MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alien Uprising
Living FAQ v0.4

This version is released slightly early, so that you can comment and I can fix before the weekend. Go crush some Bugs!

This is the Living FAQ for Alien Uprising. While it isn’t by any means an official FAQ, it has at least been “sanctioned” by the designers and much of the content is drawn from their answers to questions on this forum. I'm releasing it early in the hope of helping more people and of getting more feedback to produce a better FAQ. I intend to maintain the FAQ at least as frequently as once a week (more if I can manage it during the early days of the released game. I'm aware that none of this content is mine – it’s yours, so if you contribute toward the development of this FAQ by asking a useful question (one that is uniquely insightful, triggers a lot of discussion, or one that gets asked over and over), or by making a constructive suggestion that helps me improve the document (including correcting my mistakes ) I will reward you with (until my well runs dry)

As this document develops from this rough form, I hope to turn it into something a little more useful - hopefully a PDF with document structure. But we'll see how that develops as Sean and Richard have the ultimate say in what to do with it.

Changes in version 0.2
In this release I have finished all the current posts in the Rules sections apart from those that refer to Scenarios. I will add these next. I’ve rearranged things a little bit, I hope the structure/sequence is more helpful.

Changes in version 0.3
Aliens – Archers: updated to correct an error that appeared in a question, leading to misleading info. Added targeting information from Richard
Dice – Triplets: updated to add the ruling that your first roll with the Bonus Dice is your last roll of your dice for that Turn.
Scenarios: added Scenario FAQ to date.
Components – Shield Tokens: added the FAQ for added new tokens to the stack

Changes in version 0.4
Glossary – I thought that it was time to capture some of the terms used in the rules and put them somewhere for ease of reference (Zone, Turn, Auto-Fire)
Game: Win/Lose – added some clarification and discussion of the timing and conditions around Winning
Aliens – Scavengers: added comments
Ambushes: added further detail and clarification
Attacks – Ranged: added explanation of the effect of “corners” on Range determinations
Items – Laser Sword: added clarification of the use of the keyword “Turn” for this card

GLOSSARY
The following terms are used in the game and are either not defined or are not defined clearly, this is my attempt to fill in some of those gaps

Turn
There are two uses of the term “Turn” in this game. The first refers to the game process cycle from Phase I to Phase IV; the second use of the term refers to a single player’s use of an Action/Alien Die to allow them to do something in-game. Generally speaking, if the rules or components refer to “Turn” they mean this second usage: “a player’s turn”, rather than a “game turn”.
There is one notable exception to this: the Laser Sword is activated for the remainder of the Game Turn whenever it is activated. See the entry on Items – Laser Sword.

Zone
This is another term that is “overloaded”. There are two uses of “Zone”: the first is always used in combination with a number and refers to the “square doughnut” that is functionally equidistant from the Ship. The other use of Zone is not combined with a number and refers to a specific area on the board, defined by a Sector/Zone intersection (e.g. Sector 1/Zone 2 is a referred to as a “Zone”)

Auto-fire
Unfortunately, this term appears only once in the game: on the Heavy Blaster item card. It is an attribute of automatic weapons that may receive further attention in future expansions (should they happen). A weapon with Auto-fire allows the player to allocate “Hits” to targets as s/he chooses. This is different from a Grenade, which affects all targets in the area of effect and from non- Auto-fire weapons, which always affect a single Target – even with multiple shots/hits.
Currently, only the Heavy Blaster and the Turret Cannon have the Auto-fire attribute (even though it isn’t mentioned on the Turret Cannon card).

FAQ
Scenarios - General
Q: How are the Scenarios supposed to be used and how does this relate to the setup in the rulebook
A: The setup guide is designed for folks who want to play the game, as designed, out of the box, it defines the default setup. The scenarios are designed to be played in order. Scenario #1 is an easier setup than the default setup, then Scenario #2 uses the default setup then…

Scenarios - #1 Zothren Raiders
Q: There seems to be something wrong with the number of Aliens placed during setup for this scenario
A: You are correct, we missed the "reduce starting aliens and wounds by 1" statement and only included the “reduce starting wounds by 1”. Scenario #1 should only start with 1 Alien per Sector.

Scenarios - #2 Alien Uprising
Q: If this scenario is supposed to use the Default Setup, why does the “Increased Difficulty” section say “place 2 Aliens in each Sector”? Two Aliens is the default
A: This is a hangover from the error on Scenario 1 which is supposed to have only 1 Alien per Sector in setup. Scenario #2 uses the Default setup and the Default Victory Conditions (it "is" the Default game). The suggested difficulty increase over the Default should read "Increased Difficulty: Use 2 Blue and 3 Red Gestation Cards to form the Gestation Deck" (That's 1 Green, 2 Blue, 3 Red instead of 1, 2, 2 per Default)

Scenarios - #3 Code Blue
Q: Why does this scenario say “place 2 Aliens in each Sector instead of 1”?
A: This is redundant (see Scenario #2). Setup for this Scenario is the same as the increased difficulty variant of Scenario #2. Where this Scenario differs from Scenario #2 is the Special Rules and the Crew Requirement.

