Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrogant
Extra action for the most ships
If at the start of your turn you have more ships on the map than any other player, take 1 extra action.

I thought that this card was pretty straightforward, however, my roommate seems to think otherwise. I always thought the card meant that as long as no player has more ships on the map than you, you get an extra action. His interpretation is that as long as you have more ships on the map than at least one other player, you get an extra action.

So the question is over the wording of "more ships than any other player". He says that you can "pick" a player and you have more ships than him. I say that you can "pick" a player and have less than him, therefore you don't get it.

Can we get a community ruling on this please? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan O.
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play it the way your room mate interprets it.
The key word here being "more ships than any other player" as opposed to "more ships than all other players"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I checked the french version which say " tout autre joueur" which means at least one other player as your roommate thinks. Still it could be a bad translation so I don't know if it should be consider "canon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so that brings up my second point from the title of the card.

Extra action for the most ships

This would seem to imply most ships on the map meaning more than every other player.

Additionally, if it said more ships than all other players, that would mean you add them together which would be ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Every other player" would make it clear. I would guess that this is the intent. How arrogant can you really be having the 3rd most ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your original interpretation is correct. If what your roommate says was intended, it would be:

"If at the start of your turn you have more ships on the map than *another* player, take 1 extra action."

"Any other player" implies that if you have more ships, whoever you pick, then you get the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is, unfortunately, a little vague. As I've played more 2-player games than anything else, it isn't a problem. But for the few 3-4 player games I've played, we've treated it the way you do. It would violate the "Extra action for the most ships" if you didn't actually HAVE the most ships. That being said, it's not the most useful of cards as you have to expand quickly and keep knocking people off in order to use it regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin T
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Moshimon wrote:
I checked the french version which say " tout autre joueur" which means at least one other player as your roommate thinks. Still it could be a bad translation so I don't know if it should be consider "canon".

I believe "tout autre joueur" means all other players.

I agree with the 'every other player' interpretation and it fits with the arrogant theme. If you think you're better than all other players, you're arrogant; if you're better than one other player, you're just mediocre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangetang wrote:
If you think you're better than all other players, you're arrogant; if you're better than one other player, you're just mediocre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Frank,

This is a great question and one I haven't heard before. Here's the official ruling from the designer...

You are correct and your roommate is wrong! You need to have more ships than every single one of the other players. If another player ties with you or has more ships on the board at the start of your turn, then you do not get the extra action.

I am sorry about the language ambiguity! But it seems that most of the responders are interpreting the card in the correct manner.

Thanks for playing the game.
Keep the questions coming!
-eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
ericzimmerman wrote:
I am sorry about the language ambiguity! But it seems that most of the responders are interpreting the card in the correct manner.

They are because this is the standard way to describe a relative majority without resorting to the phrase 'relative majority'. As such it is used in countless rulebooks. Without intending to patronise, I'm guessing the OP's friend isn't used to modern games—I wouldn't even have thought of this particular interpretation—otherwise the question would never have popped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this official ruling and settling this so quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McCormick
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I was playing a game today (3 player) and passed on this card, for the reason that everyone was talking about. The entire IF I have more ships argument. I thought of it as ALL other players, so I passed on it. This was due to the fact that one other player was now with 5 ships total, but only one on the board. I had 3 out, but again passed since I would not get the extra turn when the one player redeployed.

I'm glad that I played it right. LOVE this game! Thank you Mr. Zimmerman!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.