types

I still have to create
132 Unique Ships
Supply and Demand Cards
Ship Tokens
400 Unique Crew Cards (may cut that back a bit first time I added them up)
Combat Rules
Create Currency

Players
Original content count is for 1-9 players but I might cut that in half to 1-4 which will cut the crew cards in half to approximately 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. Also very ambitious. Do you have an estimated play time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
as of right now I have a turn limit but not an estimated game length, I broke it up so that 1 turn = 1 week, with a short game being a 6 month game (27 turns) an average game being a year (52 turns) and a long game at 2 years (104 turns)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
with the help of my 2 year old I have the board mounted, now just to draw on the planets and the trade routes for the merchant ships to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
as of right now I have a turn limit but not an estimated game length, I broke it up so that 1 turn = 1 week, with a short game being a 6 month game (27 turns) an average game being a year (52 turns) and a long game at 2 years (104 turns)

How long is it reasonable to assume each turn would take a player? At 4 players, assuming 1 min each/turn, you're looking at about 2 hours for the 'short' game and 8 hours for the 'long'.

Will turn lengths get longer as the game progresses and the board state becomes more complicated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Miaowara_Tomokato wrote:
blaird wrote:

How long is it reasonable to assume each turn would take a player? At 4 players, assuming 1 min each/turn, you're looking at about 2 hours for the 'short' game and 8 hours for the 'long'.

Will turn lengths get longer as the game progresses and the board state becomes more complicated?

As the game gets longer people will be able to purchase more ships which will mean that they are taking multiple turns within a turn, thus creating longer turns in the later rounds of the game. I'd estimate the short game being around a 90 minute game, which averages out to right around 2 minutes per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

I have the ship to ship combat system worked out, which will leave the boarding parties, and ship damage to work out for the combat.

So in Recap Done:
Board Mounted
Ship Card Templates Created
Movement Created
Roles Created
Crew Alignment Created
Movement Charts Created
Mutiny Charts Created
Morale Charts Created
Ship to Ship Combat charts created

To Do:
Create/Place Planets
Create Character Cards
Create Ship Stats
Create Prototype Chits
Create Galactic Stock Market Cards
Boarding Party Combat System
Damage Charts
Play Test

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the stock market rules.

Still to do, gotta create the crew cards, ship cards, and goods cards. Then onto beta testing.

Things needed for initial prototype:
Goods Markers (looking for some wooden cubes color coded in 4 colors)
Print out Charts
Design Ship Counters (going with the war gamer chits)
Design and Print out cards (crew, goods, and ship)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.