Scenarios - #6 Bug Hunt
Q: Where do I find the hive entrance tokens? Are they the 4 tokens that came with the Zothren expansion that look like a gestation marker?
A: Correct, they are the included hive tokens

Game – Win/Lose
Q: There are several Win/Lose conditions listed both throughout the rules and in the section “Game End”, can you explain exactly when those conditions are triggered/checked?
A: Firstly, any time a Game End condition is met, the Game Ends. Immediately. Secondly, the Crew cannot win the Game by any condition if there are Bugs on the Ship (this is particularly important if the Rescue Ship arrives).

Components - Coloured Bases
Q: Are the colours of the clip on bases supposed to match the colours of the skill card faces?
A: According to Sean: "They are supposed to match the color of the crewman card faces. They are pretty close, but agreed the teal and green are pretty close. Sorry about that. The color pantones we used were accurate but the printing shifted slightly and the green could have been a little darker"

Components – Shield Tokens
Q: Should unused shield tokens be maintained as a draw pile and a discard pile, reshuffling when necessary, or should all shield tokens not on the board be kept in a face down "messy" pile and selected as random as needed for repairs?
A: personal preference, but we generally have a draw pile and a discard pile

Q: Do new shield tokens go on top of or under old tokens?
A: Underneath the stack

Map
Q: When the game refers to a "Zone" does this mean a unique intersection of a Sector and a Zone, or does it mean a numbered Zone (one of the "Rings" around the ship)
A: Zone always means a single Zone in a single Sector. Use of Zone for the distance from the ship will reference a Zone number.

Q: We know that the Ship is Zone 0, but which Sector is it in? Is it in all Sectors or are there no Sectors inside the Ship.
A: It is in none (it’s just the ship and can only do stuff there card-wise).

Q: The areas on the board with the crates surrounded by green outlines. Are they just for show or did we miss something?
A: Currently for show, but (wink wink) maybe something in the future.

Dice – Alien Head
Q: I know that Alien Icon dice are locked after the first re-roll and I have to draw an Alien for every Alien that I do roll, but are the Alien Dice locked for the rest of the Turn?
A: If you have an Item, Skill or Character Ability that allows you to change a die then you may do this for Alien dice too - unless some other effect (such as a Gestation card) forbids it

Q: Do I always place an Alien Token if I roll an Alien Head?
A: Yes. The only time you do not get an Alien token is if you use Allie's skill, the Sonic Sensors, or it is Jake’s re-roll of his Action Die

Dice - Triplets
Q: What happens if I roll 3 Aliens?
A: You put three Aliens out. Then if it's your first roll you can re-roll the three Aliens plus the Bonus dice; if it's your first re-roll you roll the Bonus dice only since the Aliens are locked; if it's your second re-roll then you're out of luck (and dice)

Q: If I roll a Triplet on my first roll and take the Bonus dice I have to roll the Triple and the Bonus together, after which those five dice are locked. But what about the other two dice can I re-roll them?
A: Once you have rolled the Bonus dice you may not make any more rolls of any dice. You could pick up all 7 dice (the Triplet, the Bonus and the two “spares”) and roll those together, but it would be your last roll even if you’d normally still have a re-roll left.

Movement
Q: How on earth does movement relate to Action Dice?
A: Each time you take an Action Die turn you may move before or after taking the action from the die. If you forfeit the action of the die you may again move (this is called "Running")

Q: Can I interrupt movement in any way?
A: Only by using an Item or Skill, not by using an Action

Trading
Q: Just what may I trade and when may I trade it?
A: You may not trade character starting equipment; you may trade items from the Supply Cache or Ammo Crate at any time that you are in the same Sector

Q: Can I just drop Items or Debris for another Crew to pick up?
A: No (but you can "swap-out" Debris pieces if you are carrying one piece and decide to Retrieve another)

Combat
Q: Why, oh why, do the rules say "an Alien’s Melee die number (Red Die Icon) indicates how many dice they roll AND how many attacks they make?"
A: Do not sweat this young Padawan, for it is there to put the fear on you like some Jedi mind trick. Each dice rolled IS an attack, so the Alien rolls that many dice and that is how many attacks it is making. Easy.

