Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, after doing some investigating, here's what I've come up with, and I believe all of my calculations to be as accurate as possible.

As I'll explain below, I think a group purchase of 5 units (myself and 4 other people) would be the optimum savings for us.

First off, I used Google to do all of the Euros to USD conversions. The Quined Games website seems to only allow PayPal payment for shipping these Spiel pre-order items, which is fine, but it's always been my experience that the actual EU to USD conversions on PayPal always wound up being a little bit more than Google's estimates. In addition, Quined Games is adding a small PayPal fee, in addition to the shipping cost.

If you were going to purchase just 1 of the Carson City: Gold & Guns expansions yourself, the cost would be €16.00, plus €20.00 shipping and €1.50 PayPal fee, for a total of €37.50. That converts to $49.24, or probably closer to $50.00 on PayPal.

The shipping cost jumps from €20 for 1 or 2 units, up to €37.50 for 3, 4, or 5 units. At 5 units, with that shipping cost and the PayPal fee, the price per item would drop down to $34.18 each. Starting with 6 units, the shipping cost jumps up even further, to €61.50, and therefore, the cost per unit goes back up to an unattractive rate. All that being said, I'm thinking that I'd like to find 4 other buyers (in the Midwest ideally) to join in with this group buy.

Next, for the secondary shipping. Estimating the box size of the expansion, and the shipping box size necessary to hold it, and comparing different carriers and rates, I estimated a UPS Ground shipping cost of about $12 per shipment. I would be shipping out 4 units (since I would already have mine of course), so that works out to $12 x 4 = $48 for secondary shipping. Since I'm part of the group buy, I want to absorb part of that secondary shipping cost, so taking that $48 and dividing by 5 equals $9.60. $34.18 + $9.60 = $43.78, which I would like to round up to an even $44, to keep things easier, and again, to account for a probable difference in the cost when PayPal actually does that currency conversion.

So, in conclusion, a group buy would save us approximately $6 each ($44 vs. $50). That doesn't sound too bad to me.

If anyone wants to join with this group buy, here's what I propose: I'll take the first 4 requests to make a buying commitment via a PM. I'm not sure what quantity they are reprinting, but I don't want to miss out, so I'd like to have 4 buyers in one week's time (sometime on Monday, Sept. 8). If I don't get 4 others by then, I may extend the deadline to join the group, or explore other options at that time. Throughout the entire process, I will keep in constant communication with anyone in the group. When we have 5 total buyers and I am ready to make the purchase, I'll ask for the $44 (via PayPal) from the buyers. (I would suggest having funds in your PayPal account, that way neither of us gets charged any fees if the money transfer is from PayPal account to PayPal account.) As soon as I receive the shipment from Quined Games, I would immediately ship the 4 other units to the group buyers. I am fortunate to work from home, so I could do this right away, without have to wait for a day off, a weekend, etc. Again, I'll keep everyone up to date on what's going on, and if anything unforeseen happens that would necessitate my returning the money to the buyers, I will do that immediately as well.

Well, I think I covered all the bases. I've never done this kind of group buy before, but I really want to get this expansion while it's available! If anyone has any comments, suggestions, etc., please let me know.

Remember, I'd like to take "reservations" to join the group via a PM, and not in this thread.

Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Shadrix
United States
Colbert
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Midwest US group buy information
I am interested, but I live in Georgia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For $12 shipping he should be able to ship anywhere in the USA. Flat rate is only $12.35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
For $12 shipping he should be able to ship anywhere in the USA. Flat rate is only $12.35.

11.30, even!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a few adjustments to my group buy proposal. First, I'm going to adjust the total price down $1, from $44 to $43. I realize it probably doesn't sound like much, but I really feel that I've done all of my calculations correctly. (To recap, that price accounts for purchasing 5 units from Quined Games, shipping from the Netherlands, and then me re-shipping the 4 group copies to the buyers from IL, via UPS Ground, which is my preferred way to ship. I've had too many bad encounters with USPS in my area.) Please remember, that I am absorbing 1/5th of the secondary shipping costs, in order to keep everything as equal as possible, so even though the shipping might cost around $12, each buyer is really only paying $8.60 (down from $9.60). In addition, I am taking on the task of getting shipping boxes and packing materials (hopefully I can reuse what is packed with the Quined delivery), printing labels, and taking them to the UPS drop off. Lastly, my estimates are based on Google currency conversions. When I make the final purchase through PayPal, their conversion is sure to be a little different. If it turns out to cost more, I'll absorb that additional cost. If it turns out to cost less, I'll only request the actual amount from each buyer (if the buyer has already paid, I'll refund the difference).

Next, I'm expanding the group buy to include all of the continental US (it turns out there's only a negligible difference in shipping whether I'm shipping to MN or CA, for example).

Everything else is the same as before: I'm still looking for 4 others to join in for a 5 unit total purchase. I have one "maybe" so far. I'd still like to place an order by next week, so I want to have everything confirmed by Mon. Sept. 7.

Thanks for putting up with my first attempt at a group buy!

(Can you tell I really want this expansion???)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haupert
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Continental US group buy information (deadline Sept. 7, 2014)
I will buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know, I have put together a small group to join in with a group purchase, and the order has been placed, so the request for more participants is now closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did I miss this?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saloonstudios wrote:
How did I miss this?!

ME TOO SO SAD! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
saloonstudios wrote:
How did I miss this?!

ME TOO SO SAD! cry

I just ordered one from the Quined web site. It came out to $45.49 including shipping to California. They're only taking pre-orders until Oct 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.