GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,325 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Souvenirs, Certificates and the Swastika blouse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Uncle_Bob [+] [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks back I posted a thread showing souvenirs my dad brought back from Germany: My private stash of captured U-boat materiel. I mentioned then that most of the souvenirs he brought back from overseas are long gone. But not all.

Back around 2000 or so, I mentioned to my mom that when I was little I really liked the set of red figures my dad brought back from China. Apparently mom still had what was left of them packed away somewhere, and sent it to me. A couple of guys are missing, and the main figure has taken some damage, but I'm still very happy to have it. Wikipedia says the central figure is known as Budai in China and Hotei in Japan, but my dad called it Hotei and said he was from China, so I go with that:

The carved sampan came in the same package with the hotei; I hadn't seen either in decades. The bills and coin are what's left of a shoe box full of Chinese money that my younger sister and I played with when we were small.

Next up, certificates. The Exiles of the Earth is interesting; I see one dated 1923 listed on eBay, while my dad's from 1937 has a different design. The eBay link has some info about the ceremony.

The Soochow Creek certificate is for action during the 1937 Japanese attack. There were both marine and navy versions, and there was also a 1932 Soochow Creek medal.

The Order of Neptune was from the voyage taking General George Marshall to Rio de Janeiro in 1939.

OK, now for the swastika blouse. I've visited my last living aunt a couple of times recently, and the last time I took my laptop and was showing her some old pictures which she really enjoyed. When we got to the one below, she said "oh, that's my swastika blouse."

"Your what?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"My swastika blouse!" she repeated. "Your father brought back a big suitcase full of nazi flags. Good cloth had been scarce during the war, and we were glad to get them. Your mom got the biggest, and made a dress, and the rest of us got smaller ones and we made blouses."

Finally I have a question. The real treasure amongst my dad's souvenirs is a large leather bound photo album, with more than 80 pages of pictures, titled 'In Memory of My China Cruise'. It has pictures from all over China, plus the Philippines, Japan, French Indo China, etc. There are some cool military pics, but mixed in with all kinds of other stuff and I don't intend to go nuts picking and choosing; it's all or nothing. How interested are people in seeing something like that?

For me it's an interesting time capsule from another world, but I don't want to be your Uncle Bob boring everyone to tears with the family slide show. It would be a big job uploading and captioning all that, so please be brutally honest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The swastika blouse is pretty amazing. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[W] [O] [P] [R]
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Finally I have a question. The real treasure amongst my dad's souvenirs is a large leather bound photo album, with more than 80 pages of pictures, titled 'In Memory of My China Cruise'. It has pictures from all over China, plus the Philippines, Japan, French Indo China, etc. There are some cool military pics, but mixed in with all kinds of other stuff and I don't intend to go nuts picking and choosing; it's all or nothing. How interested are people in seeing something like that?

For me it's an interesting time capsule from another world, but I don't want to be your Uncle Bob boring everyone to tears with the family slide show. It would be a big job uploading and captioning all that, so please be brutally honest!

You should absolutely do this. I think it will be a rewarding journey for you, at the very least, and that's reason enough, but I would expect it to draw interest of others, as well. It could be the start of some amazing contributions from other people who might be inspired to dust off old photo albums.

How amazing would it be to link personal war stories from first-person accounts and relatives, told with contributions from all over the world? It can be done here if enough people have the will to contribute.

It's a fitting memorial that this part of his life can now be shared with the entire world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would love to see the China Cruise pics.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:

I would love to see the China Cruise pics.

thumbsup

+1

Tell us Uncle Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a brilliant use for such a hateful object! Great stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Post this stuff!

BTW, reddit has this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical photos with provenance are priceless. Let er rip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A digital web based version of 'In Memory of My China Cruise' would be of interest to a great many people. It would be a commendable project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, Uncle Bob, post them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Post this stuff!

BTW, reddit has this:

I'm sure reddit would attract more attention, but that doesn't appeal to me. It took long enough to decide I would mention it here, where I feel I'm largely among friends. I don't do facebook, twitter, instagram, reddit, or whatever else there is out there; BGG is as close as I come to social media.

I do think my fellow wargamers will find much of it interesting, not only for the military photos but due to our shared interest in history generally. There was a lot going on in Asia between the world wars, and quite a few of the images tie in to historical events for which I'll add links to wikipedia or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story thus far. Yes, please post the photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested in those photos, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Loving the memories George, please post more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all pretty fascinating. I've reached the age where this reminds me of members of my family now gone, who were from the same generation. I really enjoyed seeing glimpses of the lives of those in your family from the same era. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:
A digital web based version of 'In Memory of My China Cruise' would be of interest to a great many people. It would be a commendable project.

+1

Also very interested in seeing the photos. I remember at least one Kickstarter project which involved a guy who digitized a large volume of photos taken by his dad who was a prolific amateur photographer.

Not that you have to go the KS route, but just throwing this out as an example of another person's approach to sharing photos he believed were worth sharing and needed additional resources to make it happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewryanphoto/the-ph...