Q: Crew cannot shoot inwards through shields (i.e. from Zone 3 to a lower number Zone), but what about Grenades?
A: Grenades can be thrown through shields in either direction and do not damage Shields

Combat - Cover
Q: Can the 2 forced re-rolls be of the same die in succession or do they need to be used on 2 different dice?
A: Re-roll one die then pick a die for the second re-roll. So you can re-roll 2 different dice, or the same one twice

Combat - Dual Wielding Weapons
Q: If I have a character equipped with two pistols, do they fire both for one ranged attack action?
A: one or the other, not both with a single attack die. IF you had 2 attack dice, you could fire one, and then on your next action (after it comes back to you) use the other to fire a different one.

Q: I can accept that you can't dual wield range weapons, but it seems a bit strange that you can dual wield melee, but only if you have a sword and a gun.
A: Thematically the speed of the "bugs" prohibits duel ranged weapon shots. In Hand-t-Hand, the skilled warrior the Captain is can proficiently wield the Laser Sword and Blaster, but even he cannot proficiently fire at multiple targets with a ranged weapon. Now the trained Marine with his automatic weapon can spray the area with deadly accuracy, but in hand to hand is vulnerable.
So, that is the rule as written, but if that does not make sense to you and the folks you play the game with, feel free to make a house rule. It would be a very minor bonus for the humans, and the "bugs" will not mind - they will just keep coming.

Combat - Range
Q: page 14 in the rulebook (to determine how many zones away a target is from a weapon). It says that "Corners do not effect Zones when determining range." I have no idea what that means.
A: All Zones of the same Zone number that are in your LoS are the same distance away. So if you have LoS to Sector 1 and Sector 2, then Zone 2 in Sector 1 is the same distance away as Zone 2 in Sector 2 regardless of whether you are standing in Sector 1 or Sector 2. You don't count Range "around the corner". It makes things easier for calculating Range.

Gestation Card – Gathering Storm
Q: Do the aliens still move back if the shield is still up in that sector?
A: Yes. Richard says: “I would add for thematic explanation that the shields do not block any movement outward, only movement from outside the shields inward. The Crew wear special badges that enable them to pass through the shields in either direction, but the aliens can only pass through without damage when moving from within the shields outward. Therefore, if instructed to move aliens backward they can be freely moved whether the shields are up or not.”

Alien Troop Cards
Q: Do only aliens with attack arrows for their Sector get to move? Without an attack arrow, the Aliens remain "dormant" for that turn, other than (potentially) more Aliens arriving?
A: Move or Attack only with an arrow (red) (or blue for a hard game)

Crew - Starting Equipment
Q: What should do with the Crew-specific Items that aren't in use for a given game?
A: It is intended that you separate out all starting (Crew-specific) Items that are not in use. The Designers suggest that you bag them up with the Character sheets. So the Item Draw Pile contains non- Crew-specific items only. However, the Designers have also said that it should not affect game balance if you choose to include unused Crew-specific items in the Draw Pile

Crew - Skill Cards
Q: I'm a little baffled about exactly when I can play Skill Cards, do you have any guidance?
A: We certainly do! Sean said: "The intent of the Crewman Skill Cards is: 1) If it has a Star, it has to be played on you, at some point during one of your action die moves (before, during or after); 2) If it does not have a star, it is to be played on another crewman, and can be played at any time it is appropriate." This means that (with the right Skill card) you could allow another Crewman to pick up that Debris without using an action as long as s/he started or ended Movement next to the Debris and in your Sector.

Q: I'm burning through Skill cards like crazy! Will I ever refresh my hand?
A: No. But the good news is that you draw one every time there is Gestation (not that Gestation is necessarily a good thing itself!).

Q: “I Hate Bugs”: the text says “discard to ignore all aliens drawn this turn by any crewman, including you”, how does this skill card work?
A: Like all Skill cards, it is situational. Depending on what you are doing when you decide to play the card, you might:
Avoid adding alien tokens to the board that you would normally add from your action die rolls where you roll the Alien head symbol
Avoid adding being ambushed by an alien token if you turn over wreckage and find an “Alien Head”
Avoid adding alien tokens to the board that would come out when you play the Alien Troop card

Q: For Jaylen's Clear a Path skill card, do the aliens still move back if the shield is still up in that sector?
A: See “Gestation Card – Gathering Storm”

Crew - Jake
Q: After choosing an Action Die with an Alien Icon, can Jake re-roll it?
A: Yes. One time per die he may use his skill (see also Dice - Icons).

Q: When does Jake's re-roll occur? Immediately after choosing an Action Die, immediately after choosing all Action Dice (if more than one is chosen by Jake), or anytime up to the point of using a die for an action?
A: When he takes the die or just before using it.

Q: If an Action Die is given to Jake by another character via some card effect, can he re-roll it?
A: Yes, he can reroll each action die he has one time each turn.

Q: If Jake re-rolls a die and gets an Alien, does he draw an Alien from the bag?
A: His skill does not make them Alien Icons (but attack icons) so... no.

