Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to read the different posts on CC but I'm still not sure I'm on the same page.

Can 1 unit wipe out many units?

lets say 3 units and a leader move into melee with 1 unit. Players opt to do a mass melee. (I'm not sure there are many options except mass at this point.)

Let's say player 1 has 3-1 odds and the defender has 1-2 odds. I think player 1 needed a 7 or under to kill - rolls it and eliminates the single. Simultaneous combat allows Player 2 to roll and needs a 5 or under to kill - rolls it and...eliminates the entire stack?

I think I understand that if you commit all the forces this can happen but seems far fetched. 1 squad takes out 3 in melee?

Could the player 1 do something different to change that outcome without changing the odds?

What should player 1 do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Arkobla Conn wrote:
I've tried to read the different posts on CC but I'm still not sure I'm on the same page.

Can 1 unit wipe out many units?

Yes.

Arkobla Conn wrote:

lets say 3 units and a leader move into melee with 1 unit. Players opt to do a mass melee. (I'm not sure there are many options except mass at this point.)

Let's say player 1 has 3-1 odds and the defender has 1-2 odds. I think player 1 needed a 7 or under to kill - rolls it and eliminates the single. Simultaneous combat allows Player 2 to roll and needs a 5 or under to kill - rolls it and...eliminates the entire stack?

Correct.

Arkobla Conn wrote:

I think I understand that if you commit all the forces this can happen but seems far fetched. 1 squad takes out 3 in melee?

Could the player 1 do something different to change that outcome without changing the odds?

What should player 1 do?

This is all possible, just not so likely. And player 2 is risking an all or nothing effort. He would have better chances of taking out just one squad. It would depend on how desperate he was to inflict casualties.
If this really feels too dangerous for player 1, then don't commit so many squads. Leave others just nearby/adjacent to deal with the heroic enemy in the next turn. Nothing else can be done within the melee, itself.

Edit: Well, if you happen to have the option of some LMGs, adding a couple of those would increase your odds without committing more men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
i totally agree with Dauphin. I always hesitate using strong units in CC because it is so violent, my weaker opponent may be KIA but so may my stronger 838s. My worst experience was advancing 3x467 and 9-1 into CC with a lone 8-1, sure enough my opponent rolls '1,1' and takes out the stack.

I'll mention what i misplayed for years - a 467 vs a 666 is not a 1:1 attack (TK5). It falls to 1:2 (TK4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that it helps to understand how this could happen by looking at it from the proper perspective...
Its not man versus man locked in mortal combat hand to hand but more like small groups of soldiers in a large area clearing a building room by room.
one man could conceivably take out a whole platoon if he's skilled and lucky enough.
as for the rules, if I'm right, and I'm sure someone will say I'm NOT, this while issue was addressed in GI...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.