Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm proud to say that I've had this game for 28 years now, and run it several times with different groups of people.

I've not played it for about 6 years but was recently if I'd heard of it Long story short, 16 people are coming over this weekend and I'm running the first 3 cases for 4 groups, all at the same time, competing against one another.

Anyway, over the years, I've found errors in various points of the cases, some of them pretty big. I'm not talking spelling mistakes, I'm talking incorrect information. In a cluepoint in case 1, someone says "this morning", and it was actually the morning before. In case 2, one of the numbers on a bank statement is wrong, etc.

Does anyone here have the old version and would be happy to discuss things privately so I can check if I've got it correct.

I say "the old version", as I think some changes were made to case 2 in the new version, but if Case 1 is the same, please give me a shout.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 1982 edition. I'm not sure I'm the ideal person to help, but if nobody else steps up, feel free to geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

I can be of no assistance with the errata, but would like to hear more about how your large event ran.

Did you score success by the move system noted in the book? Or rather by speed? Or some other metric?

Did all groups solve the case?

Et cetera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Red 6 wrote:
Paul,

I can be of no assistance with the errata, but would like to hear more about how your large event ran.

Did you score success by the move system noted in the book? Or rather by speed? Or some other metric?

Did all groups solve the case?

Et cetera.

I've run the game before for multiple groups, so it was nothing new. Scoring was exactly as per the book, nothing different there. In case 1, the scores were 70, 70, 65 - with all teams getting it roughly right and going to roughly (+/- 2) the same number of places.

Case 2 didn't go aswell, as the original case 2 is a bit wooly. And it was getting late, and one team got a bit frustrated and then just made stuff up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. I found the first case (Murdered Munitions Magnate) to be a bit more foggy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
all the international players muddled it for me -- though I did know what they were smoking!

"Mystified Murderess" clicked better with me (maybe I have the system down a bit more now?) and I was able to clamp that one down, well except for one point

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hypnosis!?

Was everyone new players? About how long did it take for them to get through? (I have been breaking up my solo plays into hour chunks, and I never complete a case in one sitting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red 6 wrote:
Was everyone new players? About how long did it take for them to get through? (I have been breaking up my solo plays into hour chunks, and I never complete a case in one sitting).

All were new players. We had 11 people for Case 1, split into 3 groups. Then some people had to leave, so we had 7 people for case 2 split into 2 groups.

Case 1 took about 4 hours. Case 2 was a bit shorter. But I encouraged the groups to not worry about going to too many places and to take their time. You're only going to ever play the case once, and I think its better to get your monies worth and visit more places rather than visit 4 and then make a wild guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info!

Certainly agree with you on not worrying about going too many places -- even if not connected to the case there are some fun happens around London!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.