1 , 2  Next »   | 

Villainous Vikings» Forums » News

Subject: Viking Sales Suspended rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentioned in a different post, but worthy of its own:

Villainous Vikings Sales Suspended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Mentioned in a different post, but worthy of its own:

Villainous Vikings Sales Suspended

soblue

I think this is a fantastic response by VPG and very professional. This is not an empty apology. This is a company director taking action when presented with work that does not meet a high enough standard.

Regardless of any mistakes made I say well done VPG for responding with positive change. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich = boss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
although in all that he didn't state what was actually wrong with the game and what was going to be fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for the developer who got nailed to the wall, but I'm happy that the gameplay issues will be rectified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
although in all that he didn't state what was actually wrong with the game and what was going to be fixed

For that, there is a link to Tom Chick's review. It mirrors much of our own list of what needs doing and why.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tablandford austin
msg tools
I don't know. I have played the game quite a lot and read the article. I admit the rules could use a bit more clarity but I thought everything else was well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am actually a little upset. A comprehensive FAQ is all that's needed. If they must re-release it, they better add extra content or new mechanics, because I am not buying a working game twice.

edit: Correction, of course I am buying it twice. There is only one kind of love in board gaming and that is compulsive love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterpotamus wrote:
I am actually a little upset. A comprehensive FAQ is all that's needed. If they must re-release it, they better add extra content or new mechanics, because I am not buying a working game twice.

I do believe he did state they would fix those who had the 1st edition so that it's working up to the standards they are expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asen, don't worry, I know for a fact that Alan and the VPG crew are trying actively not to alienate early supporters like yourself. They'll be doing whatever they can to make this right with you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the answer is "When its done" but does anyone have a guesstimate as to how long it may take before it's available again? I was really hoping to have this for the Thanksgiving holiday.

On the worried side, I hope VPG doesn't change too much. I love the standees! Maybe add the color to the standee cross piece to assist people that have issues with them. Clean up the rule book and maybe provide scorecards with a counter to keep track of your score. I have no issues with the font but I hope they keep it unique rather than choosing something generic. I also don't have any gripes with the name but if they are considering changing it, here's a few ideas:

Valhalla's Finest
Asgard's Honored
Legendary Vikings

those are just off of the top of my head and probably not all that great but I just thought I'd throw them out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
You didn't hear it from me but...

The game should be re-released before Thanksgiving. Obviously things can get in the way, but short of major problems with the game being revealed, the fixes should be wrapped up relatively quickly.

Also, Jeremy is right, we don't want to punish or alienate our early customers. We want to support the people who supported us; we are definitely planing on making you guys good and not forcing you to re-buy the game. However, what form this will take is still up in the air, we'll have to see how all the changes pan out and all what components are changed to determine how to make you good.

As for the changes, things are in too early a state for me to say much of what all is being fixed. Suffice to say that graphics/layout and the rulebook are getting a makeover. We are also making some small tweaks to the different characters to better balance the game. A few more substantial changes are on the table, but nothing definitive yet.

However, people should be pleased to hear, we have absolutely NO intention to change the ship standees. They look too great to turn into counters. We may make some tweaks to them to improve visibility; but worry not, your viking longships will stand tall!

Once again, all of us here at VPG sincerely apologize for this screw up and greatly appreciate all your patience, support, and understanding. We pride ourselves on producing great games, and will make sure Vikings stays in that tradition.

Kevin Fortuna,
Game Developer, VPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick add-on to Tim's name suggestions above:

Valhalla's Vikings
Voyage of the Vikings
The Viking Voyage

The suggestions above keep the same double VV structure as the original game so might sound similar enough to know they are related games but yet different enough to hold a more appropriate meaning.

(I personally don't subscribe to the brandishing Vikings or the Viking age as "villainous")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
I first played this in prototype form at WBC in 2013 and followed it's development a little bit over the last year...but I was surprised to find it in published form at WBC 2014, and quickly snatched up a copy.

We played it several times at WBC, and a few time since. Fortunately Jeremy was close by to answer some questions at WBC. Bottom line - I like this game quite a bit as is, but am glad to hear that VPG is going to give it a little more love. I'm also glad to hear that the little standing ships are staying...I really like those, though I agree the colors need to be a bit more visible (and the green and blue need to be more distinct). I really like the "puzzle board" - very unique and different from the normal folding boards.

Couple of other comments/suggestions -

- The 2 circles in each territory confused us a bit, as only one longship is able to be in a territory at any given time. We assume these were just places to park the boats while the captains battled it out.

- I have some concern that some captains may be under or over-powered depending on the territories in the deck. Not sure how to fix that.

- Some captains can affect turn order during Ragnarok. We didn't quite see the purpose there...

- Lastly, and this was mentioned already, but I think improved dice are a must.

