Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up, and am reading through the various rules. It's clear that there's a lot of legacy information for this game, though a surprisingly quiet entry on BGG.

I've read through some suggestions on two player, and such, and the general consensus seems to be that this game is not good for two player experience. Setting up some mock solo plays, I can find this to be true. It seems to be much more engaging with three or four.

SO... is there any two player value in this? Is there an alternate game in the L5R universe that would be better for me to play as a two player game.

And, have there been additional cards released for this since the box came out? It infers more clans in the manual, but didn't see if there were additional packs that were compatible with this game (or perhaps, any additional ones are?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

SO... is there any two player value in this? Is there an alternate game in the L5R universe that would be better for me to play as a two player game.

The L5R card game itself would be a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Effectively what you have is a multi-player variant for the Legends of the 5 Rings collectable card game. They provided pre-made decks and multi-player rules in a neat little package. (The game already allows multi-player, but this is a variant with the specific track, and the pre-made decks works as a way to encourage new people to try it out too.)

There IS an expansion to War of Honor, but not in the form of additional cards. However, the game is comparable with any and (almost?) all of the cards from the CCG, and you're encouraged to mix, match, and even bring in completely custom decks. The "Which Clan Are You" site appears to be down, but http://www.l5r.com/the-clans/ will take you to a list of the current major clans. Pick one that feels right for you, and check your local gaming store for the Ivory Edition starter tin for that clan. It gives you some base cards, the CCG rules, and some extra booster packs, all of which you can use either to bring your own deck to the table, or to customize the cards already in War of Honor.

That being said, AEG did just release a new multiplayer variant called "Siege: Heart of Darkness" that, like War of Honor, comes with some pre-made decks and has yet another approach at multiplayer. I don't believe it's intended as an expansion or extension of War of Honor, but it's similar in intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
Effectively what you have is a multi-player variant for the Legends of the 5 Rings collectable card game. They provided pre-made decks and multi-player rules in a neat little package. (The game already allows multi-player, but this is a variant with the specific track, and the pre-made decks works as a way to encourage new people to try it out too.)

There IS an expansion to War of Honor, but not in the form of additional cards. However, the game is comparable with any and (almost?) all of the cards from the CCG, and you're encouraged to mix, match, and even bring in completely custom decks. The "Which Clan Are You" site appears to be down, but http://www.l5r.com/the-clans/ will take you to a list of the current major clans. Pick one that feels right for you, and check your local gaming store for the Ivory Edition starter tin for that clan. It gives you some base cards, the CCG rules, and some extra booster packs, all of which you can use either to bring your own deck to the table, or to customize the cards already in War of Honor.

That being said, AEG did just release a new multiplayer variant called "Siege: Heart of Darkness" that, like War of Honor, comes with some pre-made decks and has yet another approach at multiplayer. I don't believe it's intended as an expansion or extension of War of Honor, but it's similar in intention.

Thanks, everyone (Duncan and Victor) for the explanation. It helps clarify the situation for me. I checked out the site above. This game has a lot of depth I didn't realize, I'm impressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.