Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

gooWelcome to the seventh PBF for Cthulhu Wars on BGG goo

First of all thanks a lot to Redamikanas, who moderated the first PBF games and from whom I'm shamelessly copying... (not to mention Guzmino, Fourmyle21, BotlGnomz, & reddish22, the other moderators)

Current players
1. Venshad: Sleeper
2. Afrofrycook: Black Goat
3. MajaiofDreams: Crawling Chaos
4. AdamStarks: Windwalker
5. Santiago: Opener of the Way

If you're interested in joining a PBF game for Cthulhu Wars, add your name to the waiting list found here or contact me directly: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/CW_PBF

The one condition you need to fulfil to participate in this PBF is that you need to know how to play the game.
I recommend the following links to get up to speed:
° rulebook
° explanation videos for the different factions
° Cthulhu Wars Compendium
° Dreamlands rulebook

Game Type
This PBF will be a 5 player game using the Dreamlands map, High Priests, and all faction expansions, excluding Azathoth.

Be aware that, since this is first PBF that I'm moderating and the first PBF running either Dreamlands or High Priests, there might be a few (or more than a few) hiccups along the way.

Once we have confirmed the players, I will randomly determine the seating order and then you can choose your faction based on that order.
Of course, nothing prevents you from already providing your top faction choices.

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Game Turn
Post the actions you would like to take, or a conditional order of the actions you would like to take depending on previous actions.
Please be precise in your orders, and conditional orders are a great way to keep things moving along.

Images
Try to start your posts with your faction's banner (just copy and past the ImageID/size below each). Alternately, if you are in a hurry, posting from a mobile device, etc..., bold your factions name at the top of the post. The banners are as follows:

2087544 medium

2087545 medium

2087546 medium

2087547 medium

2087548 medium

2195963 medium

2195964 medium

2195965 medium

I will usually refer to everyone by their faction name. I will revise the play map each time we get to a new Gather Power phase and approximately once each Forum page (every ~25 posts) or upon request if alot has gone on during the Action phase.

Rolling Dice
Use the geekroll-feature to roll your own dice.
1-3 is a Miss, 4-5 is a Pain, 6 is a Kill.

I recommend you to use the following custom die instead of a normal d6:
Xcustomw{3: Miss;2: Pain;1: Kill}
(X = number of dice you need to roll)

Timing issues with certain Spellbooks and Abilities:
° Ghroth & The Thousand Forms: Players will have 24 hours to discuss and find a decision.
° Devolve:
1. If Cthulhu still has Power left: He may devolve before and after his Action.
2. If Cthulhu has no Power left: Instead of skipping him, if one of the moves affects him, he must declare within 24 hrs if he wants to devolve. If not, or if the time is up, play continues as normal.
3. If someone is doing multiple actions in a row (for example Yellow Sign's spellbooks, or initiates a Battle as an unlimited action) that would affect Cthulhu, he must declare within 24 hrs if he wants to devolve. If not, or if the time is up, play continues as normal.

We might need to make new rulings along the way when we encounter some other timing problems.

Elder Signs:
I will send you a Geekmail with your current Elder Sign collection each time you get a new one.
The map will only show the number of tokens each player has.

Open Communication:
Communication between players is to be treated as it would if you were all sitting around a table to play a game, this isn't a game of Diplomacy with secret deals being cut. All game-talk between players happens in the forum thread, no PMs other than between Mod&Player for Elder Signs.

Subscribe to the thread!

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Cthulhu Wars PBF #7: Dream A Little Dream
This image to be updated when players join the game.

Trying this out on a lark. Image replaced with replay.gif.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you going to deal with the timing of High Priests? Was going to add them in PBF 5, but thought it'd be too much hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kotsonis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You couldn't have waited until my game filled, at least? Now everyone's going to run off to join your much cooler one instead yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We'll figure those out when get to them I suppose. They can be sacrificed at any point during Gather Power, Doom, or any point during the Action phase. During Gather Power and Doom could be an issue, but hopefully players will declare before-hand or during Doom phase ritual declaration. The Action phase declarations may be the most problematic, though I see it as behaving similarly to Devolve. If you don't declare it before another person takes an action, it will be considered as a response to that action.