In any case, I just want to repeat that I really enjoy the game, and eagerly await Version 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
ezeqiel wrote:
Just a quick add-on to Tim's name suggestions above:

Valhalla's Vikings
Voyage of the Vikings
The Viking Voyage

The suggestions above keep the same double VV structure as the original game so might sound similar enough to know they are related games but yet different enough to hold a more appropriate meaning.

(I personally don't subscribe to the brandishing Vikings or the Viking age as "villainous")

Yeah, villainous is such a light, whimsical word considering the subject matter. I would love for the name to change to reflect the nature of the game better; voyage is also a bad fit, it's tame and sends the wrong message IMO. I'd go for something like Fury of the North, Saga of Conquest, Glory to Valhalla, something generic and evocative like that.

Anyway, since this is happening, here's my two cents:

-The rulebook should be formatted a little more intuitively, and the language needs to be uniform, maybe supplemented by a short glossary of game terms. That being said, the current rulebook is fine, if anything it sure got the game's BGG page a lot of traffic.

-Standees or flat markers, it's all the same to me. The first thing that struck me with this game is that the map itself was more of a cosmetic component. It's a reference board and gold tracker, but other than that it didn't need to be this big or even exist, so it's a bonus it's even in the game. With a smaller format rulebook and 8 cards representing each region and the Northlands, the map could've been scrapped and the game could've fit in a box the size of Death Angel's box or smaller. I am not saying this is a good idea, I am just sharing my preference for minimalism.

-The two reward tokens, Conquest Legacy and the other one, perhaps need to have a small picture on them to distinguish them, they're a tad bland.

-The mechanics should not be touched. When we first got the game we played it 7 times in a row. I played it with a different group two days later, and they couldn't get enough of it. It's easy to teach, plays fast, it's highly strategic yet free of AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If they are going to change the name, might as well ditch the double V's and go for saga, raid, or some other term that evokes Vikings.

In the end I hope VP does not overcompensate. The game plays great. However, I would never argue against better components, and even more components, as long as it doesn't clutter the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game yet but from what I have seen from watching videos, the few things I would like to see is a score card for each player with a unique shield counter used to keep score with and custom dice that didn't require stickers. Of course this would definitly increase the price of the game but it would be worth it to me and I would be willing to pay the extra for those components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Valorous Vikings?

Valorous definition: Valiant, bold, courageous.

Examples of VALOROUS:

valorous deeds that will be long remembered

Maybe use "Deeds that will be long remembered" as a subtitle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
trakes wrote:
I don't own the game yet but from what I have seen from watching videos, the few things I would like to see is a score card for each player with a unique shield counter used to keep score with and custom dice that didn't require stickers. Of course this would definitly increase the price of the game but it would be worth it to me and I would be willing to pay the extra for those components.

I would love to not see that. Scoring happens only once in the game- doing it every turn is unnecessary book-keeping.

Plus, if you rely on it, you might screw up your final score by forgetting to note something small like trading a Location for its sacrifice effect. The only way to make sure you've got the right score is to count everything in the end, which makes the scoreboards redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asen,

What you said makes a lot of sense. I agree the scoreboard would be a bit overkill now that I think about it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree too. We tried a score card and it was unnecessary and created a new phase: accounting... not very Viking!

If they just created another print of the shield tokens to put on the ships the components would be good to go. We have been using color coded wooden cubes and it work nicely but I really like the VP laser cut tokens so more please!

I am not bothered by the sticker dice so much as not having a full set of four dice, especially for the Ragnorok phase.

The last piece would be the rulebook...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
If they just created another print of the shield tokens to put on the ships the components would be good to go.

You mean to mark which ship belongs to which player? Yeah, I'd like that too. Or, as someone suggested above, color-code the ship sections into 4 sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that the 2nd edition team is monitoring this board and your discussions.

Alan Emrich
Publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Be aware that the 2nd edition team is monitoring this board and your discussions.

Alan Emrich
Publisher

In that case, I shared most of this with Jeremy but will post here also.

The fix for components could be a token board with two shield of each color and the boat bottom cross piece in matching colors. The cross piece would be to further identify the boats. I would probably just keep my boats as is because of aesthetics but I think the cross piece is the cleanest cheapest fix for people who claim the boats are too difficult to track. One shield would go on player's long boats. The second shield would be part of my suggested rules change. For Bribe to be useful it needs to be exclusive to the bribing captain. In other words, "A Captain may bride a location to permanently reduce the number of Combat dice they need to face, place a shield token on the location card." Another captain could still swoop in and raid the location but would not be able to take advantage of the bribe.

Other stuff:
-Rebalancing of the certain Captains because no one ever wants to use some of them. (my moto: Do not power down, power up! LOL)
-The rules need to clarify if the map circles represent a two boat limitation in each region.
-Editing of rule book for clarity, flow, etc.

That's it for now. Great game overall from an awesome company. I want to travel down from NorCal someday for a tour, if that is a possibility!?

EDIT: If Bribe is non-transferable I want to test it at 3 gold instead of 2 so it costs the equivalent of 1 vp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.