Subject: Strategy level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clovis R
United States
Syracuse
NY
flag msg tools
Is this much of a strategy game or is it just roll the dice to fight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been wondering about the level of weight to the game as well. How many tactical, meaningful choices are there? How much strategy is there in how you develop your character? Or is this mainly a simple strategy, charge forward and fight through the minions of darkness, enjoy the thrill of the ride kind of game?
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marnaudo compared this to the DnD boardgames. He said the DnD games were just confined to a simple combat mechanic while this was a whole other level of tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
I've played probably half a dozen games so far, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Combat is not incredibly complex. Yes, there is a lot of dice rolling. However, more often than not, people I play with (myself included) find themselves making difficult choices. For example, do we use the dynamite now? Which Sermon should the Priest use? As a Sheriff, I can reduce my initiative to 1 and get a defensive bonus, but that means that zombies will be going first, and based on the AI, they'll be going after our wounded Rancher who specialized in ranged combat. But she also has a bonus for escaping from adjacent enemies, so maybe she can pull it off.

It inspires table conversation. You discuss tactics and options. Your plans are thrown out the window when you roll a '1' on movement, but that extra Grit is a bittersweet surprise, giving you a few more choices to make.

This is by no means chess, but it's not nearly as straight forward as someone might assume. And more importantly, when things do go wrong (and they will), it is absolutely, utterly, irrevocably hilarious. Yakity Sax levels of insanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the layers of strategy improve over time.

Initial games have you with one skill.

After only two games, I have 2 more abilities each:

Gunslinger gets an extra shot if he holds his turn and can shoot through lines of enemies

Saloon girl gets to kick monsters away from her (giving her the ability to move to better positions) she has a shiv to do a one off defense free hit in melee combat and has now got a pimped out repeating holdout pistol.

This means already I have to make choices about who goes first, whether to get upclose for melee for the saloon girl or to move back and shoot, the gunslinger has to try and position himself so he can do his through shot.

It's getting more interesting as time goes by, but it is also getting harder for me to track all the bells and whistles of each character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:

This is by no means chess, but it's not nearly as straight forward as someone might assume. And more importantly, when things do go wrong (and they will), it is absolutely, utterly, irrevocably hilarious. Yakity Sax levels of insanity.

Tipped for the "Yakety Sax" comment.
Imagining a bunch of hard-edged cowpokes and banditos fighting monsters with Yakety Sax playing (and that old guy from Benny Hill chasing a scantily-clad chick in the background) made my freakin' day!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.