Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The four player game doesn't get a lot of love here on BGG. The problem is that since the only roles in play are the sheriff, 2 outlaws, and a renegade, it fairly quickly becomes apparent who is who. By contrast, in a five player game there is a deputy too, and the renegade can disguise his identity for a while by posing as a deputy, thereby keeping things uncertain.

In a different thread on Bang Dice, user kbfan suggested the following variant, which I think deserves some discussion of its own:

Quote:
Maybe you could include a sheriff and 2 outlaws. Then shuffle 1 deputy and 1 renegade and randomly deal 1 into the game (remove the other from the game without looking at it). So you may have a renegade or may have a deputy. Time will tell...

This way only the player who gets the deputy or renegade card knows what roles are in the game. To the other three players it will be unclear what role that player is. Might that achieve some of the suspense that people enjoy about the 5+ player game?

Of course, when a deputy is in play, not a renegade, the outlaws have a hard job, since it's two vs two and the sheriff has more life points. Maybe that imbalance is a fatal flaw of this proposal, but I'd be curious what others think of the idea.

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
Playing games
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
...Of course, when a deputy is in play, not a renegade, the outlaws have a hard job, since it's two vs two and the sheriff has more life points. Maybe that imbalance is a fatal flaw of this proposal, ...

I think this would indeed be a fatal flaw. The renegade has it hard but not much harder than the sheriff. I think you could swap in a renegade for a deputy at higher player counts but doing it the the other way will always make it too hard for the Outlaws. Although some would argue that the outlaws have the easiest goal, swinging it the other way tips the balance too far. Any standoff between the sheriff and renegades is always a battle of last one standing with the renegades trying to kill each other first but also keep the sheriff alive - but week enough to kill. Swap just one of those for a deputy and the sheriff's team should win easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.