Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make sure, I know that when you're placing pieces and you have none available, you can take them from somewhere else on the map. But what about when you replace pieces? Say an event allows me to replace 5 Police with Guerillas and I have none available, am I allowed to take them from elsewhere on the map?

1.4.1 is not entirely clear as the first bullet says "Unless otherwise instructed" and then the important second bullet "otherwise instructs" right away (As far as placing is concerned anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

You can remove them from elsewhere on the map. The only pieces that cannot be removed from the map (per 1.4) during an Op, SA, or Event are US Troops (can only be removed from map during Commitment Phase of Coup Round) but US Irregulars can be removed from map for placement elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric G wrote:
Marco,

You can remove them from elsewhere on the map. The only pieces that cannot be removed from the map (per 1.4) during an Op, SA, or Event are US Troops (can only be removed from map during Commitment Phase of Coup Round) but US Irregulars can be removed from map for placement elsewhere.

(Like US troops, US bases also cannot be removed this way.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not so sure of this answer. Looking at the 5.0 extract below :

[...]
Events place only available pieces (1.4.1) and markers unless
specifying from out of play or Casualties; they remove rather than
replace if the replacement is not Available
or if stacking (1.4.2)
would be violated.
[...]

Couldn't be understood that replaced pieces are removed from the map if replacement pieces are not Available ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1.4.1 effectively allows you to remove some of your (or for the US, the ARVN's) pieces "to Available" without going through the full motion of actually moving the pieces there. (In the previous COIN games this removal is explicit instead, which makes the rules interactions a lot clearer.)

Events, which is what 5.0 talks about, sometimes allow you to replace something with another Faction's pieces. Unless that other Faction is the ARVN and you're the US, 1.4.1 is of no help in this situation.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
1.4.1 effectively allows you to remove some of your (or for the US, the ARVN's) pieces "to Available"[...]

Thank you for this confirmation.

That sounds really unusual to me. Into classic boardgames, when an effect tells you to replace A by B, if B is no longer available, A stays on the board.

So it is an important point to keep in mind while playing FitL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, M. That rule keeps the Event viable even when replacement pieces are unavailable: you don't get as much for playing the Event, but you get something.

Note that Infiltrate vs VC is different, by the way: NVA can't use it to just vaporize VC; they have to actually make the blue unit red (4.4.1 Procedure 2 nd bullet)

Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
You're right, M. That rule keeps the Event viable even when replacement pieces are unavailable: you don't get as much for playing the Event, but you get something.

Note that Infiltrate vs VC is different, by the way: NVA can't up use it to vaporize VC, they have to actually make the blue unit red (4.4.1 Procedure 2 nd bullet)

Best, Volko

Thank you, Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.