19 Posts

Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » General

Subject: Outfit Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jet Kinen
Brazil
flag msg tools
So i've searched about this and didn't found much.

Are there any plans on making different versions of the Outfit Cards? Like FFG with the Indentity cards in Netrunner and whatnot.

Or those cards are going to stay as the only ones for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I feel certain there will be many new outfits over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, the CCG ended up with about 36 different Outfit cards by the time the series wrapped. Granted those were spread over 10 factions, but I would be seriously surprised if we don't see new outfits in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jet Kinen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Ah, i see, That's good to hear.

I was mostly in doubt about that because different from again from Netrunner, the names of the outfits seemed pretty final.

The Law Dogs faction outfit being "the Law Dogs" made it for me difficult to separate outfits/factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question asked is: will there be different versions of the Law Dogs outfit with different outfit abilities? Entirely new outfits with almost certainly be introduced at some point, but will existing outfits get new outfit cards?

Apologies if I've misunderstood the question and/or answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark already confirmed in the GG podcast that there will be new Outfits available in the future. They're supposed to appear in the Pinebox expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Torrens
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, previously Law Dogs had the following outfit names:

Law Dogs
Law Dogs: Hunter's Office
Law Dogs: Mob Justice

and each had a varied starting cash, production and home ability. Allowed for differing deck designs around the same set of dudes. I'd expect similar formats for our new masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
I think the question asked is: will there be different versions of the Law Dogs outfit with different outfit abilities? Entirely new outfits with almost certainly be introduced at some point, but will existing outfits get new outfit cards?

Apologies if I've misunderstood the question and/or answers.

Yes to both.

The original game started with Law Dogs, Blackjacks, and Either Sweetrock or Collegium, I forget which came first. That was followed quickly by The Texas Rangers, The Agency, The Maze Rats, The Souix Union, The Whatleys, and The Flock. Eventually The Lost Angels replaced The Flock during the last year or so.

For one, I'm really hoping we get The Agency and Texas Rangers back. They were Union and Confederate monster hunting factions that, because the civil war is ongoing in Deadlands, were at odds with each other.

Whatleys were somewhat similar to The Fourth Ring. An Adams Family filled with abominations.

The Maze Rats were Chinese pirates that operated in the Maze.

The Flock were religious zealots.

Collegium were mad scientists.

The Souix Union was an alliance of Native Americans, with a heavy Sprit theme.

Sweetrock was an aggressive mining company. (Fun Trivia: Max Baine was a fairly major Sweetrock dude in the CCG era.)

Blackjacks were the outlaw gang. Black Jack himself went off the rails after Sweetrock screwed him out of his strike (hence the Jackson's Strike card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
StarkeRealm wrote:

For one, I'm really hoping we get The Agency and Texas Rangers back. They were Union and Confederate monster hunting factions that, because the civil war is ongoing in Deadlands, were at odds with each other.

We already have pretty much rock solid confirmation that we won't be getting agency and rangers back as their own factions. AEG consider's them to be "redundant" with Law Dogs, because the same sort of player is attracted to all three factions, so they overlap each other a lot.

It's debatable whether this means that all the Agency/Ranger/Law dog dudes will just be Law Dogs (I hope not, as it makes no sense whatsoever for rangers and agency to be the same faction), or whether agency and rangers jsut won't show up in any signifcant number.

It's also worth noting, that the Ranger's weren't really monster hunters, they were largely indiffernet to monsters, except when the mosnters violated the law. They were effectively the Confederate police force, and they had no qualms using the monsters as it suited their needs.

Agency, on the other hand, were more focused on wetworks style monster hunting. The Agency (at elast the higher ups) understand a significant amount more than the average populace about what's happening.

The Agency exists to find and eliminate monsters.

StarkeRealm wrote:

Whatleys were somewhat similar to The Fourth Ring. An Adams Family filled with abominations.

The Maze Rats were Chinese pirates that operated in the Maze.

The Flock were religious zealots.

Collegium were mad scientists.

The Souix Union was an alliance of Native Americans, with a heavy Sprit theme.

Sweetrock was an aggressive mining company. (Fun Trivia: Max Baine was a fairly major Sweetrock dude in the CCG era.)

Blackjacks were the outlaw gang. Black Jack himself went off the rails after Sweetrock screwed him out of his strike (hence the Jackson's Strike card.)

All of these factions were fairly specific to the original story, and we won't likely see them again. We may see similar themed factions or subfactions, but not these specific ones. For instance, The collegium seems to be replaced with a Research and Development sub-theme within Morgan Cattle Company.

Two new factions I would not be surprised to see (and fully expect to see) are a monster hunting faction and a Shaman/native american faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The podcast interviews confirm that more outfit cards are coming, and the impression I got was that these will not be too far out.

