Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another chat with Lolcese about wether Matador was a version of Monopoly or not.

The two games are both based on The Land Lords Game - and Matador (1936) might even be based on Monopoly but there are some minor differences in both design and game play:
Design - The game board are differently shaped (Square in Monopoly and Circle in Matador) - but this is irrelevant as Lolcese said.
Game play - In Monopoly you have two decks of cards (Community Chest and... Chance?) but in Matador you only have one deck - this on the other hand made Lolcese agree that the games might need a divorce.

Matador was published under this name in Denmark (primary), Iceland and Norway - if not more. Same countries also have their own Monopolo versions of both older version and newer versions (such as Monopoly: Here and Now, where the only difference is "modernized" prices and so).

I see those two games as different games - but I do not know if you agree with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
I'd say they're different, but even if they're not there's the "Monopoly fiat" so they should still go in different entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
I'd say they're different, but even if they're not there's the "Monopoly fiat" so they should still go in different entries.
I agree, and it seems like Lolcese did too, but it might just be a few who thinks so...?
Did Matador reach Sweden before Brio bought Drechsler in 1973?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
I agree, and it seems like Lolcese did too, but it might just be a few who thinks so...?
Any admin reviews on this?

A bit of background story;
After Monopoly was sent on the marked in 1933, the founder of Drechsler designed "Matador" very close to Monopoly, but some things were changed, including the design and the two different cards were exchanged with a more mixed one-desk.
Around 1968 (based on the box and logo designs), Monopoly still uses credits from 1-500, where Matador is touched by the inflation in Europe and raises the credit value to the range of 50-5,000. At the same time, the tokens change from pre-WWII Volvo PV-series to the newly made Volvo 420-series - which now also gets on the board corners both in uniform (police car) and civilian. Earlier editions used different cars drawn on the board, but player tokens have always been the same; since 1948 it have been made of plastic (earlier made of tin (First Edition) and wood (Second Edition)).
Matador is always changing on the board, as it uses companies instead of train stations (ferry lines in Matador) and power plants (breweries).

Today Matador and Monopoly is still having an arms race in the Danish shops, despite the many new comings of Monopoly, Matador is still the best seller. Matador also have their own spawns after Swedish Brio bought Drechsler in the 1970s, and continued the production under the a new label Joker, but also been published under Scantoy (also Brio) and Brio themself.
Matador and Monopoly are found in the same shops - as different games, different publishers - and different customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.