Crew – Rex
Q: How often can Rex use his special power? On each Sector draw? One time?
A: Rex has to be start player, draws for that sector, and can keep, or discard everything he drew, and redraw (keeping that result) then move to the next sector, and repeat.

Crew - X-14
Q: Does her recharge ability work just like the action die? That is, does she still have to roll the die?
A: If using her ability, X-14 can reduce her health on her turn any number of spaces to recharge any of her items the same number.

Q: Does First Aid work on X-14?
A: X-14 can't use heal dice but her special ability lets her use reload/recharge dice instead, so the only way to "heal' her is via one of her cards or her special ability. If you’re playing the easier way you just recharge her like any item (no roll needed). If you’re playing with increased difficulty, you roll a d6 and on anything but a 1 she is recharged. X-14 recharges up to full with a recharge card.

Q: When X-14 self-destructs, does he repair himself, or does someone else have to move to his spot and use an engineering action on him (which would be odd since normally two people can't finish on the same hex)? In a game I played today, the person playing X-14 moved to a zone with 8 bugs, self-destructed without using an action since it's a skill card, and then used an engineering die to finish his turn good to go. Is that legal?
A: When X-14 self-destructs, he becomes like a repair board, and someone has to move to his location and repair him (he does nothing until someone does - no cards, no dice, nothing). If playing easy difficulty, you can move to his square to repair him. Once you have the game down, the rules say you can pass through but not stop/end on a space with another player except the ship, so the only way to legally repair him is to move to him, spend an action die to pick him up like any other debris, take him to the ship, and repair him like any other found debris item. That is the intent of him as designed.
(Richard and Sean were originally going to make that a "1 and done" card, meaning you do it, and X-14 is dead.)

Items - Recharging, Repairing, Discarding
Q: Only Weapons have the bolt icon, but the rules suggest that (at least some) Items can be recharged. Are all Items that use Energy rechargeable?
A: you may only recharge items with a lightning bolt Icon (or fix items that have a wrench Icon). Items with an "x" cannot be recharged/reloaded (unless using a special card)

Items - Lucky Coin
Q: Can this card be used on a defensive roll?
A: Yes, basically it covers all combat dice (the standard D6s)

Items – Ghost Armour
Q: Ghost Armor resets during Phase IV and can be reactivated during Phase II, but the FAQ #8 says that it works against the Alien Fliers Event Card. Given that Event Cards are drawn in Phase I, how does this work?
A: Basically we decided during development that if flying bugs appeared, Allie should be able to activate the suit to avoid them, even though it is earlier than she normally would do it. If you opt to activate your suit when the card is drawn, you may do so, and are invisible for the rest of the turn (until Phase IV). Our intent is, you activate it when the Event is drawn and it is still in effect on the crewman phase.

Items – Weapons
Q: I don't understand which weapons can hit multiple targets and how Grenades work, can you explain?
A: This is most easily handled by grouping weapons together:
Grenade: grenades are unique in that they are "area of effect" weapons; all the attacks (i.e. dice) affect all the targets in a Zone (including Friendly Fire). Grenades are not Range attacks.
Heavy Phaser, Turret Cannon: targeting a Zone like Grenades, they differ from Grenades because each "hit" is allocated to a target AFTER the dice have been rolled
Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle, Blaster and Photon Gun: although these weapons can use multiple dice in an attack, all the dice affect the same target

Items – Laser Sword
Q: The Laser Sword says that you “Roll 1 Die and add +1 to all your Melee dice results this turn”. Errrr what does it mean by “this turn”?
A: This is an unfortunate case of terminology overloading. Here’s what Richard has to say on the topic: “The wording could have been better, but when activated the Sword remains activated through the entire [game] turn, ending after the Phase IV the Planet Phase. The one use per turn is meant to prevent activating the Sword to gain additional dice and +1 modifiers to combat rolls – so the Sword only can provide 1 additional die and a +1 modifier to all dice rolled.” (of course it also limits the rate of discharge to 1 per Turn even if you use it for Melee Attack and Melee Defence – Ed.)

Aliens – Attacking
Q: If an alien misses more than one attack against a Shield can it take more than one wound?
A: They can take multiple wounds (and you want this!!)

Q: When an alien destroys a Shield does it get to move into the next section or do only aliens who have not yet attacked get to move one zone further in?
A: No. Only those who have not yet attacked.

