Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis W
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a DVD at my public library because the title caught my eye coupled with the fact that I was interested in purchasing this game. They list the 7 wonders as:

The Colossus of Rhodes
The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

These are the same 7 listed at http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/sevenwonders.htm

When I read the rules I noticed that the Temple of Artemis was not in the game, while the last wonder is the Great Wall of China. Keeping in mind that 7 Wonders lists of the Ancient World, New World and Modern World are different, it seems this game was attempting to get the 7 wonders of the ancient world. What source was used to determine the 7 wonders in Clash of Cultures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis W
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction to the earlier post - The Statue of Zeus is not included.

My correlation to the wonders in the game:

The Colossus of Rhodes - Great Statue (the picture of this statue in the rules looks more like Colossus in the video than Zeus)
The Great Pyramid of Giza - Great Pyramids
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon - Great Gardens
The Lighthouse of Alexandria - Great Lighthouse
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus - Great Mausoleum
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - Great Library?

The question remains, what source was used to put the 7 Wonders in the game? Or was it some other idea (like we have two statues, so let's only take one and pick something else)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
djwoz11 wrote:
I picked up a DVD at my public library because the title caught my eye coupled with the fact that I was interested in purchasing this game. They list the 7 wonders as:

The Colossus of Rhodes
The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

These are the same 7 listed at http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/sevenwonders.htm

When I read the rules I noticed that the Temple of Artemis was not in the game, while the last wonder is the Great Wall of China. Keeping in mind that 7 Wonders lists of the Ancient World, New World and Modern World are different, it seems this game was attempting to get the 7 wonders of the ancient world. What source was used to determine the 7 wonders in Clash of Cultures?

My take:

It seems that rather than a specific list being used to create the exact wonders (like say in the game '7 Wonders'), the lists were used more as inspiration. Clash of Cultures, the core game (not the upcoming 'Civilizations' expansion), draws on parallels from history, but is not beholden to them as many of the specifics have been abstracted.

For example, it is altogether reasonable to surmise that "The Great Lighthouse" is the Lighthouse of Alexandria, but your culture in the game may not be that much like the Egyptians. Or you may end up building the "Great Pyramids" wonder, but your people may seem more similar to those on the Mayan peninsula than those that lived in Giza.

Finally, the addition of the "Great Wall" wonder, which I think resembles the great wall of China, and the "Great Library" wonder, which reminds me of the Royal Library of Alexandria, are generally not included on the classical 7 ancient wonder lists.

We'll see what affect the specific leaders and specific cultures that are coming from the expansion will have on the generalized wonders from the original game.

But one thing I'm sure of: it's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you're absolutely correct that the Great Library's inspiration was the Library of Alexandria.

One nuance worth mentioning, Alexandria was a Greco-Egyptian city. The Great Lighthouse and Library were more Greek than ancient Egyptian. Those crazy Greek Pharoahs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that the Wonders chosen were ones that could provide game balance through their thematic effects. What would you prefer: adherence to some arbitrary list, or a balanced game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That list of 7 Wonders was apparently compiled by Philo in 225 BCE.

Most of the Great Wall of China was not constructed until the following few decades. Even if it had been around during the time of Philo's list, it probably would not have made it since the wall is quite a ways to the east and north, and probably not significant at all to the people of the Mediterranean and Middle East.

There is some debate about when the Library of Alexandria was built, although it was certainly around, and certainly in the right region of the world, when Philo's list was made. I guess he just liked the others a little more

Anyway, there are tons of places (natural and manmade) that have been considered "Wonders" of the World. Far more than 7 of them are deserving of the title. But people like to list them in sevens, just because of Philo I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.