Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime between midday Aug 31 and the morning of Sep 1, Agricola was passed by Terra Mystica. Combine that with the rise of Caverna, and it makes me wonder where Agricola will be 6 months from now in the ranking.

For my own tastes, it's still the #1 game. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my tastes, I'd rather play "Kick Me in the Johnson" than play Terra Mystica again. Also - Caverna is ok, but it can't hold Agricola's jockstrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
For my own tastes, it's still the #1 game. =)

And that really is the most important thing. I'd say the same if you liked Monopoly best of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bgg rankings have very limited meaning to me anymore but that's largely due the huge increase in recent years of war gamers, ameritrashers, etc flooding the ratings. Not that that's bad or anything it's just that the rankings and corresponding raters used to be made predominantly of gamers with similar tastes to mine.

I look at the rankings very rarely these days and I now find it humourous that such and such game is number 1 or not number 1 or whatever, but of course in the early days this was something I paid attention to. Get a good selection of geek buddies and use the analyze function or read all if the ratings if you have the time to get a sense of where the game ranks. As for myself, of course Agricola will be the number 1 overall game until (if) it gets unseated by something better.

There's no accounting for other peoples tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 4-5 plays of Agricola, I was tired of it. After many more than that of TM, I can't get enough of it. Hated the cards and luck of them in Agricola. Do I think it's a bad game? No. A really good game. But TM is great. I much prefer Civ type games and deeper strategy Euros to war games. Agricola just doesn't have the depth of strategy to satisfy me. But every man will have his own tastes. I'm glad to see TM appreciated so highly by so many. The best Euro game I've ever played. Actually, the best all-around game I've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
For my tastes, I'd rather play "Kick Me in the Johnson" than play Terra Mystica again.

I'll play!

But, yes, generally the same opinion as everyone above. The ratings are too skewed by cult-of-the-new (Russian Railroads? Really?) to have much meaning for me any more.

Last Friday, we played 3 games that aren't even in the Top 1000, and had an excellent evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hated the cards and luck of them in Agricola...
Agricola just doesn't have the depth of strategy to satisfy me.

Sounds like you may have never tried drafting Agricola. Out of hundreds of games I don't think there were more than 5 where I felt like I lost due to "luck" of somebody having a card I either didn't see in the draft or wasn't prepared for and ruined my plans.
I'll agree that there is pretty much no luck in TM beyond starting player order and your faction (depending on how you pick them), but less luck does not always equal more strategy in my opinion.

I tried to write a nice response to the other quote, but they all ended up being mean and I don't want to be mean .
So I will simply say: I strongly disagree that TM has more strategy than Agricola.
I think that after 5 or so games with a faction in TM (or just reading threads online), that faction's optimum strategy (or 2) is practically "solved" whereas in Agricola, the cards you have and are playing against will never be the same. But hey, that's just my opinion. To each his or her own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a far superior game to TM. It plays faster, has more replayability and is much more thematic.

TM is a stay in your swimming lane and try to swim flawlessly to the end. The only fun part is choosing which swimming lane to go in. Your faction determines what your strength is and that makes your strategy obvious. ie stay in your swimming lane. I personally don't get the love for TM. It frankly baffles me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodr wrote:
Agricola is a far superior game to TM. It plays faster, has more replayability and is much more thematic.

I'm an Agricola fan, so I'm easily agreeable to your opinion - but your judgment does not allow for the idea that some people prefer slower more meaningful play (per turn), find variability in player choices, and find the trappings of theme meaningless in any case.

As for me, I like fast, variable, and theme - just pointing out that those qualities are not as valuable to different gamers. THey are, however, why I expect Agricola will be my #1 for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
Thormodr wrote:

I'm an Agricola fan, so I'm easily agreeable to your opinion - but your judgment does not allow for the idea that some people prefer slower more meaningful play (per turn), find variability in player choices, and find the trappings of theme meaningless in any case.

As for me, I like fast, variable, and theme - just pointing out that those qualities are not as valuable to different gamers. THey are, however, why I expect Agricola will be my #1 for a very long time.

Certainly tastes vary. My post was meant to just be my opinion, which is neither right nor wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodr wrote:
Certainly tastes vary. My post was meant to just be my opinion, which is neither right nor wrong.

But it certainly reflects your exquisite taste in games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
Thormodr wrote:

But it certainly reflects your exquisite taste in games!

Lol. Thanks. Agricola is a gem. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A year later, it has now dropped to 6th... When will it ever stop?! cry

For sure the best game ever created!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.