Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line between effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this the other day. In the room with the cauldron the overlord part of the card tells you to spawn some monsters, then a line, then an hourglass with a 3 and the info that the cauldron cracks.

There seems to be no way ever to dispose of the cauldron within three turns, so we figured the line must be an "or": if you can't spawn the monsters (because you didn't kill enough off the board to be able to place the amount indicated on the die) you get closer to cracking the cauldron.

This created an interesting scenario, but I am not sure we played it right. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
RobertDD wrote:
We played this the other day. In the room with the cauldron the overlord part of the card tells you to spawn some monsters, then a line, then an hourglass with a 3 and the info that the cauldron cracks.

There seems to be no way ever to dispose of the cauldron within three turns, so we figured the line must be an "or": if you can't spawn the monsters (because you didn't kill enough off the board to be able to place the amount indicated on the die) you get closer to cracking the cauldron.

This created an interesting scenario, but I am not sure we played it right. Thoughts?

It's certainly possible to destroy the cauldron in as few as two turns.

What you need do is to start a turn with a hero adjacent to the cauldron. If that hero has three Fatigue and two Health available then he can move the cauldron to a pit space and destroy it, all in one turn. With more Fatigue available, you don't even need to be adjacent but just close.

For example, if a Hero is adjacent to the cauldron at the start of his turn, then he...
(i) Spends a Fatigue to gain a movement point and spends it to pick up the cauldron.
(ii) First Action is used to move one space towards a pit space.
(iii) Second Action is used to move one space towards a pit space (he should now be adjacent to a pit space).
(iv) Suffer 2 Hearts and 2 Fatigue to destroy the cauldron.

Since this can be done in one turn (without having to worry about the cauldron cracking), all you need do is try to get a hero as close to the cauldron after one turn. This normally involves killing one of the Flesh Moulders to ensure a space adjacent to the cauldron is empty.

Range attack is best for this, use all your Heroes (bar one) to attack one Flesh Moulder. Once dead, use a Hero to spend two actions to move adjacent to the cauldron (into the space vacated by the defeated Flesh Moulder). This can be done all in the first turn. The more Heroes you are playing with, the easier it should become since all, bar one, Heroes can attack the same monster.

On the second turn, as long as the Hero adjacent to the cauldron has three spare Fatigue and two spare Health, then he can destroy the cauldron on turn two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The things above the line happen every Overlord phase. The text next to the timer only happens when there are fatigue tokens equal to the timer.

So, for the Room of Souls, every turn you should roll a gray defense die and spawn that many Flesh Moulders (respecting group limits). At the start of the Overlord's phase on the 3rd turn, after spawning, the Cauldron cracks. So you basically have 3 turns (including the turn you opened the door) to throw the cauldron into the pit.

It's not a very difficult room, and I have yet to fail completing it though have come close a couple times. Here's the general strategy:
- Turn 1: Have someone move up adjacent to the cauldron. Everyone else kills moulders and moves into position to protect the lifter.
- Turn 2: Have that someone suffer a fatigue for an MP to pick the cauldron up, then use his 2 actions to move to the pit, then suffer 2 fatigue and 2 health to throw the cauldron into the pit.

That leaves a third turn for the just in case measures. Sometimes you may have opened the door and no one can get near, so there's one turn delay as everyone is rushing up. Sometimes your carrier doesn't have enough fatigue to do it proper, so he needs a turn to rest, etc. Using the above strategy, there's plenty of leway time to make up for short comings like that.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clue is realizing that picking up the cauldron is not an action by itself, but just one step of a move action, and thus can even be done by spending one fatigue.

It took me a couple games to realize myself. I have yet to beat the adventure though, something I really like since being challenging for a coop is a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.