Maybe some bad calls will be made by me. Won't know until it gets tried out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BotlGnomz wrote:
You couldn't have waited until my game filled, at least? Now everyone's going to run off to join your much cooler one instead yuk

Yours takes presidence, this game won't begin until your game fills up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming 5 fresh players don't suddenly enter the queue, I'll toss my hat in for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump in if you're not using the queue as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If anything fills up in the queue (assuming PBF#5 doesn't end up needing replacements), "fresh" players will have preference over players already involved with other PBF games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I figured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
OK, PBF#6 has all its players, any who want to play may add themselves for this game. I'd prefer to stick to the queue system that was set up, although I'm not sure how it's working on the PBF wiki page. It looks as though mods have just been deleting players as players begin games, but I don't know that it should be working that way as it essentially takes players out of the pool and would require players to add themselves each time they wanted to play again. We'll probably have to go back in and add players who were deleted to get a true accounting of which players are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players are only supposed to be in the queue if the game they're in hasn't reached 20 Doom Points or the top 3 spaces of the Ritual Track. Nobody in a current game qualifies for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing I think we should think about doing, as mods, is running the PBF by region. I know in PBF 2 we had 2 European players and 3 Americans. The other PBF's were about the same. If we split it up, it could actually allow us to run them faster. Just food for thought.

I intend on modding the PBF games for as many people as want them! I can definitely run two at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Players are only supposed to be in the queue if the game they're in hasn't reached 20 Doom Points or the top 3 spaces of the Ritual Track. Nobody in a current game qualifies for that.

I thought it was just supposed to have a "#" added to the status of a player and then they just get skipped. Otherwise, if we remove them, it's either up to the Mod to add them all back in or the players to re-add themselves. It seems like it'd just be easier to add/remove the "#" mark rather than remove/re-add players each time.

So a combined list would look something like this (skipping the other columns for this example):

NAME STATUS
blackchance #
thegrinder #
kmortis #
darkawatar #
BenTheRat #
Pitpipo #
JChobbs #
Adamstarks #
Guzmino #
sax11 #
juggernaut1 #
paddirn #
venshad #
Santiago #
Valandor #
Benesephiir
Afrofrycook
BotlGnomz M
fourmyle21 V: 11/09 - 23/09
reddish22 M
SrLobo] V: 27/09 - 05/10

This gives us a total listing of all PBF players at any one time and even shows that two players who were in previous games (Benesephiir & Afrofrycook) were never added back to the roster and are ready to be back into a game.

Quote:
The other thing I think we should think about doing, as mods, is running the PBF by region. I know in PBF 2 we had 2 European players and 3 Americans. The other PBF's were about the same. If we split it up, it could actually allow us to run them faster. Just food for thought.

I intend on modding the PBF games for as many people as want them! I can definitely run two at once.

I like that idea. We've got two players in PBF#4 in European/Middle-Eastern time zones, one in Pacific, and me in Eastern and players are taking turns at all sorts of crazy hours of the day/night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the waiting list aspect was more important when Redmanikas was the only mod running games. Now, I feel like we have more mods than players. I'd see no problem with a player playing in multiple games. As I said I'm more than willing to run 2 PBF games constantly until we get the real copies.

I think maybe for the next PBF, just stipulate which zone you'd like to keep it in, and let the first few people who want to join take a seat. We can keep the line going if we want, but it doesn't seem necessary anymore to me.

Maybe we should jump this discussion to another thread though, sorry for hijacking the first page of PBF 7, and thanks for running it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yea, it's gotten complicated now. Anyhoo >thumbs twiddling< open to all now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify the waiting list procedure:

If you're on the list and get into a game, you get removed (by the mod) from the list.

Then, when one of the players in your game reaches 20 points (or Ritual is 3 spaces away from the end (at which point someone should be at 20 points anyway, so this condition seems a bit mood... anyhow...)), then you can put you name back on the list, adding the # to indicate that you are currently playing.

Why completely remove players from the list and adding them only later back to the list?
To give new players the chance to get into a game quicker.
If we would just move the players to the end of the list, new players would then be added behind them, and the already playing players would probably be joining another game before the new players would.

But with so many mods, the waiting list becomes indeed somewhat moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we ever get the final rules for High Priests?

I know they cost 3 power, and can build/control gates, give you 1 power in the Gather Power phase, and can be removed at any time for 2 Power. I'm also pretty sure they can be captured.

