Popular Tags: [View All]
José Cepero
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all

I am struggling some time with the idea of deviding up the equipmentdeck into smaller ones that are linked to a specific location. I am playing Zombicide in a campaign system.

Since I play very often in a 3d setting and love the game Dead Rising zombie too, I was trying to give some locations (foodstore, gunshop, sportshop, diner,...) a more item based purpose other than just being there as an extra building on the table. The idea is that survivors could choose, in between main objectives, if they want to loot a specific building for something interesting they might need desperately.
This means that I don't want to remove the chance to find "that item" somewhere else neither, but knowing you could find the concrete saw or Betty in the local "Tools & Hardware"shop is more of a logic conclusion. Why should I go for the police office or gunshop (logical) if we can find anything everywhere? Thats why I would like to put ultrareds and other themed items in those places.

I was thinking till now... to have smaller decks tied to a specific building (type) and a main deck for regular searches, like we call the "common deck".For not removing the surprisefactor, I would add some lesser items and Aaahh! cards...

a few examples:
Tools & Hardware shop: concrete saw, crowbar, chainsaw*, clawhammer*, nails* (*not all of them)
Local Food Market: canned food, water, bag of rice, cookies (again, not all of them since you could find some food in every building)
Sportshop: Baseball bat, Ross' bowling ball, Katana, Wakazachi
Police office: Riot shield, nightstick, shotgun, flashlight

I am really waiting for season 3 because that would add a lot more items to devide up anyway, but now I will have to try with whats available.

Not sure if people out there tried to do this themself and if so, I would be glad to hear opinions, advise of anyone

thanks for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w m
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds a bit like the locations/search odds in Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. Maybe a read through of the rules for that game can provide some insight into setting up your idea for Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of special decks for specific building types. It would be nice to see some scenarios that use this.

You could also create a special spawn deck to use for a spawn point. Such as a spawn deck for a spawning location in a chemical factory with higher percentage of toxic zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:
You could also create a special spawn deck to use for a spawn point. Such as a spawn deck for a spawning location in a chemical factory with higher percentage of toxic zombies.

I've done something like this in one of my scenarios, that I plan to put up on the forums once I've found the time to play test it, but I have different coloured spawns that produce different mixes of zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Just spit-balling here but howzabout when a player searches one of your "special" rooms, before they draw a card they roll a dice. If they score, say, a 4+, then they are able to search through the deck for the first "special item" associated with that room. If they score a 3- then they pick the top card as normal.

You COULD have it that if they 4+, and come across an Ahhh!! card before reaching the "special item" that takes precedence. So if 2 players are trying to be the one who gets, say, the megasupersaw, just cos one gets there first and searches first, doesn't necessarily mean they'll get it first.

OR you could make your own dice that gets roll when searching a special room.

OR using your Police Station example: Riot shield, nightstick, shotgun, flashlight - howzabout taking those 4 cards from the equipment deck, randomly removing 3 which you place face-side-down in the police station zone and the remainder back in the equipment deck. Then when searching the police station, if the player 4+ (using my example above) they get to take one of these "placed" cards (at random).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Ripoll
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hmmmmm my idea would be similar, in that you would roll a die.

However, it would work like this: each room could have a chance of drawing other item types, but drawing one from the specified group would be much higher.

So, you establish what the 4 (or more) equipment groups are, and separate those decks. So for instance:

Group 1: Firearms
Group 2: Food
Group 3: Melee weapons
Group 4: Utility items

Then, when searching a room, it has a type specific drawing chart based on a die roll:

1: draw from Group 1
2-4: draw from Group 2
5: draw from Group 3
6: draw from Group 4

The odds could be balanced to taste on this chart, even doing something like this, where a group is not drawable in a specific type of room:

1-2: draw from Group 1
-: draw from Group 2
3-5: draw from Group 3
6: draw from Group 4

And you could incorporate to this idea other ideas regarding room searches. For instance, a roll of one could mean "empty room", then you cannot search that room again.

If you want, I could help you design printable charts and bases for the decks laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a similar idea I had is to divide the items in sevral decks;

common items (pistols andother low-end items like food, gasoline, bottles, crowbar, hatchet, kukri, possibly pans as well)
uncommon items (items and weapons that are in between low and high-end, for example submachinegun, shotgun, katana, magnum etc.)
rare items (all ultrared, possibly even pimp weapons, high-damage weapons)

the aagh cards should either be removed (see below) or put into the common deck.

when you search, you roll a D8 die for every card you can get;
1-4: you get a common item
5-6: you get an uncommon item
7: you get a rare item
8: a zombie appears (replaces the aagh card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.