Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Physical crystals are a huge improvement for Seasons:
1) adds to the theme
2) provides a missing tactile-element to the game
3) makes the attack cards more 'fun' as you physically slide crystals across the table, rather than adjust the fiddly score track.
4) if you bump the table, you don't loose the score.
5) it's easy to see at a glance who is winning around the table (don't loose very much visibility into the score)

I was in Goodwill and saw a bag of crystals for $1. Here's what they look like.
The big blue ones in this photo are worth 10 points each.

I may post another photo here if it gets approved.
Here it is (big ones worth 10, small ones worth 1):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do improve the game! That crystal track is gladly tossed aside when we play, now that I got an assortment of crystals in several colors.

Mine are smaller, so as to fit into the box, with values of 1/5/25/100 for ease of use.

Much the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that the silly undersized track is the worst part of the game by far. Haven't yet splurged for actual crystals yet though. I'll have to ask my usual 2 player opponent what he thinks first (hate to exacerbate his AP with another thing to count).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could just release an upgraded score track. Perhaps through the BGG store? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use those big glass beads for "crystals". We also use (different colored) beads for the summoning gage.

We deal out a 15 piece "reserve" for each person that you draw from when you increase your summoning gage. The "summoning stone" sits on your player board, then when you summon a card, place the summoning stone on the card.

This is a much easier way to keep track of your summoning gage. No more counting cards to see if can summon another card. If you have a stone to spare, you can. If you don't, you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
richcharters wrote:

5) it's easy to see at a glance who is winning around the table

This would be my primary concern and one I would approach skeptically. In-game it often becomes important to not only have a general idea of who is winning but also exactly what everyone's score is. A number of cards deal with being less than or greater than another person's score.

The other would be on how fiddly it becomes when a number of in-game effects cause players to continually steal 1 VP from the others.

For these reasons, some kind of score board system seems idea... just not the one currently offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
richcharters wrote:

5) it's easy to see at a glance who is winning around the table

This would be my primary concern and one I would approach skeptically. In-game it often becomes important to not only have a general idea of who is winning but also exactly what everyone's score is. A number of cards deal with being less than or greater than another person's score.

The other would be on how fiddly it becomes when a number of in-game effects cause players to continually steal 1 VP from the others.

For these reasons, some kind of score board system seems idea... just not the one currently offered.

It's actually really easy to see how you're doing at a glance if you use different colors for different denominations and people are efficient changing them out. We use reds for 50, green for 20, blue for 5, and white for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd image is now posted for reference.

Here are 45 points. The small ones are 1 point (there are 3 colors of small ones...two colors in the photo). The big ones are 10 points.

To reiterate....this is the best addition I've made to a board game's components....really enhances the game play and the fun factor.

PS: They all fit in the box, but I lift out the insert and store them below and then put the insert back in over them. Works like a charm....or is that a SPELL?? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i only play this game online where the computer keeps track of scoring, but I wonder if an iPhone app like Score Keeper XL (which i use for ther games) would work well for Seasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just got this game, and before we even started everyone cringed at the scoreboard. I was too thinking an app would be perfect. if your playing with 3 players just tell the app how many and which colors, and it would split the screen into 3 colored sections. tap the top of your colored section to go up points, and tap the bottom to go down. Everyone could see the score, and everyone could adjust their own score.

Although i do like the idea of the crystals, and that may have to be my solution since im not an app developer!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Powell
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several demo plays, I had the same opinion about the scoring track - it's too crowded and has a lot of potential for mixups, especially when people are rolling dice and moving resources around constantly. So, when I went out this weekend to go buy the game from my local store, I stopped at the local hobby supply shop first and bought a bunch of beads to use as "crystals". I bought about 40 clear plastic beads that look like small gems and bought another 40 assorted larger discs that look like multi-colored rocks. We use the clear crystals for 1's and the rocks for 10's and they work GREAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenny graham
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We simply use larger pink crystals to denote 10 crystals and small clear crystals to denote 1 crystal. It is incredibly easy to tell at a quick glance who has more, but also to tell very quickly who has how many. I could also see the value in having a 50 denomination crystal, but more than that seem excessive to me.

And I think the action of giving other players your crystals is much easier as you simply hand them 1 or 2 etc crystals from your stash as opposed to increasing their score and then decreasing your score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hurst
United States
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fabulous idea! Why have I not thought of this??? The crystal track board is a pain to maintain... especially when the cat jumps on the table <,<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.