Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son, Phil, and I played a game of Twilight Struggle yesterday and we had a card combination that we had to think about for a while. I am pretty sure we got it right, but thought I would share. In addition, I have a question about an alternative situation that could have arisen.

I was the US and played Space Race. I selected Missile Envy from the discard pile (it was a safe play because DefCon was at 3). Phil's highest OP card was Wargames (4 OPs, neutral). Great! Wait, I am only ahead by 4 VPs. Wait again, we are only at DefCon 3. So, the event does not happen. But, Missile Envy requires it be played for the event since it is a neutral event card, so I do not get to play it for OPs. Conclusion: Wargames does not take effect, I do not get any OPs, and Phil gets to play Missile Envy for 2 OPs.

Now for the alternative scenario: suppose I had received Wargames on Missile Envy at DefCon2 (I would not have played Missile Envy at DefCon2, but let's suppose). The event takes place. Am I required to give Phil the 6 points and end the game (thereby losing by 2 VPs), or can I decline to give him the 6 VPs (and not end the game) given that the event does happen?

Later on I had a delightful turn where Phil played North Sea Oil, he played another card that aused me to discard, I had to play UN Intervention on Lone Gunman (or Phil would have won by using the OP to increase DefCon to 1) and I played Aldrich Ames Remix which caused me to discard my last card (which was better for me than playing that card, I space raced a worse card earlier). I ended up only able to play 5 actions despite being permitted to play 8!

Despite these mishaps, I managed to win by playing the China Card for the final card of the game. Calculating final scoring before my final card play, Phil would have won by 7 VPs. I used 2 OPs to put 1 IP in Venezuela (that is the 2 strength battleground in South America, right?) to move Venezuela to neutral and change South America from Control to Presence for the Soviets (Phil had no non-battlegrounds), a loss of 5 points for him. I used the other 2 OPs to place 1 IP in France, again moving it to neutral and moving Europe from Domination to Presence for the Soviets, another 5 point swing. 1 less point for me and 1 more for him for control of the China card, and I win by 1 VP. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
I think you are correct, though I assume you meant Star Wars instead of Space Race?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now for the alternative scenario: suppose I had received Wargames on Missile Envy at DefCon2 (I would not have played Missile Envy at DefCon2, but let's suppose). The event takes place. Am I required to give Phil the 6 points and end the game (thereby losing by 2 VPs), or can I decline to give him the 6 VPs (and not end the game) given that the event does happen?

You may decline. The card says you "may" choose to give the opponent 6 VP and end the game. Your choice.

Similarly, North Sea Oil says USA may play 8 cards. Doesn't say that they have to, or even that they'll be able to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
To be more specific, Wargames specifically uses the word "may" before the part about giving VPs (presumably to counter that kind of situation), giving the VPs would not be mandatory.

Sounds like a fantastic game! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdrpi wrote:
I think you are correct, though I assume you meant Star Wars instead of Space Race?

You are correct, I meant Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.