The historic and cultural value of the photos I think, would be appreciated by many people not just posters here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
spacerx wrote:

+1

Also very interested in seeing the photos. I remember at least one Kickstarter project which involved a guy who digitized a large volume of photos taken by his dad who was a prolific amateur photographer.

Not that you have to go the KS route, but just throwing this out as an example of another person's approach to sharing photos he believed were worth sharing and needed additional resources to make it happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewryanphoto/the-ph...

The historic and cultural value of the photos I think, would be appreciated by many people not just posters here on BGG.

I appreciate the thought, but if you have to bet on which comes first, the Cubs winning the World Series or me launching a kickstarter, take the Cubbies.

Seriously, I'm not looking to profit. I've basically decided I'm going to go for it; now I just have to knuckle down and get it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like to see the photo. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if the photos were dated or not, but I recall another project someone did "blogging" from World War 1.

Basically, posting letters the soldier had written home exactly 90 years (to the day) after they were sent. It created an interesting effect, as days or weeks could go by with no updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
Sphere wrote:

[...]

I've basically decided I'm going to go for it; now I just have to knuckle down and get it done.

Thank you in advance, George. I am very much looking forward to seeing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:
Post this stuff!

BTW, reddit has this:

I'm sure reddit would attract more attention, but that doesn't appeal to me. It took long enough to decide I would mention it here, where I feel I'm largely among friends. I don't do facebook, twitter, instagram, reddit, or whatever else there is out there; BGG is as close as I come to social media.

I do think my fellow wargamers will find much of it interesting, not only for the military photos but due to our shared interest in history generally. There was a lot going on in Asia between the world wars, and quite a few of the images tie in to historical events for which I'll add links to wikipedia or whatever.

My Dad lead a big band tour of the Orient in the 30s (okay, it wasn't that big). His trunks had stickers from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, et. al..
The only pictures he took were of his band! Dang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moron Tom wrote:
My Dad lead a big band tour of the Orient in the 30s (okay, it wasn't that big). His trunks had stickers from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, et. al..

Sounds like they were in the same places around the same time; you never know, my dad might have seen your dad's band. He was definitely interested in music; played trumpet himself well enough that he did solos at football games during halftime, and his dad was a professional musician. The pictures I'm going to post include some clubs where your dad might have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[W] [O] [P] [R]
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Moron Tom wrote:

Sounds like they were in the same places around the same time; you never know, my dad might have seen your dad's band. He was definitely interested in music; played trumpet himself well enough that he did solos at football games during halftime, and his dad was a professional musician. The pictures I'm going to post include some clubs where your dad might have played.

Any thoughts on organization?

Might I suggest you consider adding an entry for your father in the wargaming wiki. The wiki seems like a simple way to organize and link personal stories.

A memorial splash page could be set up on the wiki with names that people could click on.

Stories can then be cross-referenced with battles, perhaps wargames and other personal accounts when appropriate.

There might be a better method. If someone has any ideas, please post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
truflepig wrote:

Any thoughts on organization?

Might I suggest you consider adding an entry for your father in the wargaming wiki. The wiki seems like a simple way to organize and link personal stories.

A memorial splash page could be set up on the wiki with names that people could click on.

Stories can then be cross-referenced with battles, perhaps wargames and other personal accounts when appropriate.

There might be a better method. If someone has any ideas, please post.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think a wiki would be the best vehicle for my purposes. I'm thinking in terms of showing the pictures and discussing them with my friends rather than providing a historical reference. What I don't know about these pictures outweighs what I do know by a wide margin, and I'm hopeful that the exchange of knowledge will be a two way street.

My plan is to do a GeekList with 83 entries, one for the cover and one for each page - over 200 pictures altogether. I'll be telling stories in some cases, but there are a lot of pictures for which I hope to tap into the BGG hive mind and learn more myself.

I'll give some examples. I was writing a caption last night for a panorama of the harbor at Hong Kong circa 1935. There are 3 U.S.N. four-pipers (Clemson class destroyers) present, and lots of junks and smaller vessels, but there are also several foreign ships which I can't identify. I'll be surprised if there aren't people here who know more about such things and who will be able to tell me something about them. There is a picture of biplanes in formation - I'd like to know what type. There are pictures of coastal gun installations - I bet there are artillery buffs here who can enlighten me with particulars.

What I'm really hoping for is that BGG'ers from China, Japan, The Philippines, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Thailand can tell me more about some of the pictures taken 80 years ago in their homelands. I see processions and don't know if they are funerals or celebrations or what. I see beautiful buildings and temples and wonder whether they still exist after the wars. In some cases, there aren't even captions telling me what country these places are in.

In its final form, I hope this will become a collaborative effort where I can share things I know and expand my knowledge as others share what they know. Basically I'll be planting a tree, and eager to see how it grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just remember to scan them at 72dpi so the list is not a bugger to view.

This will be a lot of images.

Looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.