Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I have made some simple wooden tokens to use instead of the card chits for temple, port, town, market in the game.

The game has either/or market/port etc on each token, so my question is:

In practice, say in a 4 player game, how many of each token chit is "usually" in play?

I have made 6 of each so far, and you can place a meeple on them easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the various objective cards that list end-game conditions.

For example I believe there's a medium-length game card that lists 6 ports as end-game for 4 players.

Make a couple more than what those objective cards require.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan, great idea - will make some more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about your tokens... Can you provide some pictures?

Edit: oh... you did provide pictures but I was firewallowned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to remember that both pool of these is finite and dependent on two token types.

For example there are 12 City/Churches, and that is the most of the two combined that can be in play, as well as each individually. Ditto for Market/Ports.

So you need 12 of each piece (a given game may trigger game end on a lower number, but often not), but need to make sure that the joint pools are correctly limited.

Honestly, the doublesided cardboard chits are much more functional, as well as looking better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea of replacing the chits with something made out of wood!
Also I think it wouldn't make a big difference if you could potentially have 12 towns and 12 temples at the same time, as they seem to have even playtested it using one-sided chits only. There was a discussion about this somewhere on the forum, concluding that the double-sided chits only made it more difficult to remember announcing the game's end (e.g. when your endgame condition of a certain number of towns becomes impossible due to too many temples built).

Back on topic: I like your idea, mostly because of better visibility, but I would have painted them in colours that are not player colours at the same time. Something like
Black (towns)
White (temples)
Light Brown (markets)
Light blue (harbours)
maybe?

Otherwise good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matschmensch wrote:

There was a discussion about this somewhere on the forum, concluding that the double-sided chits only made it more difficult to remember announcing the game's end (e.g. when your endgame condition of a certain number of towns becomes impossible due to too many temples built).

...and thus not mirroring this with tokens is potentially a large change to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matschmensch wrote:

Back on topic: I like your idea, mostly because of better visibility, but I would have painted them in colours that are not player colours at the same time. Something like
Black (towns)
White (temples)
Light Brown (markets)
Light blue (harbours)
maybe?

Otherwise good job!

Thank you

I totally agree about none player colours, I may take it further yet - just a bit of fun and working with what I had laying around.
Straight off the bat I wanted something visually easy to see, that a meeple could be placed on, and easy to see what it is.

The Temple is the church looking building
The town is the house on it's own
The market is the cone shape ( think tent )
The harbour is the post to tie a boat too

Production values in this game are stunning, so a little pimping out ( or try of it) seems worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do this to address the double-sided situation of when you build a town you take a potential church out of play, thus triggering a possible end-of-game condition.
Make 12 of each kind of marker and place them in a 'bank'. When you build something, withdraw that marker to place on the board and discard a marker for the other side of the chit. That would make it very easy to see how many potential towns, churches, etc. are still available.

As far as decorating the markers, it might be helpful to color them in a way that indicated the build cost. Other than storage issues, making them small isn't a concern. I really like having the ability to stand a meeple on them to indicate control, and a 3D marker to make it easy to see what's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Matschmensch wrote:

There was a discussion about this somewhere on the forum, concluding that the double-sided chits only made it more difficult to remember announcing the game's end (e.g. when your endgame condition of a certain number of towns becomes impossible due to too many temples built).

...and thus not mirroring this with tokens is potentially a large change to the game.

Of course it would be a change, but not for the worse as far as I'm concerned. Seeing how much interpretation the rules need already because of fuzzy translation, I think going back to one-sided chits isn't going to do much harm. At least I can't think of a situation where it could be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
The Temple is the church looking building
The town is the house on it's own
The market is the cone shape ( think tent )
The harbour is the post to tie a boat too

Oh, see, I thought the one on the harbour was a lighthouse ;D
As for the temples: What about taking the "cities" from the old wooden Catan edition? They already look like churches, except a bit more compact than yours. You can get these everywhere in different colours for super cheap.

Edit: Oh wait. Clocktowers in Britain do have flat roofs, right? Then yours are perfectly fine, unless you like your tropical islands with German churches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.