Aliens - Drawing from the Bag
Q: sometimes when I draw a token from the bag I get a Blue or Red (Event) Token, what's that all about, what do I do now?
A: Event Tokens are part of the "clock" for the game, they drive Gestation, when you draw an Event Token put it aside for during the Planet Phase where it will be resolved (we like to put ours on top of the Gestation Deck), once you've put the Token aside, draw a replacement and keep going until you have the number of Aliens that you were supposed to draw. I'm afraid that all those Event Tiles that you drew will be waiting for you at the beginning of the Planet Phase

Q: Is there a limit to the number of aliens? We actually ran out at one point because we actually didn't draw any eggs until all the aliens were gone and were either in the dead pile or on the board.
A: Gestation typically will prevent that. But if for some reason you do run out (and you would be in MAJOR trouble) they all go back in the bag after a Gestation, but theoretically it is possible you could draw all of them and no eggs.

Aliens - Defeated
Q: I have this massive stack of Alien Tokens from all the Bug squashing I've done and all the Bug Zapping that the Shields did, what do I do with them?
A: They go back in the Bag when a Gestation occurs

Aliens – Ambushes
See “Debris – Alien Head”

Aliens - Scouts
Q: What happens with a Scout is placed on the board after setup
A: If a Shield or a Crew member is in Zone 3 then the Scout attacks, if neither is present the Scout advances to Zone 2 (and attacks a Crewman, if one is present)

Aliens - Archers
Q: When an Archer attacks, what does it Attack (I’m a little confused how it picks a target)?
A: Archers, like all other aliens, only attack targets in their Sector. Therefore, if the shields are up in their sector they attack the shields. If the shields are down in their sector, they attack the closest crew member if one is in their Sector. If no crew member is in their Sector they attack the ship.

Q: When an Archer attacks, what does it need to roll a Hit?
A: For Shields it needs to at least equal the Shield Token’s value, for Crewmen it needs a 4+ (that is 4-6) and for the Ship it needs a 5+ (that is 5-6)

Q: If the archer attacks the ship the Gestation moves up 1 for each hit on the ship?
A: Correct. If Archers are active in an area, you better raise the shields, attack them quickly or move a crew member in to become the target of they will really hinder your chance at victory.

Q: What happens if an Archer is uncovered hiding in Debris?
A: If uncovered in an ambush, an Archer moves back to the outer zone (Zone 3) after attacking the crewman who uncovered it. The Archer is not harmed by an active shield when moving back in this way. Other effects that move warriors behind an active shield also do not harm them.

Aliens - Scavengers
Q: It seems a bit harsh that Scavengers can steal just two pieces of Debris and thereby seal the fate of the Crew. Isn’t this broken?
A: A good lesson have you learned here young apprentice! This is a strategy that you must espouse: do not let Scavengers steal your Debris. Ever.

Debris - General
Q: Exactly when can I pick up Debris?
A: That depends on what "entitles" you to pick up the Debris!
If you are using an Action Die (Special Action) then you can pick it up during your Action Die turn BUT it must be either before you move, or after - you cannot interrupt the movement for the action die with the use of the die for an action
If you are using an Item or Skill (yours, or somebody else's) you can pick up the debris at any point during your Action Die turn

Q: Exactly when can I start using an Item that I found as Debris?
A: All Debris (that’s all Debris) has to be returned to the Ship before a player can take the Item card and assign it to their Crew member! (Note: F1-D0 is Debris)

Debris – Alien Head
Q: Drawing an Alien Head on a Debris Token triggers an Ambush, How do ambushes work? I'm assuming the Alien just shows up in whichever zone the debris was in, and then attacks or advances as normal from there.
A: Correct. This is true for all Aliens – even Tunnelers and Scouts. With one exception: Archers move back to Zone 3 after the Attack (assuming that they are still alive).

Q: What constitutes “normal” movement, in this context?
A: When an Alien Troops card indicates movement in the Sector: Brutes, Slashers and Scavengers advance one Zone; Scouts move forward two Zones; Tunnellers advance to Zone 1 directly and Archers stay where they are – in Zone 3 (where they moved immediately after the Ambush). All movement is interrupted when a Bug encounters a target, except for Tunnellers who go directly to Zone 1, do not pass GO and most certainly do not stop to chew on a Crew member on the way – they want to take down the “hive” of the interlopers.

Debris – Crate of Ammunition
Q: Do aliens rolled but used with the Crate of Ammo still result in an alien token being drawn?
A: See “Dice – Alien Head”

Debris – Energy Crystal (Green or Red)
Q: You can move energy crystals between salvage boards, correct, and that can be done as a free action? We had installed the first crystal we found in the Energy Transmitter and had used the transmitter twice. The engines and hull were fully repaired. When the second crystal was returned, were we allowed to both immediately install the newly-returned crystal in the engines and immediately move the one in the transmitter to the engines?
A: You can move them for free from the gathered board, to the repair board you choose, but once installed, you cannot move them. We recommend keeping them on gathered until you absolutely need them, just in case.

