Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per 3rd edition rules (WGA version), the Union makes an amphibious assault on New Orleans by way of running the fortress of Ft. Jackson (as opposed to testing Ft. Pike, which per the example of rule 8.10.9 would get three shots at a Union fleet versus Ft. Jackson's two shots). The assault is successful and the Union lands SP in New Orleans, capturing the key Rebel city/port.

Now, the question is - with both Ft. Pike and Ft. Jackson unmanned but still in Rebel hands, who is in supply and who isn't? The Union team contended that New Orleans was in supply (and eligible to receive additional Union SP as well via Union Sea Movement) because Ft. Jackson's supply line was now cut by the presence of Union forces in New Orleans, meaning that Ft. Jackson could no longer function as a supply block for the Union troops. Per rule 14.4.1,

14.4 Supply Effects on Unmanned Fortifications
14.4.1 Unmanned forts and fortresses control river hexsides and the hexes they occupy for purposes of naval movement and amphibious landing.
However, an unmanned fort/fortress that is out of supply has no effect on the game at all. It is not eliminated; rather, it is simply ignored for the preceding
purposes.

So, is it agreed that by Union troops occupying New Orleans, Ft. Jackson can not trace a two hex line to a RR that leads to friendly supplies (tracing from 1931 to 1932 leads to the RR that then runs into Union-held New Orleans. Tracing to the nearest friendly RR hex leading to friendly supplies would require tracing to 1732, which is three hexes away, one more than allowed per 9.2.2) and is therefore out of supply, and that as a result, the Union can trace supply (and additional SPs) via the sea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
The forts are now OOS. The Union is in supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
The forts are now OOS. The Union is in supply.

This. Once New Orleans falls, the forts basically cease to exist except as artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can run a Rebel SP into an unoccupied Ft. Jackson, it becomes viable once again (though unsupplied). I know that's a longshot. If you are using the optional Confederate Supply by River rule, it is technically possible for an otherwise isolated Ft. Jackson to trace up river, if there aren't Union ships or forts blocking the route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.