Hide
11 Posts

Coup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assassination Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bone
msg tools
I understand that if i am the target of an assassination and I challenge the assassin, and he indeed is assassin, I lose both my cards, but if I block it with a contessa, but i actually don't have it and he says i don't believe you, do I still lose both of my cards, meaning if I decide to bluff or to call him it's a double death for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you challenge his Assassin and lose that challenge, you can still rely on your Contessa to block the Assassin. (ProTip: in that case, your other card is always the Contessa, even if it isn't. whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone tries to Assassinate you while you have 2 influence left, you have 2 options for avoiding losing influence, and can exercise either, both, or neither.

If you do neither, you lose an influence, but only one influence.

If you challenge the Assassin, and aren't prepared to block with Contessa, there are two possible outcomes - your opponent loses an influence (but keeps his coins), or you lose both influence and are out of the game.

If you don't challenge the Assassin, but do block with a Contessa, then your opponent has a choice to either cut his losses at the three coins he's just spent, or risk also losing an influence to go with the coins in the hopes of knocking out both your influence.

If you challenge the Assassin, planning to block if needed, then there are 4 possible outcomes - they lose an influence but keep their money; they lose their money but you lose an influence; they lose their money and you each lose an influence; or they lose their money and you lose both influence and the game.

Challenging the Assassin guarantees that one of you will lose influence, and if you challenge and lose, you then have nothing to lose by blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

If you challenge the Assassin, and aren't prepared to block with Contessa, there are two possible outcomes - your opponent loses an influence (but keeps his coins), or you lose both influence and are out of the game.

The assasin NEVER keeps his money, once he declared that he will kill someone the player pays the money BEFORE any challenge or counter action.

I just see on rulebook to confirm that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thiagosleite wrote:
The assasin NEVER keeps his money, once he declared that he will kill someone the player pays the money BEFORE any challenge or counter action.

I can back up the other response, as I have also seen an official statement that an Assassin that is challenged correctly does not spend the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thiagosleite wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

I have the Kickstarter edition, and page 6 of my rulebook, last paragraph before the Example Play section, says:

Quote:
If an action is successfully challenged the entire action fails, and any coins paid as the cost of the action are returned to the player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mb
In a 3+ player game. Player A has an assassin. Player B has two cards (no contessa). Player C has two cards (no contessa).

It's Player A's turn. He states he has an assassin and is going to assassinate one of Player B's characters.

Player C says I challenge Player A's claim that he has an assassin.

Player A flips over his assassin card. Player C flips over and discards one of his cards. Does Player A's assassination still go through on Player B?

----

Given the same scenario above except this time Player B has a contessa card.

It's Player A's turn. He states he has an assassin and is going to assassinate one of Player B's characters.

Player C says I challenge Player A's claim that he has an assassin.

Player A flips over his assassin card. Player C flips over and discards one of his cards. Can Player B now state that they block the assassination with their contessa?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes.

You resolve the actions in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
number33_ak wrote:
Player C flips over and discards one of his cards.

Just as a side note for the sake of clarity, when you say "discards" do you use a discard pile? The character card should stay face up in front of the player (but can no longer be used).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mb
Logan8 wrote:
number33_ak wrote:
Player C flips over and discards one of his cards.

Just as a side note for the sake of clarity, when you say "discards" do you use a discard pile? The character card should stay face up in front of the player (but can no longer be used).

That's correct, we flip it over for everyone to see and it's no longer used for that game.

Awesome thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.