Debris - F1-D0
Q: I'm a little confused about F1-D0, is he an Item, or Debris; how do I retrieve him and use him?
A: F1-D0 is a debris token, and all debris tokens (except alien heads) have to be brought back to the ship. Once he is on the ship, the player who returned him, gets his equipment card and can start using him right away.

Q: OK, I get how I can acquire F1-D0, but how does F1-D0 do his stuff for me?
A: He is a recovered item by the player who found and returned him to the ship, so that player controls him and has him do as they wish. You can move to a debris item with him, flip and pick up (or drop) that is your choice. He brings the debris to the ship, not the owner. F1-D0's card is just like any other item that exhausts, so on any of your turns, you can use that "item" and move it up to 4 spaces and pick up a debris. The card then says to exhaust (flip over). You do not un-flip exhausted items until the planet phase.

Debris - Supply Cache
Q: When the first players draws 3 cards and a sonic grenade does every one need to be on the ship or if we are all spread out can I just give them to the players?
A: The cache was designed as help, so once brought back to the ship, you can distribute as you choose. If you wanted a harder, thematic challenge, you could require folks to be on the ship, or leave items on the ship for your fellow crew mates, but as written, all you need to do is bring it to the ship to draw the items, and then may hand them out regardless of where you are on the board.

Debris - Turret Cannon
Q: Line of Sight from the Ship is Sector 4 only, so what use is the Turret Cannon?
A: turret is on top of ship and has a 360 degree arc (so all 4 sectors)

Q: Do I need an Attack Die to be able to use the Turret Cannon?
A: Yes

Debris - Unstable Crystal
Q: If the unstable crystal explodes and "Everyone in Zones 0 or 1 takes 1 die of Wounds", we know that Bugs do not count as people, but are they included in "Everyone"?
A: You might be surprised to know that Bugs are people too - so yes, they are included in "Everyone", just as the Crew are "Everyone" when a Grenade goes off!

Q: When the unstable crystal explodes, does it damage the Ship or the Item it was powering?
A: No (ship "Wounds" trigger Gestation; that would be very, very nasty even for this game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ferrete
Switzerland
Aarau
Aargau
flag msg tools
Re: Living FAQ - rough initial draft
This is an amazing resource for this game until an official FAQ comes along. Huge thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for starting this as I have been on the road for over a week (my son's wedding in Houston - big doings) and upon my return hope to put together the official FAQ over the next 7 - 10 days.

Thanks again,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard and I will be getting together soon to work on the FAQ.

Huge thanks for the living FAQ!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Stockton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Living FAQ - now release 0.2
Please check the ruling on duel wielding WEAPONS. Page 15 rule book, EXAMPLE at bottom of page. 1 action die will allow me to activate 2 single handed weapons with 1 attack action die. RIGHT OR WRONG?

I understand it related to the sword and a pistol. I don't see in the rules you cant use the same rules with 2 ranged weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Travis - That example is for a melee combat. The examples for ranged all show 1 weapon, and it is what Richard envisioned during design (that a crewman would not duel wield ranged weapons).

I think the confusion comes from the blaster. When using a Blaster for Melee, you are not actually activating (expending energy) it to use it. You are for a ranged attack.

1 action die will allow you to activate 1 weapon. The captain can activate the sword (1 energy) and use the Blaster butt (no energy used - melee attack portion of the card).

Duel wielding pistols/blasters can only happen if you find the supply cache, and while it sounds like this might be a loophole, Richard posted his intent that the speed of the aliens was too great to try and track two targets with two guns. I like the expend energy from one weapon per attack die myself, but we are saying the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll see if I can tighten up the FAQ entry to make sure that's all clear, thanks for the response, we want this to reduce confusion, not create it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this. It is needed.

The archers section is irritating me:

Aliens - Archers
Q: If the archer attacks the ship the Gestation moves up 1 for each hit 4+ on the dice = hit on the ship?
A: Correct. If Archers are active in an area, you better raise the shields, attack them quickly or move a crew member in to become the target of they will really hinder your chance at victory.

A: For Shields it needs to at least equal the Shield value, for Crewmen it needs a 4+ and for the Ship it needs a 5+

What is correct?

In the rulebook it is written that Archers attack the shield (or nearest Crewman if Shields are down or if a Crewman is in their sector and zone).

So: 1.) The Archers will attack the shield. Only if there is a Crewman in their zone they will attack the Crewman.

2.) When the Shields are down they attack the nearest Crewman. So f.e.: THe Archer is located in Sector 1, Zone 3. The shields are down and there is one Crewman in Sector 1, Zone 2. Does the Archers shoot the Crewman in Zone 2?

And: If the nearest Crewman would be in Sector 2, Zone 2, would the Archer attack that Crewman instead of shooting the Ship? I do not think so because Archers would never attack the Ship then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Archers, like all other aliens, only attack targets in their Sector. Therefore, if the shields are up in their sector they attack the shields. If the shields are down in their sector, they attack the closest crew member if one is in their Sector. If no crew member is in their Sector they attack the ship.

