Subject: Next games for my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Palmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there
just in the last 6 months have gotten into gaming and am really enjoying it. Have two different gaming groups each week and I am the one that supplies most of the games. at the moment the games we play most are Cosmic encounter , eclipse , Ticket to ride , Arctic scavengers, love letter and sometimes resistance avalon when we get enough players. One group likes mid to heavy weight games and the other likes light to mid weight games. My profile shows what games I have at the moment.
Like most people I have quite a long and ever expanding wish list but a small budget in which to work from so choosing the right games is important. Living in NZ aswell, the prices on games are quite high and also some games are very hard to come by.
At the moment these games are high up on my wish list:

Alien Frontiers
Suburbia
Formula D
K2
Lords of waterdeep
Hive

From what I have already is there any thing which is to similar to warrant purchasing?
And any other Recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Lords of Waterdeep is worth going out of your way for, especially with the expansion. It's on the lighter side, but it's very thematic and fun. Even if someone isn't a fan of the theme, completing quests along with the intrigue cards keeps everyone invested.

Suburbia would be next in line...again, especially if you can get your hands on the expansion. The expansion here isn't as necessary, but it helps balance some things out. I don't want to play this one as much as I did early on, but it's still a solid game that I enjoy every time I pull it out.

Hive, K2, and Formula D especially might be a little light for what you're looking for...and I haven't played Alien Frontiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Formula D all the games you listed have a nice medium weight to them. Here's my thoughts on what I've played...

Suburbia: in my top 3 games of all time, especially with the expansion. Have played it more than probably anything else this year. There's really nothing I would change about the game except add more stuff to keep it even more fresh.

K2: really neat gateway game. I like how the weather, your positioning, and your hand all combine together and influence your decisions. The design is one of my favorites, but the game is a little light and repetitive for me. I'd love to own it, but it lacks "oomph" that something like Suburbia offers.

Hive: a chess like abstract (albeit a bit lighter). I like it, but games do feel a bit samey after awhile. There's more to it than it seems, but that's how most abstracts are. Neat, worth having, but not essential.

Lords of Waterdeep: good worker placement game, but very light. Scores are really high and I feel like the game loses tightness from it. Reminds me of Stone Age a bit which I liked at first and the despised shortly after. I'd personally rather play a heavier worker placement game. I think the theme is pasted on, but the mechanics are good. It's really just the tightness of the game that bothers me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Palmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the replies,
another game I forgot to mention was Castles of Burgundy and shadows over Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the ones you've already mentioned these are worth a look into.

+1 Alien Frontiers (one of our favs)
+1 Castles of Burgundy

Dead of Winter
Defenders of the Realm
Cyclades
Kemet
Stone Age
Eldritch Horror
Lancaster
Power Grid
Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
palmersam wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies,
another game I forgot to mention was Castles of Burgundy and shadows over Camelot.

Both are really good games. I'd still say get Waterdeep first, unless you see yourself playing 2p a lot, then Castles of Burgundy is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep
+1 Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.