But all abilities that target cultists (Dreams, Zingaya, etc) specifically target Acolyte Cultists, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know that we've seen a .docx file go up for them. The last "definitive" comment I saw for them was from Jan 6, 2014 from Sandy:

Quote:
Cultists are now a full category of unit, in and of themselves, just as are Monsters and Great Old Ones. This change was made in response to the emergence of new types of Cultists in the game.

In the full Cthulhu Wars game, there are now three types of Cultists: Acolytes, High Priests, and Brain Cylinders (this last only on Yuggoth).

All Cultists share the following abilities: they produce 1 Power during Gather Power, they can control and build Gates, and they are Recruited instead of Summoned. Actually the Brain Cylinders are not Recruited, but exceptions add zest to life.

Acolytes are the units that appear in normal Cthulhu Wars. In discussions, they are usually called Acolyte Cultists to clarify what is being referred to. Those spellbooks which ONLY apply to Acolytes, and not Cultists in general, have been reworded appropriate. For instance, Cthulhu's Dreams spellbook only works on Acolytes, and only transforms INTO an Acolyte.

High Priests, now available via the High Priest expansion, are the main new Cultist type. They are Recruited like any other Cultist, but cost 3 Power. (The Kickstarter claimed they had to be recruited by another Cultist, but this is no longer the case.) Their special ability is, now, that they can be turned in for 2 Power during Gather Power, the Doom phase, or after any action in the Action phase. They have proved extremely useful and flexible and I regard them as just about a perfect addition to the game.

So yes, spellbooks like Ghroth, Zin Gaya, Cannibalism and Dreams that specifically target Acolyte Cultists cannot affect High Priests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be sacrificed at any time for the two power, so while you may technically be able to capture them, I doubt it's ever happened, or ever will. They can be sacrificed even on other players turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can Sacrifice them for power before or after any action. So they can still lose them if they aren't paying any attention. So if you wait 2.7 seconds and they still haven't sacrificed it, it's free game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Even though it says "at any time", I think there should be some limit to it. It should be a reaction that occurs after another player's action, not something you just keep in your back pocket and then as soon as someone says they're capturing your High Priest you just say you're sacrificing him. It should either be in response immediately after the previous player's action or right after someone moves a unit into the same space as your High Priest. If you're not paying attention, you should be punished for it by losing that HP investment, not just holding onto it as a Get Out of Jail Free card. When someone says, "I capture your High Priest", that action has already happened, you're too late.

Otherwise it just seems like a kid's game where we're shooting lasers at each other, but I wasn't actually killed because I put on my laser-proof vest right before you shot me and I was actually shooting you with my machine gun, so your laser proof vest didn't protect you. I win. Nya nyah

But I'll respect the vote of the player's and/or official GEG response with regards to that. This is a PBF game and people aren't going to be tied to their computer endlessly refreshing their browser waiting on the next move. I think the 24 hour rule probably applies here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Even though it says "at any time", I think there should be some limit to it. It should be a reaction that occurs after another player's action, not something you just keep in your back pocket and then as soon as someone says they're capturing your High Priest you just say you're sacrificing him. It should either be in response immediately after the previous player's action or right after someone moves a unit into the same space as your High Priest. If you're not paying attention, you should be punished for it by losing that HP investment, not just holding onto it as a Get Out of Jail Free card. When someone says, "I capture your High Priest", that action has already happened, you're too late.

Otherwise it just seems like a kid's game where we're shooting lasers at each other, but I wasn't actually killed because I put on my laser-proof vest right before you shot me and I was actually shooting you with my machine gun, so your laser proof vest didn't protect you. I win. Nya nyah

But I'll respect the vote of the player's and/or official GEG response with regards to that. This is a PBF game and people aren't going to be tied to their computer endlessly refreshing their browser waiting on the next move. I think the 24 hour rule probably applies here.

Oh I agree that in theory it COULD happen. I'm just saying that as soon as a player moves in on a lone High Priest, everyone will sacrifice him, unless they're just not paying attention. As far as for the PBF, I'd just allow people to do them retroactively, otherwise you'll have a lot of downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this game might take some time to get going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure people are aware that this PBF is completely open, and that you can participate in it even if you're already in another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.