Therefore, it is pretty easy to identify the target for the Archers when they activate.

Thanks,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sebastian,

The rules are correct, that mention in the FAQ is incorrect and part of why we are doing a living FAQ (to catch and correct these things).

Archers need 4,5 or 6 (4+) to hit crewman. They need 5 or 6 to hit the ship (5+) and they need equal to or greater than the shield value to hit a shield (and never take damage from a shield).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it greater than the shield? I thought the aliens won ties against the shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So the Archers have the following priority:

1.) Crewman in same sector and zone.
2.) Shields.
3.) Crewman in same sector.
4.) Ship.

Correct?

@ Donn: Equal to or greater than the shield value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:

That's my understanding as well, but not what has been stated. I'd just like clarification from Richard and/or Sean so that the FAQ does not end up with the wrong information in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
Thank you for this. It is needed.

The archers section is irritating me:

Aliens - Archers
Q: If the archer attacks the ship the Gestation moves up 1 for each hit 4+ on the dice = hit on the ship?[/b]
A: [b]Correct
. If Archers are active in an area, you better raise the shields, attack them quickly or move a crew member in to become the target of they will really hinder your chance at victory.

A: For Shields it needs to at least equal the Shield value, for Crewmen it needs a 4+ and for the Ship it needs a 5+

What is correct?

In the rulebook it is written that Archers attack the shield (or nearest Crewman if Shields are down or if a Crewman is in their sector and zone).

So: 1.) The Archers will attack the shield. Only if there is a Crewman in their zone they will attack the Crewman.

2.) When the Shields are down they attack the nearest Crewman. So f.e.: THe Archer is located in Sector 1, Zone 3. The shields are down and there is one Crewman in Sector 1, Zone 2. Does the Archers shoot the Crewman in Zone 2?

And: If the nearest Crewman would be in Sector 2, Zone 2, would the Archer attack that Crewman instead of shooting the Ship? I do not think so because Archers would never attack the Ship then.
My bad, I was harvesting FAQ from the Forum answers and did a Copy/Paste on this one without a cross-check. I will fix it ASAP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
Beckikaze wrote:

That's my understanding as well, but not what has been stated. I'd just like clarification from Richard and/or Sean so that the FAQ does not end up with the wrong information in it.
Note that the "wrong information" comes from the Question - one posed on the Forum. However, I should have picked it up when I copy/pasted the Q&A into the l.FAQ and I will update it later today (much, much later) Here is the update to the Aliens - Archers section that I will post (assuming no argument)
Living FAQ v0.3 wrote:

Aliens - Archers
Q: When an Archer attacks, what does it Attack (I’m a little confused how it picks a target)?
A: Archers, like all other aliens, only attack targets in their Sector. Therefore, if the shields are up in their sector they attack the shields. If the shields are down in their sector, they attack the closest crew member if one is in their Sector. If no crew member is in their Sector they attack the ship.

A: For Shields it needs to at least equal the Shield Token’s value, for Crewmen it needs a 4+ (that is 4-6) and for the Ship it needs a 5+ (that is 5-6)

Q: If the archer attacks the ship the Gestation moves up 1 for each hit on the ship?

Q: What happens if an Archer is uncovered hiding in Debris?
A: If uncovered in an ambush, an Archer moves back to the outer zone (Zone 3) after attacking the crewman who uncovered it. The Archer is not harmed by an active shield when moving back in this way. Other effects that move warriors behind an active shield also do not harm them.

How does that suit you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct Donn. Edited above. Thanks for the catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pema
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Living FAQ - now release 0.3
Q: When placing Aliens to any sector, do you have to select the sector first, or can you see the Alien Token first?

Q: If Gestation happens because Ship Overrun by Aliens (aliens entering the ship), does it mean that since all Event Token are put back in the bag, gestation does not advance again in the Planet Phase?

Q: If Gestation occurs in the Alien Actions Phase, is gestation card drawn then or at the Planet Phse?

Q: Are gestation ongoing event cumulative, or is just the last one used?

Q: What does "Corners do not effect [sic] Zones when determining range" mean? Is distance from Sector 1 Zone 2 to Sector 2 Zone 1 1 or 2?

Q: Rex Nova's card Good Shot allow re-rolling all combat dice. Does it mean ranged or melee, can it be used both on player turn and on alien turn, and if used in melee, are only player dice rerolled?

Q: Can Rex Nova's Jack of All trades card be used after a dice roll?

Q: Corporal Diesel's Cover Fire allow re-rolling all failed combat dice. How about in melee?

Q: Jake's Counter Attack: Are you allowed to use a grenade?

