Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My opponent tried to attack an unoccupied town in West Va. My nearest force is 2 hexes away. He is supposed to stop adjacent to the town, right? And then when he wins, he advances into the hex.

Can I play the Richard S. Ewell card and make him stop a hex short (2 hexes away from the town)?

I was wanting to rush a force in and defend the town. It seems weird to play a card that makes you fight a battle when there is no force to fight.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judd,

My recollection of when we playtested the OG rules was that the attacker was moving into the hex it was attacking so I would think your move would be okay.

I hope that makes sense.

I need to finish reading the Wade rules and try and get this game going again.

Cheers,

Nik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ewell Card came up in question of play during the WBC tourney. I think we made a wrong judgement call on its play as an afterthought. I have been under the weather for a while and have not pulled the game out to check into this. It will be something that I will need to clarify. Do you have a picture of the card that you can post here Judd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
The Ewell Card came up in question of play during the WBC tourney. I think we made a wrong judgement call on its play as an afterthought. I have been under the weather for a while and have not pulled the game out to check into this. It will be something that I will need to clarify. Do you have a picture of the card that you can post here Judd?

If I read it right, the combat would be presumed to take place outside of the city (16.1). Is there a "combat" since I have no force? Do I use the defense value of the city (that sounds absurd)? Can I throw CSP and resources into the battle? If I do not or cannot, does that mean he checks for general casualties? Is there ITs? Assuming he wins, he stops short of the city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

My take on the card, Judd, is that you can do it. If the card is played the enemy force stops short of the city. The "battle" takes place in the last hex entered by the attacking force before entering the city. This card is a combat resource card. So it's effect only takes place if played in the resource placement during a battle. Since the town is undefended. It is the only card you can play - no CSP.

Normally, an undefended town MUST use the defense of the city when attacked, however, my reasoning here is that every now and then a somewhat organized militia had its shit together, enough to create an ambush or the defense of a pass, just enough of a defense to delay the enemy. As for a general casualty draw. Yes that would take place as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ewell card has come up for question a few times in the past. John and I have exchanged ideas and, after getting the approval from John, here's how the Ewell card should work and the reasoning behind it:

The Ewell card is for stealing a march, which of course means that they beat the moving guys to the hex they were going to move into and a battle would occur there instead of the originally targeted hex. I had actually made the wrong call about this in a game at WBC and didn't realize it until later on when I thought about it. The player that uses the Ewell card actually has to have a force and must move that force into an adjacent hex (to intercept the enemy) to have a battle. One other related point about not being able to play the card for a vacant city: we had already made the determination that a vacant city would only contain a very small militia force that would not leave the city they were in. We discussed this when determining whether or not a vacant city could use the terrain it was in vs. the city defense (for example a city in a mountain hex). We determined that the city defense could only be used because the forces there would remain in the city for its protection and not leave because they were such a small force. Therefore, the Ewell card can only be played (beneficially) when there is an actual force involved. That is the spirit and meaning behind stealing a march, and that is the way other games that use that feature handle the situation. And, due to the scope of the game and how much time a turn actually represents, a small guerrilla force or any kind of a militia force that a city would contain wouldn't delay an actual army that was moving for any significant length of time. They would basically just be brushed aside or run away when they saw what they were up against. The Ewell card could be very handy if an attacker was behind a river and moving 2 hexes to attack you. You could play the Ewell card and now your opponent is attacking across a river. Of course it could work the same way with a mountain hex or just to keep a certain hex that you are in from being attacked.
Therefore, to recap, you may only play the Ewell card for the effects of its resource event when you have an actual force involved. Also, when played, your force actually moves to the adjacent hex that the attacker is moving into and the battle would take place in that hex. And as an afterthought, you wouldn't be able to use the Ewell card if the attacker began his turn adjacent to your force. He would have already occupied that ground previously so you would not be able to steal a march on him. Of course, like any other resource card, you could play it for no effect to draw another card. As mentioned earlier, John and I exchanged emails on this and we are both in agreement. If there are any other strange scenarios that this might also affect, let me know and we'll reason it out.

Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cameron

Hicksville
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend & I were playing LW last night when this same question arose. We treated it as No Effect for the reasons given above but I came on BGG to see if this had happened to anyone else & found this thread at the top of the list. I wish all my rules questions could be so easily answered!

As an extension of this question, what about the Surprise Attack card, which switches the roles of attacker & defender. Could this be played in a battle involving an unoccupied city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, using the same logic now employed for the Ewell card, I would say the SURPRISE ATTACK card too would be ineffective in defense of an unguarded city. As with the Ewell card you would have to have an organized force in the city to become the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
Scott, using the same logic now employed for the Ewell card, I would say the SURPRISE ATTACK card too would be ineffective in defense of an unguarded city. As with the Ewell card you would have to have an organized force in the city to become the attacker.

^
^
|
|
|
DA MAN be right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cameron

Hicksville
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than once, I'm sure. Thank you, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.