Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

So Long Sucker» Forums » Rules

Subject: Most recently played chip rule / Is refusing player selection possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sorry if this is long winded. This game sounds awesome but there's one bit I don't get, which is now the next player is selected.

If no chips are captured, the player selects the next person to move, so long as that person's starting chip color is not in the stack just played on (this may be the same person, if that person used a captured chip). However, if all four colors are in the stack just played on, the next person must be the player whose most-recently played chip (by color) is furthest down in the stack

There's two parts I don't get...

Refusing player selection
Let's say all four colours are NOT on the stack, but the player does not wish to nominate someone, does the "most recently played chip" rule apply? or must they nominate if they wish to play there?

Here's an example:
Players: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow

Red plays on a new pile (1) and nominates Green
Green plays on pile 1 and nominates Blue
Blue plays on a new pile (2) and nominates Red
Red plays on a new pile (3) and nominates Yellow
Yellow plays on pile 1. But yellow does not want to nominate Blue (his only nomination option). Can he then resort to the "most recently played chip" rule? or is he forced to nominate Blue?

Y
G
R B R
---------
1 2 3

Most Recently Played Chip
When all four colours are on the stack and you must go by the most recently used chip...
Are you meant to keep track of who played what chip? Also what if you can't remember if a person even played that chip...it may have been a prisoner. Also what if I played a chip 5 turns ago but everyone else was 6 turns ago, does this mean I get to play or does it have the be the most recent as in the last chip. I am just a but confused as to how this is tracked easily

Here's an example:
Players: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow

Red plays on a new pile (1) and nominates Blue
Blue plays on pile 1 and nominates Green
Green plays on a new pile (2) and nominates Red
Red plays on pile 1 and nominates Yellow
Yellow plays on pile 2 and nominates Red
Red plays on a new pile (3)and nominates Yellow
Yellow plays on pile 1 and nominates Green
Green plays on a new pile (4) and nominates Yellow
Yellow plays on pile 3 and nominates Green
Green plays on pile 1.

G
Y
R
B Y Y
R G R G
-------------
1 2 3 4

Whose turn is it?
Is it Red because reds was played more recently and is further down the stack? This just seems really hard to keep track of, might be easier with cards, but with chips, a player's turn order could be easily forgotten. And what happens in the case of prisoners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this today and we had similar questions.

I'd like to try playing a four player game myself, and really dig into the rules. The time pressure of three people waiting on you to grok something doesn't help.

(I know this is a really old thread, but perhaps there are people playing this game more recently (like me)...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lells
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it yesterday and we where as confused as you.
Is "the most-recently played chip (by color)" the chip played on top of the pile in question, or is it like you think, that we in some way have to remember what color chip was played most recently directly before the latest played chip.
We played it as "the most recently played chip (by Color" is the latest played chip the players own or a captured chip.
If so then it is a clumsy way to explain it. as all the four colors are present and then it has to be the chip (by color) played on top of the pile.
Can anybody who has played the game many times give us the rule explanation.
Maybe we never get a right anwser becuse of the tragedy that occured.
R.I.P. John Nash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
loencen loencen
msg tools
The rules state, "Unless there has been a capture or default, the player then names the next player to play. He may give the move to any player (including himself) whose colour is not represented in the pile just played on. But if all players are represented in that pile, then he must give the move to the player whose most-recently-played chip (by colour) is furthest down in the pile."

In your first scenario, all players are not represented in the pile. He may give the move to any player whose colour is not represented in the pile just played on -- he may only give the move to Blue.

In your second scenario, all players are represented in the pile. He must give the move to the player whose most-recently-played chip is furthest down. Red's most-recently-played chip is above Blue's most-recently-played chip, so the move is given to Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lells
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you !
"bugmenot2015" now i see the light. some times when you read the rules, you do stupid assumptions. New eyes is better than old ones. your explanation of scenario 2 was the right one.
And welcome to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.