Q: Ivan Star's Electrified Equipment: Are extra dice without modifiers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily answered first, I'll come back to the others
pema wrote:
Q: When placing Aliens to any sector, do you have to select the sector first, or can you see the Alien Token first?
In the spirit of the game and in comparision to other Launius games I'd say that you nominate the Sector then blind draw. The rulebook only says " The Alien Icons, when rolled, immediately add an Alien Token to the Board (your choice where to place)", which to me says you draw, look at the Alien, then place it in your chosen sector. But ultimately it doesn't matter much, play easy when you need easy mode, hard when you don't.

Quote:
Q: If Gestation happens because Ship Overrun by Aliens (aliens entering the ship), does it mean that since all Event Token are put back in the bag, gestation does not advance again in the Planet Phase?
Well the rules say "Each 5 or 6 results in advancing the Gestation Marker 1 space on the track. This may cause a Gestation!" Gestation is not triggered immediately, you check for Gestation during Phase IV, this is one reason that you might get multiple gestations in a Turn.

Quote:
Q: If Gestation occurs in the Alien Actions Phase, is gestation card drawn then or at the Planet Phse?
The whole of Gestation is done in Phase IV. Resolve Event Tiles, Draw Card, refill bag. All in Phase IV

Quote:
Depends on the card. If it says "one time effect" then that's what it is, otherwise they are cumulative ongoing effects. Yes, I know, ouch!

Quote:
Q: What does "Corners do not effect [sic] Zones when determining range" mean? Is distance from Sector 1 Zone 2 to Sector 2 Zone 1 1 or 2?
It means that if you are standing in Sector 2 and have LoS to Sector 2 and 3 then you can fire into S3Z2 as the same range as S2Z2. You don't count "around the corner" for range.

Quote:
Q: Rex Nova's card Good Shot allow re-rolling all combat dice. Does it mean ranged or melee, can it be used both on player turn and on alien turn, and if used in melee, are only player dice rerolled?
There's no clear definition of "Combat Dice" if that's the phrase used on the card (I don't have my set available). However, it if refers to Attack Dice then that is a term used in the rules and it definitely refers to the Red dice used in a Range attack and the Blue dice used in Melee. But I'd say that a re-roll doesn't require that you re-roll the Alien's dice in a melee.

Quote:
I don't have the card text to hand. Maybe later.

Quote:
Q: Corporal Diesel's Cover Fire allow re-rolling all failed combat dice. How about in melee?
I don't see why not. But thematically it's a bit odd using Cover Fire into Melee!

Quote:
Q: Jake's Counter Attack: Are you allowed to use a grenade?
Only if you drop the thing at your feet (and therefore attack the zone you are melee-ing in). Grenades are not Ranged Weapons, so you could melee a Tunneller then drop a Grenade if you didn't kill it. Of course you might die too!

Quote:
Q: Ivan Star's Electrified Equipment: Are extra dice without modifiers?
Again, I don't have the text to hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pema
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Easily answered first, I'll come back to the others[q="pema"]

Quote:
Well the rules say "Each 5 or 6 results in advancing the Gestation Marker 1 space on the track. This may cause a Gestation!" Gestation is not triggered immediately, you check for Gestation during Phase IV, this is one reason that you might get multiple gestations in a Turn.

That's different rule - Alien Archers attacking the ship.

Quote:
Quote:
The whole of Gestation is done in Phase IV. Resolve Event Tiles, Draw Card, refill bag. All in Phase IV

That's not what the rules say.

Quote:
Quote:
Depends on the card. If it says "one time effect" then that's what it is, otherwise they are cumulative ongoing effects. Yes, I know, ouch!

It could be ongoing until next ongoing effect.

Quote:
Quote:
There's no clear definition of "Combat Dice" if that's the phrase used on the card (I don't have my set available). However, it if refers to Attack Dice then that is a term used in the rules and it definitely refers to the Red dice used in a Range attack and the Blue dice used in Melee. But I'd say that a re-roll doesn't require that you re-roll the Alien's dice in a melee.

Designer comments would be nice.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have the card text to hand. Maybe later.

If it would be clear I would not ask for clarification.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see why not. But thematically it's a bit odd using Cover Fire into Melee!

But what is a failed roll in melee? Attacking dice that failed to damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pema wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Easily answered first, I'll come back to the others[q="pema"]

Quote:

That's different rule - Alien Archers attacking the ship.
Yes, but the point is to generalise and see if that illuminates the specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To add to the list:

Hull Plating Cover
Is not cumulative with other hex cover modifiers.

Here's how I have it in my notes:
"Hull Plating: if carrying treat as Red Hex (unless already have cover)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's another to add as clarification:

Scavengers: When advance, they will steal debris in their new zone if possible. If no debris then they will attack Crew in the zone if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.