We know that Blessed and Shaman exist but have not yet been seen, I expect to see factions eventually that emphasize these but they have said that new factions are a long way off so we'll probably see them first on specific dudes in the existing factions. That also implies that at least some of these dudes will be suitable to start with or else it would be too much risk to put them in your deck and hope to draw both the dude and the spell. So I would say that both skills will occur on some 0-1 upkeep dudes although they may occur on more premium dudes also.

It makes sense to me that something like Texas Rangers could exist as a sub theme within Law Dogs accompanied by a separate Outfit card and does not necessarily have to be a separate faction. Just start printing "Ranger" on a selection of dudes right where some of the existing ones say "Deputy" and pretty soon you've got enough that your Outfit card can provide some synergy with that or maybe an Action card that works with Rangers. Easy peasy.

I still want my darn Indians though. Can't have cowboys without Indians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:

(I hope not, as it makes no sense whatsoever for rangers and agency to be the same faction)

Well, The Coalition would disagree.

That is Katie Karl side-by-side with The Ghost. Admittedly it was an alliance of convenience (Kill the Whateleys).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:

We already have pretty much rock solid confirmation that we won't be getting agency and rangers back as their own factions. AEG consider's them to be "redundant" with Law Dogs, because the same sort of player is attracted to all three factions, so they overlap each other a lot.

That's actually a real shame. I really loved those factions.

Bithlord wrote:
All of these factions were fairly specific to the original story, and we won't likely see them again. We may see similar themed factions or subfactions, but not these specific ones. For instance, The collegium seems to be replaced with a Research and Development sub-theme within Morgan Cattle Company.

Two new factions I would not be surprised to see (and fully expect to see) are a monster hunting faction and a Shaman/native american faction.

I wasn't including the list because I thought that was where the game was going, it was a historical footnote for the guy asking about other outfits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:

Thing is though, every faction is somebody's favorite faction. Can't include them all. With the smaller number of cards in a non-collectible format I think it makes sense to want to limit the number of factions. Not necessarily to just FOUR, but still keep it to a reasonable number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I think producing additional "subgroups" within the existing factions it the way to go, given that the card pool will be growing only slowly.

As an example (already given in part upthread), you could easily produce a home called simply, "Texas Rangers," stick the badge symbol on it that the Law Dogs already use, and produce a bunch of Ranger style dudes that support a gameplay style introduced with that home.

Combining outfits this way produces more opportunities for interesting decks, I think, where more distinct outfits creates restrictions for deckbuilding that needn't necessarily be in place.

All that's not to say there could never be new factions, but I'd like to see a *really* strong justification for it. To me, monster hunting is already represented in the Law Dogs, for example, and if that's going to be an outfit's theme, I'd rather see it as a Dogs home with a selection of new dudes rather than a new outfit.

Likewise, I hope that skills are spread around a bit more than they were in classic, and not linked to specific outfits. So far, I like that each skill in the game is already represented primarily in one faction, but also with a drifter and a dude in another outfit. I hope they keep that up for the sake of deck diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
AEGTodd wrote:

That is Katie Karl side-by-side with The Ghost. Admittedly it was an alliance of convenience (Kill the Whateleys).

I'd also argue that they remained separate outfits, but they shared a home.

Personally, I'd *loooove* to see future outfits (where reasonable) have distinct home names, but share outfit symbols with existing factions. So a Texas Rangers outfit, for example, would have the symbol on the Law Dogs right now, but the home wouldn't be "Law Dogs: Texas Rangers," it'd simply be "Texas Rangers."

That way, outfits can keep evolving (and outright change) for the purposes of story, while still keeping new groups on even footing in gameplay by giving them access to a wider pool of dudes.

Deckbuilding is more interesting this way, too, because 4 outfits with 2 homes means that each of those homes has access to twice as many dudes as would be the case if it were 8 distinct outfits with 1 home each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That also would solve a small complaint I have about the first four homes not having subtitles.

I was originally imagining something like:

Law Dogs: Hunter's Office

Which makes it difficult to clearly and easily differentiate between "Law Dogs" the original outfit card and "Law Dogs" the overall factions. Just a little awkward is all.

But if you keep the icon and lose the name, you can just call it "Hunter's Office" (or whatever) and it solves that problem. Of course, it replaces it with having to remember which faction each outfit belongs to but that's not too big a deal I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Of course, it replaces it with having to remember which faction each outfit belongs to but that's not too big a deal I think.

That's what the symbol's for.

The backgrounds are pretty distinct in Reloaded, too. At least, so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I'm talking about how to discuss them in a text forum, etc... The symbol won't be visible in this case. In person with cards in hand there is of course no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:

Thing is though, every faction is somebody's favorite faction. Can't include them all. With the smaller number of cards in a non-collectible format I think it makes sense to want to limit the number of factions. Not necessarily to just FOUR, but still keep it to a reasonable number.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be confrontational. Can I just lament their passing for a moment, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.